Why did Satan want Jesus to worship him?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Matthew 4:8-9 New King James Version (NKJV)

8 Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.
9 And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

8 Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.
9 And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”

I suppose satan tried to Get Jesus to succumb to temptation. Jesus answered with scripture -

Deuteronomy 6:13 KJV - Deuteronomy 6:16 KJV -

Deuteronomy 8:3 KJV -

musterion

So He'd break the Law, specifically, the first commandment.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is it not that he wanted to accomplish his goal of ascending higher than God?

everready

Always has been and always will be until Jesus comes back to put an end to his madness.

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

everready

musterion

Would it have accomplished that goal, in actuality? Or would it have disqualified Him as Messiah? The latter for sure; not sure how it'd accomplish the former but I'm willing to listen and consider.

Muires

I have wondered about that, too. There's something self-destructive in the idea of Jesus worshiping the devil. He would have to let go of his own powers.