ECT Why did Adam name the animals and how many animals did he name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tieman55

Why did Adam name the animals and how many animals did he name?

RE: Genesis 2:18-20

God says Adam shouldn't be alone and then He makes the animals, not Eve, interesting.

God then has Adam name some quantity of animals and a helper is not found, again interesting.

God knew that Adam's mate was not among the beast of the fields, so the only one who didn't know a mate wasn't there was Adam.

So, why did God want Adam to discover for himself that a mate wasn't among the animals?

My answer: God wanted to make sure that His newly created son freely performed as designed.

Adam was naked as he named the animals. God could "observe" if a mate was found. Not an easily palatable observation, but perhaps one that need be stomached.

If God would have seen an aroused Adam, we wouldn't be here as Eve would have never have been made

From the observations made above, do we now have a better idea of how many animals needed to be named to achieve God's goal?

While we can't know, we can in prose construct a plausible scenario to what "may" have happened because we now admit to why it happened.

I don't believe God arbitrarily picked the animals or the order in which Adam is presented with them.

Perhaps, God starts out with a few foul. The foul fly to Adam, and he handles them touching exploring and commenting before saying this is a hen, a pen and a cob.

And then three animals walk up, Adam again handles, holds and examines the three and says, a dog, a hob and a cat. Again, three more animals walk up, more to Adam's size. Adam approaches the animals a bit differently, they are to big to be held. His examination continues and he says, a cow, a sow and a doe. They are all female.

That makes 9 animals the number of judgment. No more are needed. God can “see” that Adam is not interested. The job is done. God's goal is achieved.

Now, the better one knows God the better the truth will ring true. At my level of knowing God those events ring plausible to me. Now comes my observation of God's love for symbolism, that allows me to make one additional leap of conjecture.

God brings one more animal to Adam as the stakes are creation itself. A “tenth” animal, the animal is half the size of Adam as it walks slowly up to him. The naked man walks around the animal, giving it a close physical examination. Again Adam behaves as intended by God. Adam says, this is a ewe. God is pleased.

The very next naming event is that of Adam's naming of Eve.

Exploring the similarities between the two names, ewe and Eve is fun, interesting and adds some weight to the idea that the names may not be coincidental.

First as to translations. God created languages, not man, so there is no translation issue here for me.

Next “w” double “U” . In English we say double u but in Latin it is double “V”. So the ewe is really evve. e double v e, a double v is the what Adam probably saw. That is as far as will go with that!

Eve, with a single V. V is the shape that Adam saw, that all men see, as he looked at the naked Eve.
A “V” surrounded by E den. For me the simplest explanation is always preferred and she was Eve.

I like the symbolism of a ewe being the tenth animal. Perhaps only a few days later, two ewes were used as a sacrifice to clothe Adam and Eve. When a tenth was needed a tenth was provided.

Of course this is all conjecture but it does fit nicely with the text we have. The idea of naming "all" the animals stretches credulity with me. And for me the above works well in Novel form, which I did in "Killing Abel" my Novel about the early days on earth. I don't believe that any of my conjecture in anyway misquotes the bible and or in any way profanes God, I would never intentionally do that.

There are not many forums that such a sensitive and important issue can be explored. Novel form (Killing Abel) is one forum and Theologyonline is another. A sermon and or a bible study on the subject is challenging LOL.

iamaberean

Why did Adam name the animals and how many animals did he name?

RE: Genesis 2:18-20

There are not many forums that such a sensitive and important issue can be explored. Novel form (Killing Abel) is one forum and Theologyonline is another. A sermon and or a bible study on the subject is challenging LOL.

Adam, named all the animals of the field - domesticated animals - and the fowl - again, domesticated birds.
A help meet that they looked for had to be of those females created in Gen 1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.