Who is the Weaker Brother?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Theology Thursday: Who is the Weaker Brother?

This is the show from Thursday, December 31st, 2016

SUMMARY:

Romans 14: Are you the weaker brother that Paul talks about? On today's Theology Thursday we hear Paul referring to the weaker brother, but what does that mean? The answer to that question is likely to surprise you? Bob shows us who Paul is referring to when he uses that term. Enjoy this enlightening message from Bob's verse by verse Bible study of chapter 14 of the book of Romans.

Last edited by a moderator:

musterion

Just finished listening to the podcast. Question...if the church at Rome was started by believing Jews dispersed from Israel - which I accept as true - wouldn't they as circumcision believers be the weaker brothers Paul talks about, according to Bob's thesis? From the start of this chapter, Paul doesn't address the Romans as the weaker believers, however, but weaker brethren as a group distinct from his Roman readers. :confused:

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Just finished listening to the podcast. Question...if the church at Rome was started by believing Jews dispersed from Israel - which I accept as true - wouldn't they as circumcision believers be the weaker brothers Paul talks about, according to Bob's thesis? From the start of this chapter, Paul doesn't address the Romans as the weaker believers, however, but another party distinct from his readers. :confused:

Maybe. Definitely when Paul talks about striving for the unity of the faith he is comparing Jewish believers trying to break from the law with gentile believers breaking away from idolatry.

Have take into consideration all of his writings. Peter showed himself weak when refusing to eat with Gentiles but some of the Gentiles would be offended if they saw other believers eating foods sacrificed to idols.

The weaker brothers are the baby believers who have not had the element of time to mature. I would classify carnal believers in a different category since their problem isn't weakness it is unfaithfulness.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Maybe. Definitely when Paul talks about striving for the unity of the faith he is comparing Jewish believers trying to break from the law with gentile believers breaking away from idolatry.

Have take into consideration all of his writings. Peter showed himself weak when refusing to eat with Gentiles but some of the Gentiles would be offended if they saw other believers eating foods sacrificed to idols.

The weaker brothers are the baby believers who have not had the element of time to mature. I would classify carnal believers in a different category since their problem isn't weakness it is unfaithfulness.

:baby:

musterion

Did you listen to the podcast?