Where did God come from?

This Charming Manc

Time is not a created thing. God experiences endless duration/sequence/succession (time) as He is from everlasting to everlasting, eternal, no beginning, no end. He is not timeless. "Eternal now" is a Platonic/Augustinian concept, not a biblical one.

Ok I think I get what you saying, but its close to a how mnay needles can sit on the head of a needle distinction. Y

You wouldnt have na issue with God is not bound by time ?

here is the question though does God encounter time or does time encounter God?

This Charming Manc

Scripture please...

Try both the 'in the beginnings', they place God before time.
Try every scripture that says God created all things, whihc must include time.
look at the scriptures that reffre to god and the passing of time, which are not linear.

Im really too lazy to pander to your ignorance, go find your own scriptures.

The Berean

Fairies, elves, hobbits, vulcans, wookies and other made up beings come from God, through the imagination of His creation.

You can thank the LORD for Chewbacca.

Rule #1: NEVER mess with a wookie. They've been known to rip men's arms off.

drbrumley

look at the scriptures that reffre to god and the passing of time, which are not linear.

Look Manc, whether anything was around or not, whether God was around or not, there is still time. Say there was nothing ever created, time as you call it would still exist. Time is only a measurement we use, since God created created for us ways to tell time.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

First off, the beginning of what? It does not say the beginning of time, anywhere. One must assume that it is referring to time, without any support, in order to conclude that it means time. It is circular reasoning at its worst.

And there is also nothing to indicate that time is a created thing. Or that it is even a thing. So, no, there is no "must" about including time.

And what verses refer to God and the passing of time are not linear?

FYI, I already know the verses. And I am not too lazy to allow you to remain ignorant. If anyone walks away from this it will be you.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Fairies, elves, hobbits, vulcans, wookies and other made up beings come from God, through the imagination of His creation.

You can thank the LORD for Chewbacca.

Man has creative ability. George Lucas, not God, is the one to thank. We thank God for life and ability. We do not thank him for evil that man creates nor is He directly responsible for secular man's creative acts. Adam gave names to the animals, not God.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Ok I think I get what you saying, but its close to a how mnay needles can sit on the head of a needle distinction. Y

There are two major theories about time: A and B theory. A theory relates to endless time (presentism), while B theory relates more to timelessness (eternalism). They are mutually exclusive views with only one being right. I think it is more than theoretical or academic, but has practical implications to God and creation.

Just because God experiences duration rather than simultaneity does not mean He is limited by time like we are. He is not bound by time, but it is an aspect of His personal experience.

I am not sure how to answer your last question.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

There are a few proof texts, but godly philosophy is also required to sort this issue out.

The beginning refers to material creation and the start of our unique MEASURE of time (sun, moon, stars), not time itself (duration was experienced by the triune God before creation or creation is co-eternal with God). Did God create Alice in Wonderland? Your computer? Square circles or married bachelors? Time is not a created thing, but a concept. You cannot touch, see, feel, hear, smell time. It is a wrong assumption to think time is created or that it will cease to exist.

Scripture shows God experiencing endless time, having a history, creating, incarnating, returning in sequence, not in an 'eternal now' (whatever that could be). Time is unidirectional. The future is not yet. The potential future becomes the fixed past through the present, even for God (experiences divine temporality...from everlasting to everlasting Ps. 90:2; Rev. 1:4...tensed expressions about God).

eveningsky339

God created time. Where there is no time, there is no beginning. Simple quantum physics. :p

By definition, God didn't come from anywhere. He is Logos.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God created time. Where there is no time, there is no beginning. Simple quantum physics. :p

By definition, God didn't come from anywhere. He is Logos.

Time is not a created thing. Endless time has no beginning but it is sequence, nonetheless. Duration is not a thing you can put under a microscope or analyze in the lab or perceive with the senses.

Issues before creation are not related to physics. The triune God experiences duration even before matter and physics. A personal being must think, act, feel in sequence, not in one timeless simultaneity.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I haven't been proven wrong yet.

You plan on waiting like George Carlin did? He expects you to confess him before men first. A little humility. You won't even get a drip for your tongue to quench the burn.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What?

What does the Bible say, instead of a tired atheist based cliche with no meaning. Genesis 1 says in the begining, God created the heavens and the earth. So before he did that....

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Here is physics' problem when it comes to time: no evidence, whatsoever, that time is a thing/dimension. None. At least evolution has evidence. And before you bite my head off, evidence is not always proof. So, no, there is no proof for evolution.

God did not create time. Time is an attribute of existence. And since God has always existed there has always been time.

But if you want to continue to believe God created time, how about you tell us when He decided to create it...

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
the Infinity of God beyond measure

the Infinity of God beyond measure

Time is not a created thing. Endless time has no beginning but it is sequence, nonetheless. Duration is not a thing you can put under a microscope or analyze in the lab or perceive with the senses.

Issues before creation are not related to physics. The triune God experiences duration even before matter and physics. A personal being must think, act, feel in sequence, not in one timeless simultaneity.

Some of the 'endless time' and 'eternal now' contests are semantics(touching various philosophical and metaphysical logics) in some respects as we've explored before. We can theorize 'endless time' as well as an 'eternal simultaneous NOW', each within their own logic-references and 'contexts'. We may figure 'endless duration of existence', as well as God existing in an eternal NOW...for both are true (from their own vector-points). There is always and forever the reality of 'now'....for all eternity.

Again,...many dimensional aspects to these issues. God has both existed for an 'eternity of time' as well as has forever existed as a 'simultaneous ISness of Pure BEING'. God's Isness is Eternal. His I AM-ness is always present. 'God' in His Pure Indefinity is always beyond definition or measurement, being an eternal infinity and infinite eternity...so that aspects of His Being are both within and without time. - back to nuance, dimension and perspective. All space/time creation and dimensions arise within God, He contains them while remaining Himself uncontainable.

pj

amosman

So we get that "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

How did God come to be "In the beginning"?

How can God come to be when He is the One the Is and Was and Will be. You see God Was before the beginning of the universe. God is infinite, no beginning and no end. YHVH said to Moses " Say that I Am". That should be good enough.

journaler

Again,...many dimensional aspects to these issues. God has both existed for an 'eternity of time' as well as has forever existed as a 'simultaneous ISness of Pure BEING'. God's Isness is Eternal. His I AM-ness is always present. 'God' in His Pure Indefinity is always beyond definition or measurement, being an eternal infinity and infinite eternity...so that aspects of His Being are both within and without time. - back to nuance, dimension and perspective. All space/time creation and dimensions arise within God, He contains them while remaining Himself uncontainable.

pj

i try to understand god, but it's too big of a thing for me.

This Charming Manc

Look Manc, whether anything was around or not, whether God was around or not, there is still time. Say there was nothing ever created, time as you call it would still exist. Time is only a measurement we use, since God created created for us ways to tell time.

In essence time is 'the measurement of change' for time to exist in any meaningful way change needs to exists.

Seeing as the Godhead does not change and is eternal time does not exist before the created world.

The concept that time is everlasting is not one taught in scipture, and if you see God as subject to time you see him as subject to the universe and lord over the universe.