What's calvinism?

lost anomaly

I'm seeing all these threads abou calvinism and I have no idea what it is. Anybody want to take time to explain this to me?

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!:jump:

Sozo

Re: What's calvinism?

Originally posted by lost anomaly

I'm seeing all these threads abou calvinism and I have no idea what it is. Anybody want to take time to explain this to me?
It is a philosophical contradiction, that is based on an evil, puppeteer like god.

John Reformed

Calvinism \Cal"vin*ism\, n. [Cf. F. Calvinisme.] The theological tenets or doctrines of John Calvin (a French theologian and reformer of the 16th century) and his followers, or of the so-called calvinistic churches.
Note: The distinguishing doctrines of this system, usually termed the five points of Calvinism, are original sin or total depravity, election or predestination, particular redemption, effectual calling, and the perseverance of the saints. It has been subject to many variations and modifications in different churches and at various times.

For more info www.reformed.org

God Bless,
John Reformed

Swordsman

Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Originally posted by Sozo

It is a philosophical contradiction, that is based on an evil, puppeteer like god.

Because your spritual eyes are closed my dear friend Sozo. ;)

Sozo

Re: Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Re: Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Originally posted by Swordsman

Because your spritual eyes are closed my dear friend Sozo. ;)

I know hundred times more about your heresy, then you will ever learn about it in your lifetime.

Note: I have been known to exaggerate a point.

Swordsman

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Originally posted by Sozo

I know hundred times more about your heresy, then you will ever learn about it in your lifetime.

How could you ever know my heart Sozo? Only God knows. I make no claims about your belief. Do I?

Sozo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's calvinism?

Originally posted by Swordsman

How could you ever know my heart Sozo?

It's not a heart issue, and I don't know anyone's heart. I can only judge what someone says, and Calvinism is foreign to God.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It can also be argued that Arminianism is foreign to God's nature, so there's no point in name calling. Both sides have advantages and disadvantages in a debate.

Sozo

Originally posted by granite1010

It can also be argued that Arminianism is foreign to God's nature, so there's no point in name calling. Both sides have advantages and disadvantages in a debate.

Who's name calling? :chuckle:

And you are right about Arminianism, their god is an evil schizophrenic.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The best web site I know of that gives hard core historical facts about were the theology that we call Calvinism came from is this one...

Biblical Answers.com

This link will take you straight to an article by Bob Hill about Calvinism.

Calvinism versus the Bible

The title of the article gives away Pastor Hill's anti-Calvinist position but I encourage you to read it with an open mind and weigh the arguments made by their own merits. I think you will find that Pastor Hill is second to none when it comes to intellectually honest and well documented theological positions.

Enjoy and God bless you!

Resting in Him,
Clete

By the way...
WELCOME TO THEOLOGY ONLINE!

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

Sozo! How could you? In the 9th post of this thread, you say that Calvinism is foreign to God. How could you, Sozo? Say it ain't so, Sozo!

In Mark 4:11,12 Jesus says that He speaks in parables SO THAT some men may "see not perceive;" so that they would "hear and not understand LEST THEY SHOULD TURN AND THEIR SINS BE FORGIVEN THEM." (caps mine, of course) For that reason, He did not speak to them without a parable. Then...when they were ALONE He explained all things to His disciples (ver. 34.) Why did He explain all things to His disciples? The answer is above in the 11th verse--because to
them it had "been given to know."

Sozo! What is this? What was Jesus' REAL reason for speaking in parables? What does that teach? Why was there a "world" for which Jesus would not pray in the garden of gethsemane just prior to His work of atonement? Of what world was He speaking?
Did it have anything to do with those whom He spoke to in parables so they would see but not percieve, so they would hear but not understand?

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

Geralduk--If you are speaking of Calvinisn not being the whole counsel of God, no one would agree with you more than a Calvinist.
Calvinism, as generally perceived, is merely a doctrinal view which outlines our perception of God, His dealings with men in general, and His covenants. They are, basically, the underlying principles--not the whole counsel of God. The 5 letter acrostic, TULIP, is, in itself, even further from being the whole counsel of God.

geralduk

Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Geralduk--If you are speaking of Calvinisn not being the whole counsel of God, no one would agree with you more than a Calvinist.
Calvinism, as generally perceived, is merely a doctrinal view which outlines our perception of God, His dealings with men in general, and His covenants. They are, basically, the underlying principles--not the whole counsel of God. The 5 letter acrostic, TULIP, is, in itself, even further from being the whole counsel of God.

I would highlight the term 'GENERALLY PERCEIVED'
and THAT is what is most at fault with many budding'theologians'
is that many it would seem have liitle grasp of his 'argument' but rather have taken aboad 'TULIP' and then think by that they understand the scriptures.
I do not believe in those matters most 'debated' about calvin that they can be reduced to 'VEIWS'
But are IMPORTANT issues in their CONTEXT.
You implication of 'tulip' would seem to deny thier tenents?
Im not here to 'argue' them.
but I WOULD 'argue' those "sound doctrins" which he taught.
and which would be BETTER understood if his 'argument' was FOLOWED from the BEGINNING to the END without JUMPING to the CONCLUSIONS before hand.
But for clarities sake as to my statement that Calvanism is not the whole council of God is that in truth they could be taken as the MILK of the WORD for it would seem that those who first heard him at the beginning of the reformation were by them ABLE TO ENDURE a great many things that those who think they know more are less able even to endure "sound doctrin" let alone persecution up to and including being burnt at the stake!

So I have to wonder that they who in some eyes knew LESS WHY then they could so MUCH MORE than those who knowing more do so much LESS!
For in truth if we enjoy ANY religios liberty and political freedom NOW it is BECAUSE they from LUTHOR onwards found the truth and KNEW HIM of whom the scriptures spoke of. and DECLARED BOLDLY before all and were HIS witnesses.
Now in truth God HAS revealed more to the church from that first "the just shall live by faith" and has PROGRESIVLY unfolded His PURPOSES untill the present day.
YET how is it that we who know more cannot do as MUCH as they who knew less?
Nor have the same ZEAL AND COMMITMENT as they did who soem say they believed not the truth!
and have less LOVE for God and the truth then they manifestly had.
and in truth it is TODAY that THE church is once again gettign entangled in those things that they payed so high a price to be free from!?
and we are in a REVERSE reformation.
and are exchanging the HOLY SPIRIT for candles once again.
Truly we are in those days where there is a "great falling away" when men will not " endure sound doctrin"
So I do not discard those things that he taught for I find them in the scriptures.
Not as MEN protray whay he said but as they are so found in all the scriptures.
Nor do I stay there but seek and am "going on to perfection"
Thankfull to God for thier ministery and faithfullness.
and seeking to "contend for THE faith that was once and for all delivered unto the saints"
Not only of CALVIN but of LUTHOR and WESLEY and all those other men of God who " went a little further" even as the Lord bade them go they went.
and who were faithfull witnesses to and of the truth.

In anutshell then a 'catachism' of TULIP or any other doctrin does not by its repertition meen you UNDERSTAND them.
or ahve "come to a KNOWLEDGE of the TRUTH" concerning them.
Undersatnding them comes by prayer and the long continual consecutive thinking about them before God.
and allowing the HOLY SPIRIT to LEAD your thinking to that place where you are "fully persauded" of it.
Therefore my faith is NOT in tulip nor in CALVIN but in HIM of whom the scriptures speak of.
and it is HIM that I, by the grace of God folow.
and as I do so I do know the truth and the truth has set me free.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Calvinism=the belief that God created the majority of humanity for the sole purpose of torturing them in fire forever and no matter what these people are powerless to change the course of their eventual eternal tortured destiny in fire.

Of course Arminianism and frewillism has the same belief based upon a nearly identical outcome.

helmet84

Originally posted by smaller

Calvinism=the belief that God created the majority of humanity for the sole purpose of torturing them in fire forever and no matter what these people are powerless to change the course of their eventual eternal tortured destiny in fire.

I've never read a calvinist anywhere that says that is the sole purpose of God creating the majority of humanity.

-- helmet84

God_Is_Truth

Originally posted by helmet84

I've never read a calvinist anywhere that says that is the sole purpose of God creating the majority of humanity.

-- helmet84

that's because most of them don't know or understand the reprocussions of their own doctrine.