What other words would Jesus use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Warning: This thread contains vulgar language.
If you join the discussion, please use asterisks where appropriate.

Would Jesus call promiscuous people damned f***ers?

I'm curious as to where some people draw the line, or if they draw a line.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Lucky said:
The Bible calls people "whores" and "whoremongers." These words are too vulgar for TV today. For example, Everlast has a song called, "What it's like." The verse, "And then she heads for the clinic and she gets some static walkin' through the doors. They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner, and they call her a whore."

The word "whore" is bleeped out on TV. Liberals are too prudish compared to us Bible thumpers.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I don't think it's proper to be vulgar or obscene. I do however see a difference between vulgarity/obscenity and harshness/offesiveness. Merely being "offensive" could be as mundane as saying, "homo", while being obscene would be describing the act of a homo. I see no need in being vulgar, and seldom do I see a way around being offensive when speaking about the Rock of Offense.

Free-Agent Smith

I'll have to agree with Nineveh on this one. I know I am offensive. Heck even one of my old co-works tells me I am like acid sometimes. I have been working towards not being so acidic in my speech when talking face to face with people. I also understand that sometimes that is the only way to get people to stop and listen because trying to be "PC" doesn't always work.

Lovejoy

I am almost entirely "line." I don't think I have used a single of piece of profanity here, and almost never do elsewhere. However, I will use "heretic," "hypocrite" and words like that, and they can be very much more hurtful. They are needed, though, if we are to be any kind of guide. I believe that the strongest piece of language I have used here about anyone was "heretical cretin." There are actually a couple of people that applied to. :LoJo:

SOTK

Lucky said:
Warning: This thread contains vulgar language.
If you join the discussion, please use asterisks where appropriate.

I'm curious as to where some people draw the line, or if they draw a line.

I try hard to not use profanity. I think my wife (if she sees this threat ;) ) will attest to that. Profanity just sounds ugly even if they are words which we have made up as a race. I think I stated in one of the name-calling threads that name-calling boils down to intent or motivation. I have used certain words like idiot, godless, heretic, hypocrite, moron, etc. before to either speak a truth or to get someone's attention. There may have been a few times that I was in the wrong, but I think the majority of the time it was effective and my intent was justified.

The expletive you used above, in my opinion, is never okay. I don't think that word (nor many others) are used to speak a truth. They are meant to harm. Period. And that I don't think is okay. I know this because when I have used terms or expletives like that I did it out of anger or malice. My motivation was wrong.

I hope that makes sense.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
SOTK said:
The expletive you used above, in my opinion, is never okay. I don't think that word (nor many others) are used to speak a truth. They are meant to harm.
I agree. And I can't picture Jesus using that word.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
The words I choose are based on the present company I find myself in. Right or wrong, I tend to use expletives occassionaly/commonly on a jobsite, but I would never use that word at church or in front of women or in front of a customer. That may seem hypocritical but we all adjust our actions and demeanor according to the social climate we find ourselves in.

I have been working at cutting down on my use of certain expletives in general, I'll get there some day....

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't think people would be offended if you used that word, when you were referring to them, if all you meant was that they fornicate. Most fornicaters don't care. So it would be pointless to use it. Of course, if you call a slut a slut, they don't tend to like that. And whore isn't really popular either.;)

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse, are you saying if they did care/were offended, you would use such language?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Seeing as how it is exactly what they are doing, if they didn't like it being put in that light, then yes. It makes a difference whether or not they like the idea of being known as such. Which is why I'm not to interested in calling firechyld a queer, or aquamulier a dyke, though I have done it. They usually agree with me, seeing as how they've called themselves such things before. But firechyld denies that she's a dyke, because she's bi. So calling her a dyke works, because she needs to realize that she is one.

And since f***er doesn't tend to mean "one who fornicates" I don't think it would make much difference. And those who are proud to be known as such things don't really care if you call them such. But if I called someone who fornicates an adulterer, or slut, they would not like those terms. Most of them wouldn't anyway. And those are effective for that very reason. The truth hurts.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
And since f***er doesn't tend to mean "one who fornicates" I don't think it would make much difference.
Well, one definition is that it is a person who engages in sexual intercourse. I added "damned" to imply said sex is outside the sanctity of marriage. It's kind of a reach, but I think it works well enough for this discussion.

And I know I asked you if you would use it, but I'm also interested in hearing if you think Jesus would use such language.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
:think: I do believe that if the situation called for it, Jesus might very well use it. As long as it is in the proper context... But I think He would be more likely to use such words as, "slut," or "whore."

julie21

Lighthouse said:
:think: I do believe that if the situation called for it, Jesus might very well use it. As long as it is in the proper context... But I think He would be more likely to use such words as, "slut," or "whore."

You have been a source of great amazement to me over the past few days Lighthouse...and you continue to be even moreso with this post of yours.
I do not know what God you believe in that would firstly use the word f***er, but I would say it is not the God of the Bible...nor that He [ the God of the Bible] would call a woman a 'slut' or a ' whore'.
He did not call the woman brought before Him for having been found in adultery, a 'slut' or a ' whore'...He merely told her to "go and sin no more."

I personally do not use any of those words anymore...I once did, usually in angry outbursts, before I came to know Jesus and His word, which gave me clear direction on how I was to not let 'unwholesome' talk come out of my mouth.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
You have been a source of great amazement to me over the past few days Lighthouse...and you continue to be even moreso with this post of yours.
I do not know what God you believe in that would firstly use the word f***er, but I would say it is not the God of the Bible...nor that He [ the God of the Bible] would call a woman a 'slut' or a ' whore'.
He did not call the woman brought before Him for having been found in adultery, a 'slut' or a ' whore'...He merely told her to "go and sin no more."

I personally do not use any of those words anymore...I once did, usually in angry outbursts, before I came to know Jesus and His word, which gave me clear direction on how I was to not let 'unwholesome' talk come out of my mouth.
1] The word whore is all throughout the Bible. The men of God used it, so why wouldn't God? Therefore, I don't want to hear your whining about whether or not God would use that word.:nono:
2] What would you say you were, before you came to Christ?

Lovejoy

I don't know what all words Christ would use, but I have always found it alarming that He would say: "it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks" (KJV). Frankly, I want to know who the pricks are, and why Christ was interested in how Paul kicked them! Pretty strong language from the Son of God! (The preceding may have contained some irony.)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Lovejoy said:
I don't know what all words Christ would use, but I have always found it alarming that He would say: "it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks" (KJV). Frankly, I want to know who the pricks are, and why Christ was interested in how Paul kicked them! Pretty strong language from the Son of God! (The preceding may have contained some irony.)
I've heard that "pricks" in that context were what the common people called goads or spurs when the KJV was translated. A horse who was disobedient, trying to go his own way, would be said to be kicking against the pricks.

Lovejoy

Zakath said:
I've heard that "pricks" in that context were what the common people called goads or spurs when the KJV was translated. A horse who was disobedient, trying to go his own way, would be said to be kicking against the pricks.
Yeah, that is what subsequent translations seem to alude as well. However, the first time I read that line in the KJV (when I was a young teen) my eyes nearly fell out. It sounds hilarious, especially when it is without context.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I do believe that if the situation called for it, Jesus might very well use it. As long as it is in the proper context...
Wow, if you don't draw a line before that word, I woudn't think you'd draw the line anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.