ECT What is your reason for wanting to become a Christian?

PureX

What is your reason for wanting to become a Christian?

I did not want to become a Christian. I was simply born into a Catholic family and so was raised from birth to be a religious Christian. But as often happens in these cases, when I became old enough to decide for myself, I rejected it all. But then later decided that the basic principal of the salvation of humanity through love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity was sound. Later in life, I experienced that principal for myself, and so knew that it was true, and was worth pursuing as a raison d'être.

Cross Reference

I did not want to become a Christian. I was simply born into a Catholic family and so was raised from birth to be a religious Christian. But as often happens in these cases, when I became old enough to decide for myself, I rejected it all. But then later decided that the basic principal of the salvation of humanity through love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity was sound. Later in life, I experienced that principal for myself, and so knew that it was true, and was worth pursuing as a raison d'être.

Interesting, Purex. I am happy for you however, what is it now you are "pursuing"?

PureX

Interesting, Purex. I am happy for you however, what is it now you are "pursuing"?
I think we all have the spirit of Christ within us (love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity). And if we want to be Christian, we are trying to learn how to let that spirit "have us", because through it we will fulfill our true nature. But I find that it takes a lifetime, and then some, to do. Nevertheless, that is the quest, for me, as a Christian.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't want to go to hell, which will be eternal separation from God.

Cross Reference

I think we all have the spirit of Christ within us (love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity). And if we want to be Christian, we are trying to learn how to let that spirit "have us", because through it we will fulfill our true nature. But I find that it takes a lifetime, and then some, to do. Nevertheless, that is the quest, for me, as a Christian.

Whose is "we" you speak of? Is it just anyone or must one qualify. If so, how does one do that for a surety?

2. Why don't you pursue Christ instead of only that part you want?

Cross Reference

I don't want to go to hell, which will be eternal separation from God.

You are simply saying: "It is all about me that I am a Christian."

How 'bout this if eternal life is what you are after: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" John 17:3 (KJV)

To "know" someone is to have an intimate relationship with them.
Do you believe you have that kind of a relationship with God? Are you pursuing such a relationship with Him? We might say that if we don't there already remains a separation with God we aren't paying much attention to He wants corrected. Whatta think?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How 'bout this if eternal life is what you are after: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" John 17:3 (KJV)

How about you are an idiot.

Eternal separation from God is not what I want. But on the contrary, it is about you. You want to boast about your relationship, violating the command not to use his name in vain.

Cross Reference

How about you are an idiot.

Eternal separation from God is not what I want. But on the contrary, it is about you. You want to boast about your relationship, violating the command not to use his name in vain.

That was a test. You failed.

<Back on ignore>

PureX

Whose is "we" you speak of? Is it just anyone or must one qualify. If so, how does one do that for a surety?
It's anyone who has been enlightened by the truth of Christ: that God's love acting within us can heal us and save us from ourselves. And acting through us, to others, can help to heal and save them, as well.
Why don't you pursue Christ instead of only that part you want?
I am pursuing Christ. That's what Christ is: God's love acting within us to heal us and save us from ourselves. And acting through us, to help others.

revpete

I did not want to become a Christian as there is none that seeks after God. However, He found me and led me to repentance and saved me by His grace and made me a new creation in Christ Jesus.

Pete 👤

Cross Reference

It's anyone who has been enlightened by the truth of Christ: that God's love acting within us can heal us and save us from ourselves. And acting through us, to others, can help to heal and save them, as well.
I am pursuing Christ. That's what Christ is: God's love acting within us to heal us and save us from ourselves. And acting through us, to help others.

So far you have it as being all about you. What does God get out of the deal?

Cross Reference

I did not want to become a Christian as there is none that seeks after God. However, He found me and led me to repentance and saved me by His grace and made me a new creation in Christ Jesus.

Pete 👤

Plenty seek after God. That is why missionaries are sent, i.e., to make disciples of those who understand His Name is Jesus..

PureX

So far you have it as being all about you. What does God get out of the deal?
What makes you think God needs anything?

As I would define God as being the source, sustenance and reason for all that exists, I must assume that existence, itself, is 'God expressed'. So I suppose that expression is what God "gets" (although it would seem to me to be a lot more about what God is giving than what God is getting). It's like with an artist. What does the artist 'get' from creating a work of art? He gets to express himself; he gets to share his vision and experience of life with others, through the artwork. Yet primarily, his act of creation isn't about what the he gets, it's about sharing what he has with others.

Love must be expressed to be fulfilled. There is no love without a beloved. If God is love, then God needs a beloved. And that why we exist, I think: to be God's love, expressed and hopefully, someday, fulfilled.

But I am not God, and I don't know what God 'thinks' or 'needs', or if God thinks or needs anything. So I'm just speculating.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What is your reason for wanting to be a Christian?

changed the wording to include everyone
wanting is hoping
hope is a better word
it implies belief that it is possible
hope for a better world
and
a better life
and
a better you

Cross Reference

What makes you think God needs anything?

As I would define God as being the source, sustenance and reason for all that exists, I must assume that existence, itself, is 'God expressed'. So I suppose that expression is what God "gets" (although it would seem to me to be a lot more about what God is giving than what God is getting). It's like with an artist. What does the artist 'get' from creating a work of art? He gets to express himself; he gets to share his vision and experience of life with others, through the artwork. Yet primarily, his act of creation isn't about what the he gets, it's about sharing what he has with others.

Love must be expressed to be fulfilled. There is no love without a beloved. If God is love, then God needs a beloved. And that why we exist, I think: to be God's love, expressed and hopefully, someday, fulfilled.

But I am not God, and I don't know what God 'thinks' or 'needs', or if God thinks or needs anything. So I'm just speculating.

You pose many questions.

You stated this:

Love must be expressed to be fulfilled. There is no love without a beloved.
Let me ask this one just to give us a kickstart:

Where do the angels fit in? If God was simply looking for something or someone to pour His love into, as you say, "a beloved", why not them instead of creating a new race of human people. Why couldn't the Angels fill that bill?

Cross Reference

What is your reason for wanting to be a Christian?

changed the wording to include everyone
wanting is hoping
hope is a better word
it implies belief that it is possible
hope for a better world
and
a better life
and
a better you

Again, what is in it for God? What does He get out of the deal that He would go through all the trouble and pain to accomplish what we can only see as the result?

PureX

Let me ask this one just to give us a kickstart:

Where do the angels fit in? If God was simply looking for something or someone to pour His love into, as you say, "a beloved", why not them instead of creating a new race of human people. Why couldn't the Angels fill that bill?
Angels are not real objects that can be 'beloved'. They are a form of spiritual artifice, invented by we humans, to represent experiential phenomena that we have no other way of making sense of. The phenomena is real, to be sure, but our characterization of it as some sort of disembodied humanoid-like spirit beings, is mostly the result of our own imaginative superstitions.

Also, I don't view mankind's existence is being the objective of God's love, alone. We are not just objects, for one thing. We are a spiritual phenomena. And as such we are the expressions God's love as much as we are the recipients of it. Just as your own child would be an expression of your love as much as being the recipient of it (if properly conceived, that is).