What is the test spoken of in 2 Corinthians 13:5?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

It may be that if Christ is in you you pass the test.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It has been suggested that this is not the test. How do we navigate not going beyond what is written?

Danoh

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

It may be that if Christ is in you you pass the test.

Scripture often repeats what it says, but in different words.

Thus, in the above "test yourselves" means "examine yourselves" and "examine yourselves" means "test yourselves."

And the sense is that of the need for honest self-examining of what one has come believe, and or how they conduct themselves - examining that against what Scripture says about what the beliefs and conduct are to be of one in whom Christ dwells.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

You are Believers. You need to examine how you have been conducting yourselves towards me (Paul), your Apostle (at the same time, I, Paul, am not the issue - your conduct in general, as Believers, is).

13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. 13:7 Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

Romans 5:6-8.

Danoh

It has been suggested that this is not the test. How do we navigate not going beyond what is written?

By seeking to identify first, what was being talked about, before what is mentioned during what was being talked about to begin with.

What was he talking about before he followed that with what he then added to it?

He was talking about their having misread his intentions.

He then said what he said after that, based on it (on what he had been talking about to begin with).

This is a key to understanding many passages of Scripture that is very common throughout the Scriptures.

Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

8:12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Scripture often repeats what it says, but in different words.

Thus, in the above "test yourselves" means "examine yourselves" and "examine yourselves" means "test yourselves."

And the sense is that of the need for honest self-examining of what one has come believe, and or how they conduct themselves - examining that against what Scripture says about what the beliefs and conduct are to be of one in whom Christ dwells.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

You are Believers. You need to examine how you have been conducting yourselves towards me (Paul), your Apostle (at the same time, I, Paul, am not the issue - your conduct in general, as Believers, is).

13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. 13:7 Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

Romans 5:6-8.

Amen! Great scripture to end on! Feel free to share or discuss more. Do you have any question for me?

john w

Hall of Fame
Paul is not saying that we should check/prove/examine our works/"good deeds," to judge whether we are justified, for the Corinthians were one of the most carnal group of believers, and they would be given an "F." No, the context, is that there were many questioning Paul's apostleship. No, rather Paul's point was when he instructed them, "counter pointed" them to "examine" themselves, he was arguing, responding, to those who would challenge him, “examine” him.

1 Corinthians 9 KJV
1 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord? 2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,

Paul never doubted their justification, always referring to them as "saints," "brethren." . He wrote to them, because they doubted his Lord Jesus Christ given apostleship,

2 Corinthians 13 KJV
3 since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you.

See it? See the dispute/challenge? See the context?

Survey "what cometh before" 2 Corinthians-the context. Thus, he argues, contends, that if these Carnal bunch of saints were “in the faith,” it served as evidence, proof, that he was, yes, an apostle, for he was the one that led them, "birthed" them, to the Lord Jesus Christ, per 1 Corinthians 4:15,

1 Corinthians 4 KJV

15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9 KJV
2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

That is, since("for" above-Paul is "connecting the dots") the carnal Corinthians were “in the Lord,” and “in the faith,” was concrete evidence,a "seal" of his rightful, authorized by God apostleship-again, 2 Cor. 13:3 KJV, and they should be convinced of such. Paul never argues that we are to look to ourselves, to "prove" we are saved, but look to the book, for our assurance.

Last edited:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Paul is not saying that we should check/prove/examine our works/"good deeds," to judge whether we are justified, for the Corinthians were one of the most carnal group of believers, and they would be given an "F." No, the context, is that there were many questioning Paul's apostleship. No, rather Paul's point was when he instructed them, "counter pointed" them to "examine" themselves, he was arguing, responding, to those who would challenge him, “examine” him.

1 Corinthians 9 KJV
1 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord? 2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

3 Mine answer to them that do examine me is this,

Paul never doubted their justification, always referring to them as "saints," "brethren." . He wrote to them, because they doubted his Lord Jesus Christ given apostleship,

2 Corinthians 13 KJV
3 since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you.

See it? See the dispute/challenge? See the context?

Survey "what cometh before" 2 Corinthians-the context. Thus, he argues, contends, that if these Carnal bunch of saints were “in the faith,” it served as evidence, proof, that he was, yes, an apostle, for he was the one that led them, "birthed" them, to the Lord Jesus Christ, per 1 Corinthians 4:15,

1 Corinthians 4 KJV

15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9 KJV
2 If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

That is, since("for" above-Paul is "connecting the dots") the carnal Corinthians were “in the Lord,” and “in
the faith,” was concrete evidence,a "seal" of his rightful, authorized by God apostleship-again, 2 Cor. 13:3 KJV, and they should be convinced of such. Paul never argues that we are to look to ourselves, to "prove" we are saved, but look to the book, for our assurance.

Thank you john w. I invite your teaching on this.