ECT What is a Soul

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Many says this text is what leads them to believe in what is termed as the "immortal soul". But we should bear in mind certain things when reading any prophetic book, it is the highly figurative language being used. For instance, John also saw strange beasts coming out of the sea, a woman riding a ferocious beast, another woman clothed with the sun, etc. There is all kinds of imagery used in Revelation that is symbolic of a greater truth; the souls under the alter is no exception and hardly constitutes a reliable reference in which one should base a doctrine on. If this verse is to be taken literally then what reason or purpose is there in stuffing martyred souls under an altar? Is this to be taken literally? I think you will see the problem if you compare it with this verse..
Genesis 4:9-11 King James Version (KJV)
9 And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

Is there a sound of blood crying, of course not, its clearly meant to be figurately​

Jerry Shugart

Here is a good study by my buddy Amo on what is a soul..
Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

The "inward man" spoken of in the following passage is the soul:

"For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day" (2 Cor.4:16).​