What dreams are made of...

theophilus

My 27 y.o. daughter asked where dreams came from. This is what I told her:

(We were driving down a gravel road next to the Thompson River on a mild sunny day in late Spring.)

I said Jordan, do you feel the breeze from our movement, feel the movement of the Jeep on your body, smell the river and the gravel and the woods? Do you see the river and the road and the trees and the woods? Can you taste the gravel dust in your mouth? Do you smell the dampness of the air and feel the coolness of the temperature?

Are you touching the Jeep with your body? Are you aware of the bounce and the jostle of the road through the Jeep? Can you feel your hair moving in the breeze (top was off the Jeep)? Can you feel yourself swaying with the bends in the road?

Can you hear us going down this gravel road? Can you hear the river? Can you hear all of the birds singing? Can you tell their songs apart?
So think about all of these sights, sounds, smells, tastes and feelings. There are many going into every one of your senses. Your mind processes these things together and you get a whole picture of your surroundings.
Now, when you are asleep…many of these things are diminished. You no longer hear everything, you no longer taste everything, you are not seeing your environment, you’re not feeling anything in particular and you’re not actively smelling anything. You’re asleep.

Your brain does not sleep. It rests, but never goes “off-line.” As such, while you are sleeping your brain takes the things in your memory and puts those memories together in a way, without context, that is mostly not logical. Hence you can have good dreams, bad dreams, weird dreams, flying dreams, chasing dreams, scary dreams or whatever. Your brain takes your memories (since there is no current input) and hodge-podges them together so it has something to do while you are sleeping.

And when God the Holy Spirit is in you…you get other dreams and visions.
For example, I had a terrible dream with pillars carved as phallic symbols and I couldn’t escape the sight of them. In my sleep I cried out to God to take these away from me and to protect me from this dream. The next instant I awoke to a vision of tiny hexagons in contrasting colors thanking God for waking me up.

I have never had the dream again and have never had a bad dream since that one.

Sleeping in the arms of the Lord - Teryl