What does 'Thou shalt not commit adultery' mean?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Ok... New info harvested via lazy copy and paste on my part... But David had actual marriages that went far beyond Sauls wives... in fact... perhaps you could produce verses on this Sauls wives thing... I'm not certain this is accurate.

If you are correct... David would have wives of Sauls, as well as one of their daughters.

Here is the copied info...

Question: "How many wives did King David have?"

Answer: King David had many wives, according to the Bible, although only eight of them are named. Of the eight, five are mentioned only once. The other three wives figure prominently in the story of King David.

David’s first wife was Michal, the daughter of King Saul. Her story begins in 1 Samuel 18—19. Saul gave Michal to David to marry after David defeated a hundred Philistines. But Saul, always fearful of young David’s popularity with the people, planned to kill his new son-in-law. However, Michal, who loved David, warned him of the plot and helped him escape. Following this, Saul gave Michal to another man. After David became king, Michal was restored as his wife (2 Samuel 3). She later despised David when she saw him dancing before the Lord (2 Samuel 6:14–22). Michal had no children, perhaps in punishment for mocking the servant of the Lord (verse 23).

The story of David’s second wife of note, Abigail, is told in 1 Samuel 25. She was originally the wife of Nabal, an evil man who disrespected David. In his anger, David planned to attack and kill Nabal and all his household. Abigail, a wise and prudent woman, met David as he and his men were approaching. She bowed down to him and convinced him not to seek revenge and cause bloodshed. David recognized that her good judgment was a gift to him from God. Abigail returned to Nabal and told him how close he had come to death. Nabal’s “heart failed him and he became like stone” (verse 37). Ten days later, God struck Nabal and he died, and Abigail then became David’s wife.

The sad story of David’s wife Bathsheba is well known (2 Samuel 11:1–17). She was originally the wife of Uriah the Hittite, a trusted soldier in David’s army. While Uriah was away at war, David saw Bathsheba bathing in her courtyard one night; she was beautiful, and David lusted after her. Even knowing she was another man’s wife, David summoned her to his palace and slept with her. When she found that she was pregnant, she informed David, and the king, rather than repent, added to his sin. David ordered that Uriah be placed on the front lines of the battlefield where he was abandoned by his fellow soldiers and killed by the enemy. Then David married Bathsheba, but their child died shortly after birth. David chronicled his sin and repentance over these evil acts in Psalm 51. David and Bathsheba had four more children (1 Chronicles 3:5). Their son Solomon ruled after his father’s death.

The other five named wives of David were Ahinoam, Maacah, Haggith, Abital, and Eglah (2 Samuel 3:2–5; 1 Chronicles 3:1–3). According to 2 Samuel 5:13, David married more wives in Jerusalem, but how many is unknown.

... Reference from...

https://gotquestions.org/wives-King-David.html

Why do you believe that David having to take care of Sauls wives, means he slept with them? Chapter and verse, thanks.

Also why do you believe that because a man takes more than one wife, it means God is ok with it, after God already said not to do it?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Why do you believe that David having to take care of Sauls wives, means he slept with them? Chapter and verse, thanks.

Also why do you believe that because a man takes more than one wife, it means God is ok with it, after God already said not to do it?

I appreciate your inquisitive tone, vs. a defensive tone. I fully respect and understand your perspective, and I further recognize that you are anchored in your stance. I am expressing this, because I want to make it clear that I know I am not here to change minds and debate.

This topic is more of an information share, that appears to be causing discussion over biblical passages on marriage, adultery, polygamy, Law, Jesus and other topics that are extremely valuable to search and understand, from the biblical perspective.

Having gotten the disclaimer out of the way..... (I will openly answer your questions (From my opinionated perspective), as openly and honestly as I possibly can.

1Q) Why do you believe that David having to take care of Sauls wives, means he slept with them.

1A) An honest question deserves a respectfully researched answer... The key verse about Saul's wives is,
of-coarse, 2 Sam. 12:8... In it, there is specific phraseology...
It is either into your arms or into your care...
Actual Hebrew study of this text reveals that the best understanding is "Into your Care".
(bə-ḥê-qe-ḵā, בְּחֵיקֶ֔ךָ into your care Noun)

- That being said, I will keep matters simple here. I will reference 1 Kings 1:

"1 Now King David was old and advanced in years. And although they covered him with clothes, he could not get warm. 2 Therefore his servants said to him, “Let a young woman be sought for my lord the king, and let her wait on the king and be in his service. 1Kp1Let her lie in your arms,a that my lord the king may be warm.” 3 So they sought for a beautiful young woman throughout all the territory of Israel, and found Abishag the Shunammite, and brought her to the king. 4 1Kp2 The young woman was very beautiful, and she was of service to the king and attended to him, 1Kp3 but the king knew her not.

For Reference... I am using red writing with notation like 1Kp1. This is simply saying 1st Kings Chapter quoted implied and p for point (1) or (2) and so on...

I will also submit Ezekiel 23 as an extreme example of a point I am making. I fully understand the metaphorical tone of Ezk. 23, but it carries a valid assertion of an important point.

Ezekiel 23:19 Yet she increased her whoring, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the whore in the land of Egypt 20 and EZKp1 lusted after her lovers there, whose members were like those of donkeys, and whose issue was like that of horses.

EZKp1) This stands to support the point that the bible is an extremely sexual book. This fact is overlooked, but it includes passages of rape (Though rape is disgusting and violent and thus an act of violence and not sex, it remains a distorted sexually explicit act), masculine withdrawal during intercourse (example when Tamar's second husband didn't want to have a son with the surname of his first brother, and was clearly expelling the DNA that was building the lineage of the Son of God.. as Tamar is directly in the blood lineage of Jesus), incest, Prostitution, Sexual Bliss (the Song of Songs or Solomon), Commandment to have a ton of marital relation with one's spouse (Be fruitful and multiply, commanded to two individuals that were naked before one another and unashamed)...... etc... etc...

Following forward in this logic, the bible doesn't always say every little detail... When David counted coup by cutting part of Saul's robe while he was "covering his feet" in the cave, which is understood as expelling digested food, we see that deification can be mentioned in the bible.

However, Jesus is the incarnation of God, from my perspective... (no, I don't want to split hairs about this or be questioned... I recognize Jesus as the presence of God among Man as "The Son of God and The Son of Man", as it says in scripture... We know that Jesus ate food and had a fully functional human body, but nowhere in scripture does it mention Jesus "covering his feet". Does this mean that Jesus never defecated? Absolutely not. if this were so, the bible would have said; "Jesus never covered his feet".

Now, moving on...

1Kp1) It is explaining that the young virgin that would be found would lay with David to keep him warm in his old age. it is very likely that the heat would come from nakedness shared, but not specifically stated. We do know that body heat is best created between people in Nakedness, thus the survival technique of laying naked with someone in the freezing cold, to raise body temperature is a point to mention here. This is common knowledge and fair to cite.

1Kp2) There is no doubt that David LOVED feminine beauty. He started his Kingly troubles by peeping on Bathsheba, who was naked and bathing to cleanse herself from her monthly time. This is very symbolic, but that is out of scope.

1Kp3) "but the king knew her not"... Knew... Made Love With... We even use the term, "to know a person biblicaly" to this very day. It directly and unquestionably infers sexual intimacy. Unlike much biblical verbiage that has been redefined and is misused today, to "KNOW" someone is still spot on as it was in the days of Adam and Eve.

- Why is this important? Because the Bible is so specific that men and women enjoy having sex and it is such a normal part of life and especially marriage that it is specifically cited when it is not on the table. Directly in relation to our young and vigorous David, the old and calmed down David, is specified as Laying with the beautiful virgin Abishag in his old age, but "the king knew her not"
- It explains that he didn't have sex with her.

- Part of marriage is absolutely sex and with all of these points, it is fair to say that if any of those wives of Saul had "beauty", the king "KNEW" them well.

Just to tack on one more point, a son can be very telling of the father, and in Solomon, we see another man that LOVED to KNOW women, in a biblical sense.

2Q) why do you believe that because a man takes more than one wife, it means God is ok with it, after God already said not to do it?

2A) God does not chastise David or Israel/Jacob for taking multiple wives and clearly conceiving with them. Another point is that conception was not an act of duty, but as always, unless a person is being dishonest with themselves, but as within all wholesome, consenting sexual unions, an exciting event full of intimacy and good experiences. (Disclaimer: all experiences differ in some way or another... added for humor)

God clothed our souls with beautiful flesh... It is more beautiful than any clothing we can create, but after the fall, humanity was ashamed of what God made and clothed it. God supported this by slaughtering an animal and providing clothing for Adam and Eve.

It is safe to assume that God is proud of our nakedness. As a result of stepping into the void of Heavenly Distrust of God and entering into doing things our way... (Trying to be like God, knowing good and evil...) we needed to cover up our nakedness and God later uses this analogy as a way of saying to show ones nakedness is to 'shame" them, though He created flesh as our clothing and made it appealing because He is awesome like that.

This dialogue shows that God is complex and adapts to our mistakes.

Ideally, one and one is the recipe for good sex and a lifetime and eternity of bliss.

However, contention and discord among humanity has ripped that option from the arms of perfection.

Clearly, polygamy was a result of our failure to trust God.

Does God hold us to pain and beat the daylight out of us for being imperfect? NO! He is adaptive to realistic recognition of our condition and understands our thoughts, motives, intentions, wickedness and goodness better than we ever will.

When the Law was given, mankind saw it from a narrow perspective and tended to look at it as mere rules to please God. However, the entire Bible reveals a completely different purpose for the Law.

Above all things, Moses was given to prophesy the coming revelation of God's infinite and limitless love.

Humanity is obtuse, unmerciful, distrusting, rule orientated and rigid!

God is brilliant, merciful, ALL Knowing, Adaptive and Situationaly Pro-Active.

There is deep dichotomy in God's ways and our ways. But to end this book...

God utilized humanity in scripture to show how He is Love and Life, while mankind is typically Hostile and Dark. God's core hostility always stems from humanities lack of MERCY.

To be somewhat humorous, but dead accurate... God doesn't put His "Angry Eyes" on when humanity screws up or is outside of Moses and His statutes. He puts His angry eyes on when humanity destroys itself and is void of Mercy and Love.

Egypt was slavery and teachings of and about God(s) that demanded blood of humanity. Journey from this was God granting freedom and the command to let go of the lies about Him that were in the people's hearts from being exposed to the idea of God(s) that were violent, nasty and demanding of death and sacrifice of actual humanity.

What the Helen of Troy is my point?

God utilized David in His imperfection and accepted his human lust as part of who David was. He also recognized the circumstances that brought about multiple wives. He not only overlooked David's Polygamy, but counted it righteous. How do I know this?

Because of this...

1 Kings 15:5 "because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and did not turn aside from anything that he commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite."

Unless one counts scripture as mealy mouthed, it says it in plain words that cite the incident of Uriah and thus all encompassed with Bathsheba (who was Uriah's wife).

One last point. I hold scripture far beneath Jesus and His literal presence in our life. Scripture wasn't available for Abraham, Noah or Enoch and yet their relationship with God and Loving Kindness towards their fellow humanity identified them as people of God.

Jesus is the WORD of God and the fulfillment of the Law. Scripture merely points to Him.

I hope this answers your two exceptionally written questions.

chair

It means don't screw around on your wife or husband.

Adultery is when you are married and you have sex with someone else.
Fornication is when you are not married and having sex.

It looks like some people here are making it complicated.

This is all true- from a modern perspective. But in a society where men are allowed more than one wife, adultery is sex with a married woman. If a married man has sex with a woman besides his wife- that is not adultery. It is unbalanced, and may seem wrong to most of us today- but that is how things were in the Old Testament times.

So- it is not complicated. But it is not what you think. You are projecting your modern ideas on an ancient culture.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
This is all true- from a modern perspective. But in a society where men are allowed more than one wife, adultery is sex with a married woman. If a married man has sex with a woman besides his wife- that is not adultery. It is unbalanced, and may seem wrong to most of us today- but that is how things were in the Old Testament times.

So- it is not complicated. But it is not what you think. You are projecting your modern ideas on an ancient culture.

I have no right to jump in, but is it possible he's projecting God's original design onto the state of God's mercy that is even prevalent in the Pre-Messianic Scriptures?

Is it so hard to reconcile that God's mercy shown in a way that tolerated the waywardness of men like Abraham, David, Jacob/Israel and many others of their scriptural prevailance?

Wasn't it David that wrote:

"1 Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

3 For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried upb as by the heat of summer. Selah

5 I acknowledged my sin to you,
and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

And was it not God who is quoted as saying;

"For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings." in the Pre-Christ Scriptures...

And again;

“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” in the Post-Christ Scriptures?

Was David not a severe example of a forgiven sinner, made righteous only by God's Love, though He himself was in severe infraction of the Mosaic Laws he knew so well?

I agree with Catholic Crusader. He is correct in his definition. God works with humanity as it is and loves humanity as it is. This is why God is the only righteous leader of humanity.

Mercy is His standard.

Entitlement of a human King doesn't remove the fact that infidelity to a lover makes for heartache.

God indeed adjusted to the times and customs, but the standard of fidelity that He taught in the Garden of Eden has never changed.

We are the variables that are riddled with more bulletholes of sin than a Mafia hit.

He is our constant, righteous shield that saves us from ourselves.

Polygamy was indeed supported by God, but so was the quail in place of mannah in the desert of sin. (Sinai)

Our ways, though humanly justifiable, still leave spiritual, mental and emotional sickness.

God is no dictator, nor is He a Law based Tyrant.

Clearly, God's Love is the only true monogamy we ever know.

Many people always have their own definitions of many different things. Chr-stianity has the tendency to redefine half the words in the dictionary, it makes me wish someone would make a chr-stianese dictionary. God Himself created the definition of adultery and it is found at Vayyiq’ra (Leviticus) 18:20.

Vayyiq’ra 18:20:
וְאֶל־אֵשֶׁת עֲמִיתְךָ לֹא־תִתֵּן שְׁכָבְתְּךָ לְזָרַע לְטָמְאָה־בָהּ׃

V’el-ʾéshet ʿămiyt’ḵa loʾ-tittén sh’ḵav’t’ḵa l’zaraʿ l’tam’ah-vah:

“And to the wife of your countryman you will not give your ejaculation of semen for insemination, to become defiled by her.”

Very simple, very straightforward; No Israelite man will inseminate the wife of another Israelite man. Please pay close attention to the final clause: “to become defiled by her.” Adultery is a crime exclusive to a legally married Jewish woman. She knows that she belongs to her husband, and deliberately chooses to give what belongs to him to someone else. Even if her accomplice has no knowledge of her belonging to someone else, he is still an accessory after and/or during the fact, and thus incurs guilt because of her.

If polygamy and polygyny were merely permitted by God and not advocated by Him, then please explain why there are several Mitz’vot concerning multiple wives and concubines, and the treatment of them and their children?

Adultery is a crime that can only be committed by a married woman, regardless of whether her accomplice is married or single, she causes his guilt. A married man cannot commit adultery unless he copulates with the wife of a fellow Jew.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4840359 said:
Many people always have their own definitions of many different things. Chr-stianity has the tendency to redefine half the words in the dictionary, it makes me wish someone would make a chr-stianese dictionary. God Himself created the definition of adultery and it is found at Vayyiq’ra (Leviticus) 18:20.

“And to the wife of your countryman you will not give your ejaculation of semen for insemination, to become defiled by her.”

Very simple, very straightforward; No Israelite man will inseminate the wife of another Israelite man. Please pay close attention to the final clause: “to become defiled by her.” Adultery is a crime exclusive to a legally married Jewish woman. She knows that she belongs to her husband, and deliberately chooses to give what belongs to him to someone else. Even if her accomplice has no knowledge of her belonging to someone else, he is still an accessory after and/or during the fact, and thus incurs guilt because of her.

If polygamy and polygyny were merely permitted by God and not advocated by Him, then please explain why there are several Mitz’vot concerning multiple wives and concubines, and the treatment of them and their children?

Adultery is a crime that can only be committed by a married woman, regardless of whether her accomplice is married or single, she causes his guilt. A married man cannot commit adultery unless he copulates with the wife of a fellow Jew.

Jesus cleared up your misunderstanding.

Matthew 5:27 You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Unfortunately, adding to, subtracting from or altering Torah in any way is a much greater sin than adultery. The chr-stian texts have as much to do with the Hebrew Scriptures as the book of mormon or the Koran have to do with the chr-stian texts. You believe in it, sorry about your luck..

chair

I have no right to jump in, but is it possible he's projecting God's original design onto the state of God's mercy that is even prevalent in the Pre-Messianic Scriptures?...

The definition of adultery is a legal definition. It means something specific in a legal system, and it has real ramifications. That is a large part of what the Hebrew Bible is about. a legal system .

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4840443 said:
Unfortunately, adding to, subtracting from or altering Torah in any way is a much greater sin than adultery. The chr-stian texts have as much to do with the Hebrew Scriptures as the book of mormon or the Koran have to do with the chr-stian texts. You believe in it, sorry about your luck..

Your understanding of Moses is to the letter of the law and very important to this discussion.

Isn't Psalm 2 a mystery?

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4840359 said:

Per the original scriptures that preceded Chr-stian additions, what single act defines a woman as married to a man?

To clarify, not Rabinical perceptions, but in simple scriptural continuity.

beloved57

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Matthew 5:27 You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So you're guilty of adultery then. And when women dress provocatively, they are stumbling blocks.

But I suppose that is where you retract it a bit :rolleyes:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
So you're guilty of adultery then. And when women dress provocatively, they are stumbling blocks.

But I suppose that is where you retract it a bit :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be fair to say that God dressed us most provocatively in His plan, before we chose to step from trusting Him?

To be blunt, didn't God intend us to be naked and unashamed?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Wouldn't it be fair to say that God dressed us most provocatively in His plan, before we chose to step from trusting Him?

To be blunt, didn't God intend us to be naked and unashamed?

You can't justify stumbling blocks. Women dress provocatively to be looked upon, not to express Godliness.

God Himself gave Eve coverings because of what she would choose to do with her nakedness.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
You can't justify stumbling blocks. Women dress provocatively to be looked upon, not to express Godliness.

God Himself gave Eve coverings because of what she would choose to do with her nakedness.

OIC... Because men are raging bulls of testosterone that have no chilvery, integrity or brains outside of their nether regions, women dressing like they feel comfortable dressing makes them the cause of men stumbling.

I'm pro guns. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I'm pro Fork. Forks don't make people fat, people make themselves fat.

And... I'm pro women being beautiful however they are comfortable, Naked or clothed. For goodness sakes, men can undress a woman in a Burka with their eyes....

Not with you on this you one.

It reminds me of the time a guy designed a bra that prevented women's breasts from jiggling or showing their pointy parts when it gets cold.

Kindly remember that he was ushered to a back room and beaten senseless by all the other men at the invention convention. ; )