What do you think he meant when he said this?

Yves21

I have found the way into hell, even from the gates of heaven.
-John Bunyan (Pilgrim's Progress)

Yves21

Bunyan was a Christian writer and a preacher of the church of England, on his way to america he wrote in his journal "I have found the way into hell, even from the gates of heaven." now the reason he came over on the Mayflower was because he was removed by the head cardinal do to a "lack" of faith. My opinion on his writings is he thought of it as a kind of punishment. He even had to hide from British soldiers underneath the floors of the ship.
That is what I have leaned on this quote.
What I am asking is do you think it was a kind of punishment he wrote about, or was it just the move he was talking about.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a hard question to answer as John Bunyan never immigrated to America. As John Bunyan went to resolve a disagreement. As he rode from Reading, Berkshire to London, he caught cold and developed a fever. He died at the house of a friend John Strudwick, on Snow Hill in Holborn, on 31 August 1688. He was buried at Bunhill Fields, London.

not4sure

Bunyan was a Christian writer and a preacher of the church of England, on his way to america he wrote in his journal "I have found the way into hell, even from the gates of heaven." now the reason he came over on the Mayflower was because he was removed by the head cardinal do to a "lack" of faith. My opinion on his writings is he thought of it as a kind of punishment. He even had to hide from British soldiers underneath the floors of the ship.
That is what I have leaned on this quote.
What I am asking is do you think it was a kind of punishment he wrote about, or was it just the move he was talking about.

The Mayflower came over in 1620
Bunyan was born in 1628

Splain how he came over on the Mayflower?

Yves21

My mistake on the year and ship name, though it is not that important it is a welcome correction.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
My mistake on the year and ship name, though it is not that important it is a welcome correction.
And you dear Yves21 have found your way onto TOL even from the gates of the internet! This could be a new beginning.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Bunny was a Baptist and a Calvinist. He was saved when some godly women rebuked him for his foul language, he went along to their church and after a great deal of inner struggle and heart wrestling was saved.

Although a simple travelling tinker and so poorly educated, he became a preacher, it was against the law for any to preach without a licence or to hold conventicles with more than 3 people attending. He was thrown into Bedford jail although given the opportunity to submit to the law and be free. He remained in prison for 12 years [17th century jails were awful places] from thence he wrote Pilgrims progress which is second only to the holy bible as most read. It has been translated into every language.

"When walking through the wilderness of this world I did light upon a den..." was Bedford jail.

He is a champion of liberty of speech, freedom of worship...of COURSE he is English.

In the passage he wrote which you quoted Bunyan means christians who all their lives were church goers but never saved, earlier in the book he had described two fellows who had not come in at the narrow gate via the gate-keeper [Christ] but had climbed over the wall into the pilgrim way...these are the same, in the church, people think they are christians, they themselves think they are christians but they have never been born again.

When they come to die , the gateway to heaven, their error becomes apparent.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
welcome to tol
it may seem like hell
but
you will get use to it
You have.

"You are free to choose to sin but you are not free to choose the consequences. After your choice, your choice chooses you. First there is a courtship, then consent, then conception: "When lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin." You can't see sin when it is just a baby. Then, it seems so good, so natural and so right. When sin is full grown, then you can see it. "The soul that sinneth, it shall die (Exe 18:20, KJV)." "The wages of sin is death (Ro 6:23, KJV)..." Full text: Armor of the Lord

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I have no clue but it doesn't sound like progress.
I believe that is from the book Pilgrim's Progress, part 1 section 3.

Most of the research I've done about JB coming to America does indicate that JB ever did come over to America.

sky.

BANNED
Banned

Most of the research I've done about JB coming to America does indicate that JB ever did come over to America.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your wording.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have no clue but it doesn't sound like progress.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your wording.
Here, "Most of the research I've done about (JB) John Bunyan coming to America (should be) doesn't indicate that (JB) John Bunyan (should be) never did come over to America."

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't understand it after I just read either, sorry to such be a bother Sky...have a nice day...:e4e:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Here, "Most of the research I've done about (JB) John Bunyan coming to America (should be) doesn't indicate that (JB) John Bunyan (should be) never did come over to America."

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't understand it after I just read either, sorry to such be a bother Sky...have a nice day...:e4e:

You're not a bother. I so love the psalms. "Pilgrims" they don't rightly inspire me.