What are your reasons for believing in god(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Sorceror

Sentinel said:
I would probably say that yes, if belief in a certain deity was entirely gone and no one (not one indivdual) believed in their existance any longer, they'd fade into nothingness. That is not to say that if people began to believe again that they could not return, however.
Hmmm, could the loss of all belief cuase the being to doubt its own existence? *see below*
Insofar as mythology goes, I think that it's all to be taken with a grain of salt. I believe in no particular ideology, really. And I don't think that truth can really be measured in the number of believers it his, despite my thoughts on Consensual Reality. Truth is... not necessarily what is commonly believed to be real. It's complicated to explain, honestly.
No, I understand.
Insofar as Creation goes, I am not so sure that we were created by some being because, if you consider it, if there was nothing at all other than God- where did God come from? I'd be inclined to say that we were not created by any 'God' but perhaps by some higher being that wanted to try his hand at something.
I believe that I exist, therefore I exist. Would God require us to believe in Him, or is it enoff that He believes He exists? Could God have created Himself by believing in Himself?(thats my trippy comment for the day)
Now, whether that higher being be some form of 'alien' race that we don't know about yet, or if it truly is some sort of god is left up in the air at the moment. I'd hesitate to say 'aliens' because that sounds too sci-fi and is in no way credible, in my estimation. However, I don't think that we are the *only* intelligent life in the entire universe, that'd just be arrogant and foolish of us, for the universe is, essentially, infinate. Just because we haven't encountered anything intelligent in our forays within our own solar system doesn't mean that there aren't other creatures out there that are as (if not more) advanced than we. But still, saying that "We were created by alien influence!" is just... it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Yes, I agree. The word "alien" just sounds off. Really though, the word could also describe beings not from this demension a.k.a angels, devils, etc. Intelligent life on other planets is likely. God is immortal and all-powerful, and need not limit himself to one special planet. (insert alien Jesus joke here)

Sentinel

Knight said:
I realize that, hence my question. Nevermind.

You continue....So... you are saying you have no clue who created except you have ruled out one possible option? :confused:

I am ruling out that option because it would leave question as to whom created that god and in order for that god to have created us s/he'd have to exist and in order to exist one must be created. So perhaps that god created *us* but there was someone higher on the food chain that created him/her. So truly, there's no way to know.

Real Sorcerer said:
I believe that I exist, therefore I exist. Would God require us to believe in Him, or is it enoff that He believes He exists? Could God have created Himself by believing in Himself?(thats my trippy comment for the day)

No. He'd have had to exist before he would be capable of believing in something, I'd say.

Hmmm, could the loss of all belief cuase the being to doubt its own existence? *see below*

It could, it would depend on the individual, wouldn't it?

Morpheus_X

Sentinel said:
I am ruling out that option because it would leave question as to whom created that god and in order for that god to have created us s/he'd have to exist and in order to exist one must be created.

Who taught you this truth? Do you think that's air your breathing now? :think:

Sentinel

No one taught me this truth. I came to realize it on my own after roughly 7 years of contemplation and self-evaluation. And at the moment? Air is what I am breathing, you could label it as water and then I'd be breathing water. But I am breathing something that is intangible and allows me to continue living.

Lostinspace

SUTG said:
I am new here. Although I've done quite a bit of reading in the other threads, this is my first post.

My reason for being here is to debate, or preferably discuss, the existence of gods. It would be nice to be challenged and informed. As you can see from my profile, I am an atheist. I have always been an atheist, although I used to go to church every week with my family, and was sent to a Roman Catholic church.

Alot of my friends are Christians (or theists, at least) but I don't think it is always appropriate to try and challenge their beliefs (unless they are interested in the exchange). So, I came here.

If anyone is interested in an exchange, please start with your reasons for believing what you do.

cheers,
SUTG

First off I must admit I know jack about the bible (That is changing) but will say this. I have looked to the stars and thought "How, How did this all happen?" and for years kept a light in the back of my mind on for openess to something more than God" but I also had a light on to accept that there must be a maker, and this was more than likely God. Coming here just cemented the correct beliefs and I am happy to say the energy bill has gone down now with only one light burning, the light of God.

Morpheus_X

Sentinel said:
And at the moment? Air is what I am breathing, you could label it as water and then I'd be breathing water. But I am breathing something that is intangible and allows me to continue living.

The air thing was a quote from the matrix, a joke, a pun, a jest, a funny....well, you understand. and to jokes like that...there is no real point :zoomin:

I believe when you believe something that it has to come with some proof, or authority. Assumptions are often built on foundations that are imaginary...or made up. And any truths found on such a foundation can only crumble in the light of facts..

paulpeterson83

BANNED
Banned
I have no need of gods. Let the gods go about their business and I'll go about mine. If they are there, I highly doubt that they care, or even know we're here.

Sentinel

Morpheus_X said:
The air thing was a quote from the matrix, a joke, a pun, a jest, a funny....well, you understand. and to jokes like that...there is no real point :zoomin:

I believe when you believe something that it has to come with some proof, or authority. Assumptions are often built on foundations that are imaginary...or made up. And any truths found on such a foundation can only crumble in the light of facts..

Ah, I thought you were using it to illustrate a point- I did recognize the origin of the quote ^.^

Well, everyone can find proof to support any view if they try hard enough. Whether that proof is relevant to anyone but them, however, is subject to question. My beliefs have proof only in that I can do things that I have been told are impossible. I don't mean vulgar things like levitation or that nonsense, but subtle things that reaffirm my belief in what I consider to be the truth. It might not be your truth. Or their truth. But it is mine, and I cherish it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Dread Helm said:
I believe in God because of the compelling evidence in the Bible and in the Historical Record.

:zoomin:

I'm not going to get technical right now, because I don't have time, but those are my thoughts.
Well how about you get technical now. Are you telling me you haven't had time in the past year and a half???

:chuckle:

;)

OlDove

i believe because i do.
if you believe because of me.
then you are doomed to follow me.
dont be doomed.
find what reason you hold true. :thumb:

Lon

1) Something, regardless of denial, is eternal

2) I am a personal being and I am not a creator. First, I am personal, I exist. I am not a rock. Evolution suggests I am a chemical reaction. Fine, in even a misconception there is a truth, I am a self-cognizant chemical reaction at the very least. While I believe this is absolutely elementary school for an explanation of me, I am the product of something eternal. This eternal substance is 'god' in the sense that it made or created me. If for nothing else, you have to recognize, we all believe in some kind of 'god' because we are not 'it' or 'him.'

3) Since we all believe in 'some' god in one form or another, it is only definition that needs further analysis. There is a 'god' plain and simple. I am the product or creation of something or someone that created me.

4) 3 kinds of doubters: Agnostics that recognizes that there is a 'god' but are not sure or don't care. Agnostics who are are not certain whether a god exists. These second ones are like the atheist. An atheist believes there is no creator. Perhaps, they would concede that they are a created being, but they just do not desire to prostrate themselves to a rock, or an impersonal process of evolution from that rock.

5) Why a personal god? I believe the complexity of our minds speaks to and from a higher order. We tend to value experience, one another, and sometimes things in a way that points to a existential perception. The world turning, or the processes of nature do not tend to bring meaning to this perception. There is a uniqueness to our existence that we cannot explain.

6) The other way around. So far I've discussed why we perceive a god. What I have not discussed however, is the perspective of a god. If a personal god exists, he/she either desires to be left alone, or desires relationship. If the god desires to be left alone, we could expect that we would have no certainty of who this god is, just a certainty that some kind or form of a creator exists, personal or otherwise. If however this god is personal, desires relationship, and wants to have some kind of relation with his creatures, we could expect that he/she would initiate this relationship somehow. The question is, has such a god done so?

Jpw05

I believe in God.
I believe in the Teachings of the Bible.
I believe in the Bible as Historical fact.
I believe that the Bible was written for the simple person to understand.

Not to be Analyzed, Pasteurized, Sanitized, Deodorized, Criticized, like it has been.

Now you could ask me "Show me the proof of all of this you say"
I would say, "I can't"
I can't say "Here is a rock that Moses stepped on, or here is a piece of Noah's Ark"

To me, It's just a matter of Faith.

Just my opinion here, that's all

CoinOpChristian

I'm not sure how to answer the request for the reasons I beieve in God.
I was baptized as an infant. I have no recallection of NOT having believed in God.
To my knowlege, I alway have been a believe since the day I reived the gift of the Holy Spirit at my baptism. So I guess my reason for believeing is in my baptism.

SUTG

I expect some kind of rebuttal or response.

Well, ther isn't really anything there to rebut. You just said that you believe in God because of consciousness and that it was obvious. How does the existence of consciousness entail the existence of god(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.