ECT What about holiness displayed by the Christian?

Cross Reference

Jesus went out and mingled with crowds of people all of whom were sinners. We are also to remember that we are sinners. Yet by the grace of God we have "Good News" to share.
We are sinners???! How come? Are we supposed to remain "sinners"? How is a "sinner" supposed to share the "Good News" and expect it to be received?

Do I seek to stop sinning, or have I stopped sinning? (1 John 3:9)

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Christian Thinking

"I cannot soar into the heights you show,
Nor dive into the deeps that you reveal;
But it is much that high things are to know,
That deep things are to feel."
. . . . . . . . Jean Ingelow*

Is it not given to the Christian to pursue such knowledge? How do you suppose a sinning Christian will succeed in attaining it?

Last edited:

Truster

We are sinners???! How come? Are we supposed to remain "sinners"? How is a "sinner" supposed to share the "Good News" and expect it to be received?

Do I seek to stop sinning, or have I stopped sinning? (1 John 3:9)

Maybe the doctrine of sinner / repentant sinner is also something you don't comprehend.

Truster

Enlighten me. I won't laugh. Answer some questions posed you while you are at it.

If you need to ask the difference between a repentant and unrepentant sinner then you would never understand the answer, because you haven't passed from one state to the other.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Has your faith been perfected?

No need to answer, just putting it out there for all of us.:)

Cross Reference

Whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Has your faith been perfected?

No need to answer, just putting it out there for all of us.:)

That is NOT a complete statement of truth. Faith must be exercised when living life unto God. In the new testament it has changed except it is the faith OF the Son of God, He is after and that is learned process. cf how Paul lived his life that will give such understanding:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
Galatians 2:20 (KJV)

Paul didn't receive such faith by saying a sinners prayer nor by inviting Jesus into his heart. He sought it by pursuing God to know Him. (see John 17:3) In this way is our faith perfected because the pursuing of God brings it to fruition. . . union IN Him.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
That is NOT a complete statement of truth. Faith must be exercised when living life unto God. In the new testament it has changed except it is the faith OF the Son of God, He is after and that is learned process. cf how Paul lived his life that will give such understanding:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
Galatians 2:20 (KJV)

Paul didn't receive such faith by saying a sinners prayer nor by inviting Jesus into his heart. He sought it by pursuing God to know Him. (see John 17:3) In this way is our faith perfected because the pursuing of God brings it to fruition. . . union IN Him.

Wow, and here I thought it was when God was pleased to reveal his son in him.

15But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased

16to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood,

nikolai_42

What is expected of him from God? Is it simply a personal "whiteness"

Can a man be righteous and not holy? I'm trying to think of this from your perspective as it is your question. I'm sure you would say David and Moses and Elijah etc... were all righteous men. But were they holy as well? David's sins were not simply presumptious...

Cross Reference

Can a man be righteous and not holy? I'm trying to think of this from your perspective as it is your question. I'm sure you would say David and Moses and Elijah etc... were all righteous men. But were they holy as well? David's sins were not simply presumptious...

Can one be holy without righteousness? Which is a variable in your estimation and why?

nikolai_42

The only way they can be defined.

Since I can't read your mind I will just point out that Israel was called an holy people by God (Deut 14:2) but they are also called a sinful nation (Isaiah 1:4), stiffnecked (Ex 32:9, Ex 33:3, Ex 34:9, Deut 9:6 etc...) and in that last ref (Deut 9:6) we find God directly contrasting Israel's stiffnecked character with righteousness.

So they were called an holy people but they were not righteous.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We are also to remember that we are sinners.

Past tense.

1 Corinthians 6

7 Now therefore, it is already an utter failure for you that you go to law against one another. Why do you not rather accept wrong? Why do you not rather let yourselves be cheated? 8 No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren! 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 6

3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?

5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.

You are not to tell people you are a sinner. You are to tell them you are set free from sin and death. And not because of what we do or don't do. Do no present yourself as a slave to sin.

beloved57

Nobody exhibits any holiness, godliness if they dont acknowledge the Truth of the Gospel Titus 1:1

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

And Yes the Truths of Tulip are the Truth of the Gospel !