We Defend Animal Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tearing apart any helpless living creature limb from limb is utterly barbaric and I make no excuses for either...

Considering all the animals on land and in the sea, how many times a day do you think this happens? Animals tearing apart other animals and animals eating other animals alive....

dying_star

I am completely against butchering unborn children under any circumstance. I have no respect for anyone who dares to abuse or neglect a child, or any human being for that matter. I would rather see an animal abused than a human being abused. HOWEVER, I don't understand how any person could have the audacity to beat or neglect any animal--nor do I understand why some people do not see anything wrong with the fact that Michael Vick thought it would be cool to let his dogs rip each other to shreds so he could hopefully win a gamble. If he would abuse animals for money, what else would he do for money??

red77

Considering all the animals on land and in the sea, how many times a day do you think this happens? Animals tearing apart other animals and animals eating other animals alive....

Many times - for survival, how does this compare to a supposedly civilised race abusing people or creatures for no good reason?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In that case if the caller recognises that cruelty towards animlas is wrong regardless then fair enough, I'll admit to having a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the article after seeing a poster's comment on the 'Michael Vick' thread where they were against abortion but unable to condemn animal cruelty at the same time....

i dont personally think that Michael Vick should be put to death even though I despise his actions, I think he should be severly punished, for those who believe abortion should remain legal then I would assume they mean in the very very earliest stages of conception where no such tearing apart of limbs could occur

Tearing apart any helpless living creature limb from limb is utterly barbaric and I make no excuses for either, I hold human life above animal life but cruelty towards any life is wrong...

What do you make of this segment quote from the OP?

"*Animal Rights: Every animal has the right to be hunted, killed, cooked, and eaten. Defend animal rights!"

:think:

Red, do you eat meat? I am not going to attack you on this point, I just want to know where you are coming from.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Many times - for survival, how does this compare to a supposedly civilised race abusing people or creatures for no good reason?

We should not neglect our animals and they should not suffer and we should treat them with respect. My point is that all this outrage about a dog fighting and killing another dog and yet this sort of thing happens millions upon millions times a day. Animals eating other animals alive. The outrage is misplaced. The outrage should be what we humans are doing to other humans.

Sean Hannity is upset about these dogs fighting and yet he supports Rudi Giuliani who support ripping apart unborn babies.

I think having the dog fights are wrong, but the attention it is getting is unfounded.

red77

Red, do you eat meat? I am not going to attack you on this point, I just want to know where you are coming from.

Yes I do, in some regards this may well make me open to attack to be honest because I dont have any real idea how well the animals I eat are treated and slaughtered before I eat what appears on the supermarket shelves, I often think about becoming a vegetarian for a lack of confidence that they are.....maybe this thread is the motivation I need...!

I would like to point out that I always eat free range eggs because battery farming is :down:

red77

We should not neglect our animals and they should not suffer and we should treat them with respect. My point is that all this outrage about a dog fighting and killing another dog and yet this sort of thing happens millions upon millions times a day. Animals eating other animals alive. The outrage is misplaced. The outrage should be what we humans are doing to other humans.

Sean Hannity is upset about these dogs fighting and yet he supports Rudi Giuliani who support ripping apart unborn babies.

I think having the dog fights are wrong, but the attention it is getting is unfounded.

The point is that even though a lot of nature can be considered 'cruel' there is at least a point to it in terms of food for survival - not mindless sadistic cruelty for the sake of it which is all any type of animal cruelty such as dog fighting amounts to

We should be outraged against any type of cruelty or sadism IMO

EDIT: I appreciate you mentioning that we should treat animals with respect and not let them suffer :up:

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
We should be outraged against any type of cruelty or sadism IMO

But against humans MUCH MUCH more than animals. A humans spirit is eternal and the pain can linger. When an animals dies, that is it, it is dead.

red77

But against humans MUCH MUCH more than animals. A humans spirit is eternal and the pain can linger. When an animals dies, that is it, it is dead.

Well that raises a whole set of questions that have been debated on other threads, if a foetuses body dies then it's surely not going to be consigned to some place of painful lingering afterwards is it? Why are animals designed to feel pain if there is no real point to their existence?

An act of cruelty towards any being is wrong....

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You know who should really be shot? People who eat poor little crickets. That's just disgusting. Especially when they dip them in chocolate.

Oh and people who boil lobsters alive and then eat them. That's just sick!

red77

You know who should really be shot? People who eat poor little crickets. That's just disgusting. Especially when they dip them in chocolate.

Oh and people who boil lobsters alive and then eat them. That's just sick!

Actually to be honest I do think that boiling lobster's alive is sick.....

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tom: "And also, consider the arguments that people who are pro abortion use to defend abortion and how they just wouldn't stand for such arguments when it comes to a dog. For instance, they'll say that the unborn child is the mother's property. Well these dogs were Michael Vicks property.

....and what if someone said, 'Well, I'm personally opposed to dog fighting but I don't think it should be illegal. I think people should have a right to choose.'"

Good point.

Great call! :up:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes I do, in some regards this may well make me open to attack to be honest because I dont have any real idea how well the animals I eat are treated and slaughtered before I eat what appears on the supermarket shelves, I often think about becoming a vegetarian for a lack of confidence that they are.....maybe this thread is the motivation I need...!

I would like to point out that I always eat free range eggs because battery farming is :down:

Not to worry, I am not going to give you a hard time about eating meat. I was just trying to establish whether you believed killing animals, to eat, constituted cruelty.
On the subject of free range eggs as opposed to eggs from chicken in cages, I think you and I are going to differ a bit on the definition of humane treatment, and I am OK with that. You and I are in agreement that training animals to fight each other, for the entertainment of people, is a pretty nasty thing to do!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anybody know if there is a reason they don't kill them first?

From Chrissy D. Lobster Company:

Q: One of my lobsters arrived dead. Can I still eat it?

A: No! Lobsters degrade quickly on death. In general you should never cook lobster that was dead going into the pot unless you know exactly when it died and what it died of. Some chefs will refuse to prepare a lobster that's been dead for more than 15 minutes, that's how fast the meat can start to degrade, effecting taste and texture! See our policy page on what to do if you have a lobster that arrived dead.

ddevonb

Unfortunately there's no way to listen to the call on the current computer I'm on at work, if that isnt the caller's position then fair enough, but it was certainly what the article on screen came up with - namely it being hypocritical to be concerned about animals while ignoring abortion

Which is a strawman, there's no reason why you cant be concerned about abortion and simultaneously recognise brutality to animals is also wrong, is that fair comment?

i'll try and listen to the actual call later on at home

But many people are more incensed by abusing animals than torturing and killing pre-born babies. That's not a straw man, just a fact.

Since NO ONE said or implied that you can't be concerned about both... it is you that created the straw man.

ddevonb

Tom: "And also, consider the arguments that people who are pro abortion use to defend abortion and how they just wouldn't stand for such arguments when it comes to a dog. For instance, they'll say that the unborn child is the mother's property. Well these dogs were Michael Vicks property.

....and what if someone said, 'Well, I'm personally opposed to dog fighting but I don't think it should be illegal. I think people should have a right to choose.'"

Good point.

Great call! :up:

This quote is almost identical to what Rush Limbaugh said yesterday.

red77

But many people are more incensed by abusing animals than torturing and killing pre-born babies. That's not a straw man, just a fact.

Since NO ONE said or implied that you can't be concerned about both... it is you that created the straw man.

Actually in another thread "Does Michael Vick" it was implied - and as a result the question was directly asked of the poster - why they weren't able to recognise that animal cruelty was wrong as well as with abortion, so I didn't create this 'strawman'

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree as a nation our priorities are screwed up.

I also think dogfighting is a sadistic, hideous, stomach-twisting activity indulged in only by brutes, thugs, and knuckle-draggers. This kind of depravity is absolutely twisted.

If we could get folks as fired up about the degradation of animals as the degradation of our own species, I'd be a happier camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.