Water Baptism passed away in this dispensation

Tico

godrulz said:
Baptism was never regenerational. This is heresy if ritual supplants the blood of Christ.

As I asked, and Lighthouse asked, was it ever for the remission of sins? There a lot of questions that were asked in my previous post. To answers those would help sort this topic out a little more. Thanks.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Was it ever for the remission of sins?

No. It was an outward expression of inward repentance and faith, the real conditions for salvation (grace is the grounds of salvation).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Tico said:
As I asked, and Lighthouse asked, was it ever for the remission of sins? There a lot of questions that were asked in my previous post. To answers those would help sort this topic out a little more. Thanks.

Are you MId-Acts dispensational? The Plot?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
No. It was an outward expression of inward repentance and faith, the real conditions for salvation (grace is the grounds of salvation).
Acts 2:38
"Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
Acts 2:38
"Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

The United Pentecostal Church uses this as a proof text for baptism in the name of Jesus Only (not Trinity), speaking in tongues, repentance for salvation. They are wrong.

I have posted the solution before. You could research it in a credible commentary of Greek language study.The Greek grammar (not obvious just using one Engish translation) links remission with repentance, not baptism. This is consistent with NT teaching elsewhere. Mid-Acts seems like a resolution to you, but creates more problems than it solves and is undermined by sound exegesis vs proof texting. My initial reading of The Plot noted this tendency. A verse in NKJV might seem to support the point, but other versions or the original Greek did not confirm it (I looked up the verses in the footnotes to support ideas that were stated).

The baptism was a normative experience of discipleship following heart faith in the early church. The inspired grammar does not make it a condition of salvation, but the verse does show the practice of the early church in obedience to the Lord's last commission. Circ. vs uncirc. is a misreading of the NT, including Pauline theology which is consistent with Petrine and Johannine theology after the resurrection. Try doing biblical vs systematic theology (read the books in context without a filter).

The same thing happens dealing with JWs. They proof text a verse to support a preconceived theology, but basic grammar in the original languages deflates their assumptions.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
The United Pentecostal Church uses this as a proof text for baptism in the name of Jesus Only (not Trinity), speaking in tongues, repentance for salvation. They are wrong.
And that has what to do with this?

I have posted the solution before. You could research it in a credible commentary of Greek language study.The Greek grammar (not obvious just using one Engish translation) links remission with repentance, not baptism. This is consistent with NT teaching elsewhere. Mid-Acts seems like a resolution to you, but creates more problems than it solves and is undermined by sound exegesis vs proof texting. My initial reading of The Plot noted this tendency. A verse in NKJV might seem to support the point, but other versions or the original Greek did not confirm it (I looked up the verses in the footnotes to support ideas that were stated).
It hasn't created any problems for me. In fact, the only person I have heard say it caused problems was you. And you haven't even read it. You are a dissenter, and a liar!

The baptism was a normative experience of discipleship following heart faith in the early church. The inspired grammar does not make it a condition of salvation, but the verse does show the practice of the early church in obedience to the Lord's last commission. Circ. vs uncirc. is a misreading of the NT, including Pauline theology which is consistent with Petrine and Johannine theology after the resurrection. Try doing biblical vs systematic theology (read the books in context without a filter).

The same thing happens dealing with JWs. They proof text a verse to support a preconceived theology, but basic grammar in the original languages deflates their assumptions.
And the root of the problem here is that you equate remission of sins with salvation.:doh:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
And that has what to do with this?

It hasn't created any problems for me. In fact, the only person I have heard say it caused problems was you. And you haven't even read it. You are a dissenter, and a liar!

And the root of the problem here is that you equate remission of sins with salvation.:doh:

Forgiveness of sins is part of salvation, but not the only issue. The UPC issue is that you both misinterpret the text due to an ignorance of Greek grammar and a preconceived theology.

One verse does not have all biblical truth. Your interpretation is contradicted by other explicit passages. You beg the question by assuming Mid-Acts is biblical, which it is not.

Tico

godrulz said:

Here are a few other passages that deal with baptism and the remission of sins. The question was, "was it ever for the remission of sins?":

Mark 1:4John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:4 ἐγένετο Ἰωάννης [ὁ] βαπτίζων ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ καὶ κηρύσσων βάπτισμα μετανοίας εἰς ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν.

Luke 3:3And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins

Luke 3:3 καὶ ἦλθεν εἰς πᾶσαν [τὴν] περίχωρον τοῦ Ἰορδάνου κηρύσσων βάπτισμα μετανοίας εἰς ἄφεσιν ἁμαρτιῶν

In both of these cases, there is no ambiguity with respect to the Greek: "a baptism of repentance unto or for the remission or forgiveness of sins". The name or description of the baptism is the "baptism of repentance" and it is "for" or "unto" the remission of sins. According to the grammar it's simple cause and effect.

Tico

godrulz said:
Are you MId-Acts dispensational? The Plot?

We have a lot of posts whizzing past, so let me know if I have missed any of your questions.

Yes, I'm a mid-Acts dispensationalist. The Plot is just one book that expresses this point of view which I have read. Some books are good (like the Plot), some are pretty weak. The Bible is the best!

Good discussions. This is fun.

Tico

godrulz said:
Forgiveness of sins is part of salvation, but not the only issue. The UPC issue is that you both misinterpret the text due to an ignorance of Greek grammar and a preconceived theology.

One verse does not have all biblical truth. Your interpretation is contradicted by other explicit passages. You beg the question by assuming Mid-Acts is biblical, which it is not.

Let's take a closer look at Acts 2:38:

38 Πέτρος δὲ πρὸς αὐτούς, Μετανοήσατε, [φησίν,] καὶ βαπτισθήτω ἕκαστος ὑμῶν ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματι Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ εἰς ἄφεσιν τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν ὑμῶν καὶ λήμψεσθε τὴν δωρεὰν τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος.

Actually, grammatically, the command to be baptized is directly connected to the result, "the foregiveness of sin". If one would argue that any of the two elements (repentance or baptism) are not linked to foregiveness, it would have to be repentance. "Let each one of you be baptized in or by the name of Jesus Christ for or unto the remission or foregiveness of the sins of yours" is one complete, connected, contiguous phrase. Repentance, if any, is the stand-alone command.

Look forward to your answers to my other questions in that previous post.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
godrulz said:
I'm not a United Pentecostal, you idiot!

And yet you believe that we must confess every sin, even though only one verse in the entire Bible says to confess. You're a hypocrite.

bling

godrulz said:
Discipleship involves obedience to the Lord. I would also urge all believers to be baptized by immersion subsequent to salvation (I was baptized the same day I became a Christian. Others who professed Christ that day with me were just as saved as I was despite not getting baptized later that day).

I am in full agreement.

bling

Tico asked:

Which is the one baptism referenced in Eph 4:5? Is it of water or of identification into Christ's death and resurrection making us part of the Body of Christ?

We must remain it context: Paul is talking to a group of Christians that were either all water baptized as I believe or if you were right some were water baptized (the Jews). They would have been very familiar with water baptism, because that was going on at the time and most likely discussed in Paul’s two years in the lecture hall of Tyrannus and by those converts at the school from which the whole of Asia had the word preached in just two years. They would have needed teaching on baptism. There was also the baptism of fire they would have been taught about, John’s baptism and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (that came on the Christians at Pentecost and to Cornelius and his household).
The Baptism of the Spirit came on some believers at some times, but does not appear to be the type of baptism that the Ephesians experienced. The Baptism of the Spirit is something the Spirit did very limitedly, but the Spirit does indwell those that except Him and today may have to be water baptized.
I feel when Paul said “one baptism” the Christians at that time and place would have thought of water baptism and that is what Paul was trying to communicate to show the oneness between Jews and gentiles. The one baptism for them was water baptism at which time they had received the indwelling Spirit.

Tico asked:
What is the significance of baptism for the believer today? Please don't just state your opinion, but give Scripture to back it up.
If you follow what a person is to be doing, it would include: Hearing, believing, confessing, repenting, being baptized, loving, hoping, fellowshipping, serving others, praying, and studying. The reason people do not obey is often addressed as not humbling oneself. Baptism is one of those humbling behaviors in which you submit to being baptized. The receiving of the indwell portion of the Holy Spirit is often accompanied with baptism. God does the saving so baptism is not part of being saved, but it is part of the things Christians are privileged to do that helps the Christian to humble him/her self and be a part of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Tico said:
Here are a few other passages that deal with baptism and the remission of sins. The question was, "was it ever for the remission of sins?":

In both of these cases, there is no ambiguity with respect to the Greek: "a baptism of repentance unto or for the remission or forgiveness of sins". The name or description of the baptism is the "baptism of repentance" and it is "for" or "unto" the remission of sins. According to the grammar it's simple cause and effect.

These verses are not believer's baptism in the Church Age. They are JB under the Old Covenant or transitional period. It was still the repentance, symbolized by obedience to baptism, that creates the heart change. Without a change of mind and will, one simply would remain a wet vs dry sinner.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I'm not a United Pentecostal, you idiot!

And yet you believe that we must confess every sin, even though only one verse in the entire Bible says to confess. You're a hypocrite.

I know you are not UPC, but you both believe Peter taught baptismal regeneration or necessity of baptism for salvation.

I do not say you must confess every sin when you come to Christ. No one could remember every sin, nor is it necessary. What I do suggest is that holiness is more than positional and that one should not expect to have intimacy with a holy God if they persist in godless sin as a believer.

Tico

Bling,

We must remain it context: Paul is talking to a group of Christians that were either all water baptized as I believe or if you were right some were water baptized (the Jews).

I apologize if I mislead you, but I stated that baptism took place in a Jewish context. That may have meant Jew or Gentile.

They would have been very familiar with water baptism, because that was going on at the time and most likely discussed in Paul’s two years in the lecture hall of Tyrannus and by those converts at the school from which the whole of Asia had the word preached in just two years. They would have needed teaching on baptism.

This sounds a bit contradictory. If they were very familiar with baptism (even experiencing it), then there would not have been the need for teaching on the topic as evidenced by your next comment:

There was also the baptism of fire they would have been taught about, John’s baptism and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (that came on the Christians at Pentecost and to Cornelius and his household).

What's curious about the Cornelius experience is that he received the Holy Spirit before water baptism.

The Baptism of the Spirit came on some believers at some times, but does not appear to be the type of baptism that the Ephesians experienced. The Baptism of the Spirit is something the Spirit did very limitedly, but the Spirit does indwell those that except Him and today may have to be water baptized.

I'm not sure if that last sentence means that we have to accept Him and be water baptized to receive the Holy Spirit. If you are espousing some settled doctrine that is found in the Bible, then there would be no need to say "today MAY have to be water baptized". If that is the case, then there are two baptisms. There is one into the Body of Christ by the Spirit:

1 Cor. 12:13For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

And some other water one enables the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?

I feel when Paul said “one baptism” the Christians at that time and place would have thought of water baptism and that is what Paul was trying to communicate to show the oneness between Jews and gentiles. The one baptism for them was water baptism at which time they had received the indwelling Spirit.

When do we receive the Holy Spirit?

Gal. 3:2This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

It has nothing to do with water baptism. Another verse or two from Gal. 3.

13Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), 14that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Yet another:

Eph 1:13In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

We are sealed by the Spirit by faith, believing, not by water baptism. Speaking of this oneness between Jew and Gentile (which, of course I believe) we receive this union through the cross, not through water baptism:

Eph. 2:14For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.19Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Nevertheless, Paul says that there is one baptism to which you respond that there is really two. What is more is that you state that the baptism he speaks about is the lesser non-saving baptism of water which may cause an indwelling of the Spirit on some occasions (contrary to the above Scriptures which state that the Spirit comes through faith, not baptism in water).

If you follow what a person is to be doing, it would include: Hearing, believing, confessing, repenting, being baptized, loving, hoping, fellowshipping, serving others, praying, and studying. The reason people do not obey is often addressed as not humbling oneself. Baptism is one of those humbling behaviors in which you submit to being baptized. The receiving of the indwell portion of the Holy Spirit is often accompanied with baptism. God does the saving so baptism is not part of being saved, but it is part of the things Christians are privileged to do that helps the Christian to humble him/her self and be a part of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection.

To this answer, I asked that you not give your opinion (or conclusions) without Scripture. I really appreciate your spirit and in no way question your sincerity, but I would point out that this is what the water baptism supporters are reduced to in the face of Scripture--conjecture and good-hearted, but extra biblical arguments to support the position.

You are still yet to answer my question about Matthew 28 and the rest of the commission. Please review that post. It would be great to talk through that issue as well. Thanks for sharing your input. This is an enjoyable discussion.

Tico

godrulz said:
These verses are not believer's baptism in the Church Age. They are JB under the Old Covenant or transitional period. It was still the repentance, symbolized by obedience to baptism, that creates the heart change. Without a change of mind and will, one simply would remain a wet vs dry sinner.

I certainly appreciate that God changes how He has dealt with folks, but do these verses say what they say: this is baptism of repentance for the remission of sins? Was John's baptism in water necessary for the remission of sins as the text indicates. At one point, you mentioned my ignorance of the Greek. Could you please tell me where my translation of the Greek (which is virtually the same as any other version we have in English) is lacking and how it means that this baptism of repentance was NOT for the remission of sins? If you agree, that it was for the remission of sins, will you recant your statement that baptism in water has never been for the remission of sins? Perhaps you could point out to me where the text says that repentance was symbolized by obedience to baptism.

In the context of referring to my ignorance of Greek, you mentioned the grammatical inner-workings of Acts 2:38. I provided my translation and exegesis of this verse. Could you please point out my error in this regard as well. Please don't state your conclusion, but provide the textual, grammatical evidence of your position.

Thanks for the civility of the discussion. It's much more fun without the below the belt stuff.

Tico

godrulz said:

Also, when time permits, please respond to my question about the one baptism of Eph. 4:5 and my question about Mat. 28:18-20. Thanks.