Water Baptism and the Great Commision

Cntrysner

Did Christ water baptize and adhere to the great commision?

Joh 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

The seeming contradiction...

Joh 4:2 Though Jesus himself baptized not

Bradley D

John seems to be clarifying in John 4:1,2 that it was the disciples who were baptizing and not Jesus.

Cntrysner

John seems to be clarifying in John 4:1,2 that it was the disciples who were baptizing and not Jesus.

I agree, and John may have been saying that Jesus was baptizing but not with water as he preached. I am sure you would agree that one can be baptized without water.

Right Divider

Body part
Did Christ water baptize and adhere to the great commision?

Joh 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

The seeming contradiction...

Joh 4:2 Though Jesus himself baptized not
Why do you believe that this has anything to do with the so-called "great commission"?

Bradley D

I agree, and John may have been saying that Jesus was baptizing but not with water as he preached. I am sure you would agree that one can be baptized without water.

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.." (Matthew 3:11).

Right Divider

Body part
To be honest I don't. "So called" is on target. Will you clarify the seeming contradiction In John for me in reference to,,,did Jesus water baptize?
Why did you bother to use John 3:22 when John 4:1 says the same thing?

Joh 4:1-2 KJV When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, (2) (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

Apparently when "Jesus baptized", He had His disciples actually perform the baptism. This is not a contradiction, but a detail.

Why does this give you problems? Are you another one looking to bash the Bible?

Cntrysner

Why did you bother to use John 3:22 when John 4:1 says the same thing?

Joh 4:1-2 KJV When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, (2) (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

Apparently when "Jesus baptized", He had His disciples actually perform the baptism. This is not a contradiction, but a detail.

Why does this give you problems? Are you another one looking to bash the Bible?

On the contrary, was discussing it on another forum and looking for another approach to prove Jesus did not water baptize.

Cntrysner

So what was with the "seeming contradiction"?

You seem to be a contradiction.

There was no contradiction for me. Seeming referred to a discussion others had on another forum. I hold to Jesus did not water baptize others and Christ did not send Paul to water baptize. Some held to baptismal regeneration and the great commission. Jesus was water baptized to fulfill all righteousness (law)for us not for remission of sins because he was sinless.

I to believe in rightly dividing the word. All scripture is for us but all scripture is not to us. The message of salvation was by progressive revelation and the gospel was revealed in dispensations.

You seem to have pent up emotions which I understand. Arguing with bible bashers that try to destroy the finished work of Christ can be extremely stressful.

I don't profess to be a biblical scholar, I barely finished high school and my typing ability and sentence structure is sud par to say the least. I always struggle to get my point across but I do enjoy my KJV bible and consider it the sword of the spirit.

Right Divider

Body part
There was no contradiction for me. Seeming referred to a discussion others had on another forum. I hold to Jesus did not water baptize others and Christ did not send Paul to water baptize. Some held to baptismal regeneration and the great commission. Jesus was water baptized to fulfill all righteousness (law)for us not for remission of sins because he was sinless.

I to believe in rightly dividing the word. All scripture is for us but all scripture is not to us. The message of salvation was by progressive revelation and the gospel was revealed in dispensations.

You seem to have pent up emotions which I understand. Arguing with bible bashers that try to destroy the finished work of Christ can be extremely stressful.

I don't profess to be a biblical scholar, I barely finished high school and my typing ability and sentence structure is sud par to say the least. I always struggle to get my point across but I do enjoy my KJV bible and consider it the sword of the spirit.
Glad to hear that you understand that the Bible must be rightly divided to be understood. There are far too many that do not understand that and reject it.

Cntrysner

Comission:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Matt. 28:19 (KJV)

Is it possible that Jesus was baptizing but it was with His words not water.

In Matt. 28:19 It is clear the apostles are being instructed to teach and the teaching of the word will baptize them. The word is spirit and it is by this word we are baptized.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profited nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The quickening of the spirit (baptism) is immediate when the words of Christ Jesus are believed.

G2227 quickeneth: revitalize, give life, restore life to that which was dead in sins…all the essences of reborn.

In the same context he says the flesh profits nothing. Water baptism is an operation of man administered upon the flesh. Baptizing the flesh in water has no profit towards born of the spirit or born again.

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.