Theology Club: Was the Mystery Hidden in Prophecy?

Danoh

A nice, succinct article on this, by Pastor Justin Johnson...

Was the Mystery Hidden in Prophecy?

graceambassadors.com/mystery/was-the-mystery-hidden-in-prophecy

“…the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began…” – Rom 16:25

This should be clear enough, but it is often rejected by claiming that the mystery of Christ was prophesied but hidden in the old testament, the law, or the promises given to Abraham.

This is an outright denial of what Paul says by inspiration that the mystery of Christ was “kept secret since the world began”.

If something was revealed since the world began until Paul, it can not be the mystery of Christ revealed to Paul.

“Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:” – Col 1:26

The mystery was hidden from past ages of time. There is no time in the past in which this mystery was made known, until now.

“But Peter says the prophets prophesied of grace in 1 Pet 1:10”

Then what was prophesied about grace cannot be the mystery of Christ, even if they did not understand what they prophesied.

That they prophesied at all means God revealed and did not keep it secret (Deu 29:29).

God’s word says the mystery was hid “from generations”. There is no generation of men that was given this information until Paul.

“Then, where was the mystery of Christ hid if not in the Old Testament writings?”

Eph 3:9 explains that the mystery was “from the beginning of the world hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ”.

God the creator, before the world began, decided to keep this mystery a secret, hidden, and unknown until He revealed it to the apostle Paul by the Spirit (Eph 3:3-5; Gal 1:15-16; Rom 15:15-16).

It was not hidden in the Old Testament writings, nor in the New Testament writings, nor in the promises given to Abraham.

“But the prophets did speak of Christ’s death, forgiveness of sins, and grace to Gentiles.”

Then those things cannot be the mystery kept secret, unknown to ages and generations, hidden from the beginning in God as the Scripture states.

If the mystery was in prophecy then it ceases to be a mystery.

This is the foundation of rightly dividing the word of truth, and the only way to keep from denying the secret nature of the mystery.

To Paul was revealed the mystery of Christ’s headship in heaven with one body called the church united to him freely by God’s grace through Christ’s death, blood, and resurrection.

This mystery of Christ is not found at all in prophecy.

If something was revealed since the world began until Paul, it cannot be the mystery of Christ revealed first to Paul.

“This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.” – Eph 5:32

Acts 17: 11, 12

Rom. 14:5; Rom. 5:6-8.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good start.
Now, what was the mystery that had not been revealed until Paul?
What was it that Paul taught by revelation that was never revealed before?

Danoh

Good start.
Now, what was the mystery that had not been revealed until Paul?
What was it that Paul taught by revelation that was never revealed before?

Hey Tam, hope your granddaughter is all better - God bless her.

To answer your question: The Mystery of Christ.

Of Christ in a New Creature over the Heavenlies.

Or as Justin put it "To Paul was revealed the mystery of Christ’s headship in heaven with one body called the church united to him freely by God’s grace through Christ’s death, blood, and resurrection."

In other words, an aspect of the Cross - concerning the Heavenlies and a New Creature, that the Cross would also make possible.

As I noted long, long ago, on here - the salvation of souls is merely a side benefit of God's actual focus - His TWO-Fold Purpose in the Cross of His Son: Prophecy (the Earth) Mystery (The Heavenlies).

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Rom. 5:6-8.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey Tam, hope your granddaughter is all better - God bless her.

To answer your question: The Mystery of Christ.

Of Christ in a New Creature over the Heavenlies.

Or as Justin put it "To Paul was revealed the mystery of Christ’s headship in heaven with one body called the church united to him freely by God’s grace through Christ’s death, blood, and resurrection."

In other words, an aspect of the Cross - concerning the Heavenlies and a New Creature, that the Cross would also make possible.

As I noted long, long ago, on here - the salvation of souls is merely a side benefit of God's actual focus - His TWO-Fold Purpose in the Cross of His Son: Prophecy (the Earth) Mystery (The Heavenlies).

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

That's rather general, and not specific enough as to what one must believe or do that would clarify if one was in the prophetic program or the mystery program.
Especially to those that do not understand what the distinctions are since both include grace and faith.
To make this thread a success, details are required to explain why two separate programs based on grace and faith are different from each other in scope and application.
And how both programs are sufficient and do not negate or oppose each other.

And also, Danoh, if you would please knock off all the "hybrid" accusations and let's just study together would be great.
If not, so be it and I will move on to another thread.
Because I am not really interested in what different types of MAD groups get right or wrong, I'm interested in what scripture reveals to us.

Danoh

I ran across that article, found I agree with it, and so I posted it.

Beyond that, I wasn't really after a study back and forth with anyone, as I barely post anymore.

Been rather busy, these days.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not sure that creating a whole new thread just to post something you have no intention of discussing is the right thing to do.
Could have just added it to any of the many threads already existing.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Was the Mystery Hidden in Prophecy?
That Christ would die for some men's sins was hidden in the scriptures until God revealed it to and through Paul (Romans 16:25-27 KJV) and why it was hidden before was the wisdom of God (1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV).

The mystery of Ephesians 3 (Ephesians 3:6 KJV) and the fellowship of the mystery (Ephesians 3:9 KJV) are the manifold wisdom of God later revealed to and through Paul when he was given the dispensation of the grace of God to us-ward (the cause of him being a prisoner of Jesus Christ for us according to Ephesians 3!).

Jerry Shugart

Justin Johnson is wrong because the "mystery of Christ" is not the same thing as "the mystery" of which Paul spoke of here:

"Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, even the preaching of Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith"
(Ro.16:25-26).​

This is speaking about preaching the gospel to unbelievers. Not preaching the truths regarding the Body of Christ, truths which no one can understand until they are first quickened by the gospel. Here is "the mystery" which Christians are to preach to unbelievers:

"But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faithfulness of Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus" (Ro.3:21-24).​

This is speaking about the imputed rightousness of God which all believers down through the ages receive and it it is made possible because all believers "are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

Notice that Paul said that "now...has been made known."

Here is one of the reasons that truth was kept secret until Paul revealed it:

"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory"
(1 Cor.2:7-8).​