War on Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feral Phoenician

Did a liberal atheist really just say that :AMR:

You are one to talk, Mr. Small Portrait of Jesus in School Causing Irreversible Psychological Harm.

1. "The Horn" is Jewish. Secular Judaism is a recognized sect. It is, obviously, far removed from Orthodox (as are Liberal Judaism and Humanist Judaism. For the record, I was raised Reform, which is also pretty far removed from Orthodox).

2. There is no way a small portrait of Jesus would cause psychological harm. I've worked in the Mental Health Field since I was 19 years old, and I assure you, anyone claiming a small portrait of Jesus causes trauma is either an agenda-driven liar, or had already suffered psychological trauma.

If you have a link to that story you cited, I'd love it. (Please note I am not doubting your claim, as I've seen even more outlandish articles published in the name of agenda).

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Feral Phoenician

Just read it.

Of course, the ACLU. They used to be a fantastic organization that actually gave a darn about actual Civil Rights and Liberties. Once upon a time, they were worth their weight in gold.

Now they do garbage like this. Pack of Shysters. I hate the modern ACLU.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Just read it.

Of course, the ACLU. They used to be a fantastic organization that actually gave a darn about actual Civil Rights and Liberties. Once upon a time, they were worth their weight in gold.

Now they do garbage like this. Pack of Shysters. I hate the modern ACLU.

It used to be about 'freedom of religion', now it's about 'freedom from religion'.

The difference has been trivialized- nowhere in the Constitution does it say that one has a right to never see or hear religion.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
The December 25 celebration was imported into the East later: in Antioch by John Chrysostom towards the end of the 4th century, probably in 388, and in Alexandria only in the following century. Even in the West, the January 6 celebration of the nativity of Jesus seems to have continued until after 380.

In 245, Origen of Alexandria, writing about Leviticus 12:1–8, commented that Scripture mentions only sinners as celebrating their birthdays, namely Pharaoh, who then had his chief baker hanged (Genesis 40:20–22), and Herod, who then had John the Baptist beheaded (Mark 6:21–27), and mentions saints as cursing the day of their birth, namely Jeremiah (Jeremiah 20:14–15) and Job (Job 3:1–16). In 303, Arnobius ridiculed the idea of celebrating the birthdays of gods, a passage cited as evidence that Arnobius was unaware of any nativity celebration.
1. Those who have studied early Christianity are aware that many current traditions we hold sacred are not based on Scripture.
2. The decision to place Christmas on December 25th was an arbitrary one and for early Christians it was Easter, not Christmas, that was the most important date on their religious calendar.
3. As noted in the above quote, early Christian leaders (Origen of Alexandria, Arnobius) were opposed to the celebration of birthdays on Biblical grounds.

Many popular customs associated with Christmas developed independently of the commemoration of Jesus' birth, with certain elements having origins in pre-Christian festivals that were celebrated around the winter solstice by pagan populations who were later converted to Christianity. These elements, including the Yule log from Yule and gift giving from Saturnalia, became syncretized into Christmas over the centuries. The prevailing atmosphere of Christmas has also continually evolved since the holiday's inception, ranging from a sometimes raucous, drunken, carnival-like state in the Middle Ages, to a tamer family-oriented and children-centered theme introduced in a 19th-century transformation. Additionally, the celebration of Christmas was banned on more than one occasion within certain Protestant groups, such as the Puritans, due to concerns that it was too pagan or unbiblical. Also Jehovah Witnesses reject Christmas celebration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas
4. The date associated with Christmas, Yule logs and gift giving are all associated with having non-Christian origins.
5. Certain Christian groups have rejected the celebration of Christmas as pagan and/or unbiblical.
6. It could be argued that Origen of Alexandria, Arnobius, the Puritans and the Jehovah Witnesses have already declared their own "War on Christmas!"

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Christmas is nevertheless our veneration of Christ's birth. Nowhere is it written that it must be on the actual day, and it never was a secret even when the day was designated that Jesus was not born at that time.

It seems tome like people are just trying to over rationalize it to be indifferent about atheists attacking the tradition.

Feral Phoenician

Meh.

Christmas is a major Holiday in this country, whether people like it or not. Religions other than Christianity (and even lack of Religion) celebrate it.

Getting "offended" at Christmas, or at "Merry Christmas" tells me the person is a delicate little snowflake that needs "special handling". I mean God Above, even I say "Merry Christmas".

Now, there's also nothing wrong with honoring the holidays of other faiths. It puts a little smile on my face when someone says "Happy Chanukah", and a great, broad grin when someone acknowledges the High Holy Days.

But, if you live in America, "Christmas is King", and that's just a realistic fact of life.

Feral Phoenician

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
War on Christmas

Christmas will continue to thrive in America because those "faceless" corporate leaders, the nation's real decision makers, need it to increase their bottom line.

If Christmas hadn't existed, they would have had to invent it!

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
War on Christmas

Ultimately, we as Christians are free to celebrate Christmas any way they wish - the fact that they are not free to impose our religious beliefs on everyone doesn't constitute what one would consider a "War on Christmas!"

gcthomas

They’re here plotting to bring their wisdom to the nation’s public elementary school children. They point out that Christian evangelical groups already have infiltrated the lives of America’s children through after-school religious programming in public schools, and they appear determined to give young students a choice: Jesus or Satan.

“It’s critical that children understand that there are multiple perspectives on all issues, and that they have a choice in how they think,” said Doug Mesner, the Satanic Temple’s co-founder.

Status
Not open for further replies.