WA State Judge Explains Ruling Against Christian Florist

Jose Fly

So you'd prefer to live in a fundamentalist Christian theocracy, rather than our current secular system.

Noted.

Christian Liberty

So you'd prefer to live in a fundamentalist Christian theocracy, rather than our current secular system.

Noted.

Wait, not punishing Christian businessowners for refusing to endorse blatant immorality is a "fundamentalist Christian theocracy"? Wow...

I'm more sympathetic to theonomy (though not the ultra-statist versions often endorsed here) than I used to be, but I wasn't even advocating that, let alone "fundamentalist Christian theocracy", whatever that means (indeed, many "fundamentalists" worship humanistic laws almost as much as you do.)

At the very core minimum, a government cannot justly punish someone for doing something that is not immoral (even more so doing the RIGHT thing.) As I said, its one thing to tolerate certain immoral actions (which I'm for doing in numerous, though not all, circumstances), its another thing to punish people for refusing to engage in immorality.

Yeah, I think what I'd endorse is a lot closer to "theocracy" than what you'd care for, since I believe the Bible is the standard for all ethics, including governmental ethics. But, if you think that means I'd support some version of Christianized Sharia, you are so very wrong...

Christian Liberty

I don't think any genuine Christian theocracy could be nearly as immoral as the society we live in today. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a neoconservative hijacking of Christian theocracy in someone's mind that would be worse.

Jose Fly

Wait, not punishing Christian businessowners for refusing to endorse blatant immorality is a "fundamentalist Christian theocracy"? Wow...
No, it's because you just got done complaining about judges throwing out the Bible and our society moving away from your religion. So obviously you'd prefer a government system run according to your religion. IOW, a theocracy.

Yeah, I think what I'd endorse is a lot closer to "theocracy" than what you'd care for, since I believe the Bible is the standard for all ethics, including governmental ethics. But, if you think that means I'd support some version of Christianized Sharia, you are so very wrong...
That's exactly what a theocracy is.

shagster01

I'm sure that's what you believe.

And your logic gives us Jim Crow.

It's not Jim Crow. The article states they were long time customers. She was not refusing gay business like a Jim Crow law. She was refusing to do the specific event.

She was not refusing them because they are gay. She is refusing to take part in an event she doesn't agree with. It's absolutely ridiculous that the law would make her.

Lon

That's not what Rusha imagined.

Nope. In that case the guy wanted a Christian baker to write "God hates Gays" on a cake, which is asking her to engage in a specific type of speech. She refused. The guy is mad, but has no case because "people who hate gays" are not a protected class, nor are you entitled to compel a business to engage in a specific speech.

In this case the same-sex couple just wanted flowers for their wedding. They didn't ask the florist to write or say anything, or engage in any sort of specific speech. Just sell them flowers like you do for any other wedding. She refused purely because they are gay, which is illegal.

I honestly can't believe so many of you here at ToL can't understand this.
I can. That's not the problem. The problem is a florist has to come into the chapel to set up the floral arrangements. It isn't just 'selling flowers.' It involves rubbing elbows right smack in the middle.

Jose Fly

She was not refusing them because they are gay. She is refusing to take part in an event she doesn't agree with. It's absolutely ridiculous that the law would make her.
Stupid arguments like that are why your side keeps losing in court. She had provided flowers for opposite-sex couples before. The only reason she wouldn't do the same for this couple is because they're gay. That's illegal.

Jose Fly

I can. That's not the problem. The problem is a florist has to come into the chapel to set up the floral arrangements. It isn't just 'selling flowers.' It involves rubbing elbows right smack in the middle.
Yeah, when you open a business to the public, you often find yourself interacting with the public. Imagine that.

Christian Liberty

No, it's because you just got done complaining about judges throwing out the Bible and our society moving away from your religion. So obviously you'd prefer a government system run according to your religion. IOW, a theocracy.

That's exactly what a theocracy is.

OK then, by your standards I definitely and absolutely support "theocracy." But usually when people use that term they mean more than that.

Christian Liberty

You once told me there weren't any unjust laws in the US. Do you still believe that?

Are police who enforce such laws on behalf of the state acting in a moral manner?

shagster01

She had provided flowers for opposite-sex couples before.

Doesn't matter. That does not change the fact that she does not want to participate in this particular event. She serves gay people otherwise, obviously.

The only reason she wouldn't do the same for this couple is because they're gay. That's illegal.

No. It's because it was a gay celebratory event they wanted to pay her to be involved with and she had a problem with it.

Business owners are being made into slaves by these laws.

Jose Fly

Doesn't matter.
Yeah, it does and the courts agree with me.

No. It's because it was a gay celebratory event they wanted to pay her to be involved with and she had a problem with it.
Wrong. She had shown that she would provide flowers for same-sex weddings, but not opposite-sex ones. The only difference between the two is serial orientation. The law says you can't do that.

Business owners are being made into slaves by these laws.
Really? A florist open to the public having to provide flowers to the public is akin to slavery....one of the worst chapters in human history? Can you say "taking hyperbole to a new level of stupid"? :rolleyes:

Christian Liberty

No, you people are even worse than the 19th century slaveholders. Not only do you wish to force people to perform labor on your behalf, but you want them to force them to do something that is objectively immoral for them to perform.

I wonder how long Christians can remain at peace with rabid secularists, they will keep pushing and pushing until we fight back.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Quit shooing away the pesky flies Jose.....let them scavenge what they can...it's entertaining. :juggle:

Jose Fly

Oh no, the entertainment is in watching the absurd arguments from these folks. Now a business open to the public having to serve the public is no longer slavery, it's WORSE THAN slavery! I mean, come on...does it get any funnier than that?

And what's truly funny is how they can't figure any of this out, so the only thing they can do is chalk the whole thing up to some shadowy conspiracy among "activist liberal judges" and/or a nebulous "agenda" that eventually will lead to them being locked up (or worse) just for being Christians. And they're serious...they really have no other explanation. :rotfl:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So sorry, but I don't see her posting on TOL. Nice distraction though.

Oddly enough, most people who are planning their wedding have services provided by those who wish to share in their joy. The flowers at my wedding were done by a family friend and awesome.

However, I bet if I went to someone who I knew wouldn't want my business, those flowers would have been of superior quality and much more sentimental.

:rotfl:

Neither is the Christian florist, but that didn't stop you from talking about her.

You ToL Christians sure are a hoot! :chuckle:

Oh no, the entertainment is in watching the absurd arguments from these folks. Now a business open to the public having to serve the public is no longer slavery, it's WORSE THAN slavery! I mean, come on...does it get any funnier than that?

And what's truly funny is how they can't figure any of this out, so the only thing they can do is chalk the whole thing up to some shadowy conspiracy among "activist liberal judges" and/or a nebulous "agenda" that eventually will lead to them being locked up (or worse) just for being Christians. And they're serious...they really have no other explanation.

You have demonstrated on this very thread WHY I (as well as others) oppose these types of laws.

They are made based on ASSUMPTIONS. You made the ridiculous assumption that because I supported the business owners right to make the decisions of what services they will offer or refuse that I must be a Christian.

Unlike you, I support the freedoms and rights of all law-abiding citizens, including those I disagree with. You, OTOH, wish to strip business owners of their rights without sound reasoning.

We are not speaking of surgery or a life saving procedure. It's a flower arrangement. Or a cake. Or a wedding. Whatever.

In a free society, everyone isn't required to agree with OR accommodate your every whim.