ECT Understanding why the council quoted Amos

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The purpose of the council quoting Amos was to show that Paul's ministry to the Gentiles was not contrary to the prophets.
Paul's ministry, however, was not the fulfilling of the Amos passage.

James quoted from the Greek version of the OT (the Septuigant), but with a slight modification. Here are the verses from the Septuigant :

"In that day will I raise up again the tabernacle of David that is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up...That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who does all these things."
(Amos 9:11-12; LXX).​

James replaced the words "in that day" with the following words:

"After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things" (Acts 15:16).​

James believed that this prophecy of Amos will not be fulfilled until after the Lord Jesus returns.

Correct!

Isa 16:5 And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.

Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD[YHVH], that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he[the Branch] shall be called, THE LORD[YHVH] OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Zec 6:12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:
Zec 6:13 Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.

Jerry Shugart

Correct!

Isa 16:5 And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.

Great verse!

James is saying that it will not be until the Lord Jesus returns that He will fulfill the Davidic covenant by raising up the tabernacle of David and building it as in the days of old. As soon as David became king of Israel he sought to bring the Ark of the Covenant back to the people, since that Ark was where the Lord was present. He then built a tabernacle or tent where he could place the Ark:

"And David made him houses in the city of David, and prepared a place for the ark of God, and pitched for it a tent"
(1 Chron. 15:1).​

We can understand that the "tabernacle of David" is in regard to the "throne" on which the Lord Jesus will sit when He sets up the kingdom on earth:

"And in mercy shall the throne be established: and He shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness" (Isa.16:5).​

We can also understand that the tabernacle will be set up in the "midst" of the children of Israel and that will be in the land which the LORD gave to Jacob:

"And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever...My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore"
(Ez.37:27,28).​

Of course Interplanner is so lost and confused he actually thinks that the land which the LORD gave to Jacob is in heaven!

Interplanner

Jerry wrote:
James is saying that it will not be until the Lord Jesus

He's not. He's saying that the growing faith of the Gentiles is the raised tent. That is the plain meaning, whether you like figures of speech and fulfillment in Christ or not.

Interplanner

I have to :rotfl: with you STP.

James is not thinking futurist at all. That is phantom theology. He is clearly talking about the faith that has developed among Gentiles. That is why NOTHING about the 2nd coming (as you see it) is mentioned in any of the proceedings or results of the council. Your approach is entirely fantasy and imaginary.

Interplanner

I have to :rotfl: with you STP.

"V14: Simon has described to us how god at first showed his concern by taking from the Gentiels a people for himself. V15: The words of the prophets are in agreement with this, as it is written:

V16: 'After this (exile) I will return
and rebuild David's fallen tent.'
Its ruins I will rebuild,
and I will restore it,
V17: that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
and all the Gentiles who bear my name...

Christ's mission is the rebuilding. It is the antecedent of "this."

SaulToPaul 2

"V14: Simon has described to us how god at first showed his concern by taking from the Gentiels a people for himself. V15: The words of the prophets are in agreement with this, as it is written:

and I will restore it,

:chuckle:

SaulToPaul 2

and I will restore it,

Once the tent is rebuilt, then the Gentiles will seek the LORD

In accord with Matthew 10:23 (KJV)