Understanding the Bible from phrases used

Right Divider

Body part
By looking at phrases used in different parts of scripture, we can learn what belongs together and what does not.

In Matthew, Mark, Luke and John the Lord Jesus Christ is quoted as using the phrase "Son of man" 81 times.
The number of times that Paul's uses that phrase in his thirteen epistles.... ZERO.

TrevorL

Greetings Right Divider,
By looking at phrases used in different parts of scripture, we can learn what belongs together and what does not.

In Matthew, Mark, Luke and John the Lord Jesus Christ is quoted as using the phrase "Son of man" 81 times.
The number of times that Paul's uses that phrase in his thirteen epistles.... ZERO.
I would like you to spell out what you think is the significance of this. Did Paul endorse this title of Jesus or not? Did he reject this title. I also believe that Paul is the author of the Letter to the Hebrews, and he quotes from and expounds Psalm 8 applying it to Jesus, and I believe that when it says “the son of man” I suggest that this is THE or A major source of Jesus’ title and status “The Son of Man”.

Hebrews 2:6-9 (KJV): 6 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak. 6 But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? 7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: 8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Psalm 80:17 (KJV): Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, upon the son of man whom thou madest strong for thyself.

Kind regards
Trevor

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings Right Divider, I would like you to spell out what you think is the significance of this. Did Paul endorse this title of Jesus or not? Did he reject this title. I also believe that Paul is the author of the Letter to the Hebrews, and he quotes from and expounds Psalm 8 applying it to Jesus, and I believe that when it says “the son of man” I suggest that this is THE or A major source of Jesus’ title and status “The Son of Man”.
Hebrews 2:6-9 (KJV): 6 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak. 6 But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? 7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: 8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Psalm 80:17 (KJV): Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, upon the son of man whom thou madest strong for thyself.

Kind regards
Trevor

2Th 3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

Where do we find this in the letter to the Hebrews?

TrevorL

Greetings steko,
2Th 3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.
Where do we find this in the letter to the Hebrews?
This seems to be an absolute verification that Paul did not write Hebrews, but I suggest that there are a number of indications that Paul wrote Hebrews. The normal Letters were written to Congregations that Paul had a direct contact with, often establishing them with his own preaching. The Letter to the Hebrews is not written to such a Congregation, but to the Hebrews in the shadow of AD70, when there was a danger that the Jewish Christians would throw in their lot with the Jewish rebellion, and thus forsake Christ. He is not writing from the authority of his Apostleship, but rather out of concern and care for the Jewish Christians. He wants his subject to be how Christ fulfils and supersedes the Law. Incidentally, I still do not know what significance can be placed upon Paul not using the title “The Son of Man” in his normal letters. Perhaps you may support this idea, hence your insistence that Paul did not write Hebrews. Perhaps you could resolve my difficulty. Even 7dengo7 endorsed the OP, and perhaps he could clarify this also.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again Right Divider,
Because that phrase refers to Christ's place as the predominate person on the earth.
Paul says that our (the body of Christ) citizenship is in heaven.
Let me guess at the picture you are painting, during the coming Kingdom of God on earth. Jesus will be sitting on the Throne of David in Jerusalem with all the faithful up until the time of Paul, and doing all the heavy lifting in converting and teaching the mortal nations, while Paul and you and 7dengo7, and perhaps DougE (“Peter and Paul preached different Gospels”), and a few other members of this forum will be floating on clouds in heaven strumming harps.

Kind regards
Trevor

God's Truth

Who wrote what?

We see that Tertius wrote Romans for Paul.

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God—

Romans 16:22 I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord.