Tyrant Dad

bybee

Taking parenting advice from Enyart is like taking dietary advice from John Candy.

I do not trust men who hit children with belts. Men must be very careful with discipline.
When I was a very young child my father, who was a strapping six feet one inch, would spank me. My lips turned blue and I couldn't breath from the shock of it. It taught me one thing, how to hate with a pure undiluted single-mindedness. I lived to leave!
It took me years to unburden myself from that painful emotion.

bybee

bybee, surely there are a plentitude of other Internet forums where you'd be happier? :idunno:

I'm generally quite happy here.
It is unfortunate that such a loathe-some toad as yourself is allowed to disrupt and cause disharmony at every turn on this forum.
But, this is our burden, and I shall fight you at every libelous post that you scratch in the dust.
You are an abomination.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I do not trust men who hit children with belts. Men must be very careful with discipline.
When I was a very young child my father, who was a strapping six feet one inch, would spank me. My lips turned blue and I couldn't breath from the shock of it. It taught me one thing, how to hate with a pure undiluted single-mindedness. I lived to leave!

I'm sorry for your experiences, and I hope other parents will consider your words. They're important.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I'm generally quite happy here.

yes, it shows in your posts

perhaps you're unaware of your schizophrenic alter-ego who commandeers your keyboard periodically

i expect i'll learn a lot about you this fall - i'm taking an abnormal psychology class and i believe i saw schizophrenia in the syllabus

bybee

yes, it shows in your posts

perhaps you're unaware of your schizophrenic alter-ego who commandeers your keyboard periodically

i expect i'll learn a lot about you this fall - i'm taking an abnormal psychology class and i believe i saw schizophrenia in the syllabus

Better read up on psychopath! You fit the description.

The Berean

My father whipped me with a belt on occasion. He only did it as a last resort to get a point of across and it worked. I think the last time he whipped me was when I was 10 or 11 years old. I'm 46 years old now and we laugh about it sometimes today. He told me he didn't really like doing it but on rare occasions he felt he had to because harsh words were not enough. I was NOT emotionally damaged nor did I grow up having daddy issues. The key is control. My father was never angry when he whipped me. I told him as I got older it didn't really hurt and I faked crying. He laughed. :chuckle:

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Wait, whoa? Ummm...no....
The emotional pain of being beaten by a drunken dad, I'd take mikes best shot any day.

There's a difference from correction with the rod biblically from those outside the faith...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Berean

The emotional pain of being beaten by a drunken dad, I'd take mikes best shot any day.

There's a difference from correction with the rod biblically from those outside the faith...

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through that in your life. :noid:

Last edited by a moderator:

bybee

My father whipped me with a belt on occasion. He only did it as a last resort to get a point of across and it worked. I think the last time he whipped me was when I was 10 or 11 years old. I'm 46 years old now and we laugh about it sometimes todays. He told me he didn't really like doing it but on rare occasions he felt he had to because harsh words were not enough. I was NOT emotionally damaged nor did I grow up having daddy issues. The key is control. My father was never angry when he whipped me. I told him as I got older it didn't really hurt and I faked crying. He laughed. :chuckle:

Would you whip your children with a belt? Would you let your father whip your children with a belt?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
My father whipped me with a belt on occasion. He only did it as a last resort to get a point of across and it worked. I think the last time he whipped me was when I was 10 or 11 years old. I'm 46 years old now and we laugh about it sometimes todays. He told me he didn't really like doing it but on rare occasions he felt he had to because harsh words were not enough. I was NOT emotionally damaged nor did I grow up having daddy issues. The key is control. My father was never angry when he whipped me.
:thumb:

My dad had quite a temper. When I was little, if I went anywhere with him in the car, there was a chance I might learn a new word or two - which I then had to not repeat in front of my mom.

All joking aside, he did have a bit of a temper, but he NEVER used a belt on either me or my brother when we were growing up. And I was quite a handful. But I turned out okay in the end. (I didn't turn out an arrogant narcissistic bigot like aCW or a nasty, vicious troll who delights in trying to make everyone around him as miserable as possible like resurrected, that's for sure).

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
And to be a good dad you don't need a belt for anything other than holding your pants up.

Striking your child with a belt is abuse.

Leaving welts is abuse.

My dad gave me the belt when I was a child and to my recollection I deserved it every time, I will also say I was never abused. I am a better man for being taught respect even through the use of the rod/belt. The problem with the youth of today is that they have not been taught respect, and the liberal method of "time out" in lieu of the rod has bred an entire generation of disrespectful, self centered adults which is American society today. If you love your children you will not spare the rod.

Prov. 13:24 One who spares the rod hates his son,
But one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Prov. 22:15 Folly is bound up in the heart of a child:
The rod of discipline drives it far from him.

Prov. 23:13 Don’t withhold correction from a child.
If you punish him with the rod, he will not die.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
My dad gave me the belt when I was a child and to my recollection I deserved it every time, I will also say I was never abused. I am a better man for being taught respect even through the use of the rod/belt. The problem with the youth of today is that they have not been taught respect, and the liberal method of "time out" in lieu of the rod has bred an entire generation of disrespectful, self centered adults which is American society today. If you love your children you will not spare the rod.

I love my children more than myself and I spared them from the rod, and I could not ask for better sons. I'm very proud of them. You can indeed raise respectful, grounded, responsible children without beating them with a belt. I can't imagine in all the world hitting my children with a belt. What does that teach them? What, exactly? I'd like to know. Who's in charge? My sons knew. That hurting them is the only way to show them that there are consequences to actions? What are you teaching them that must come with a welt?

See, I have the experience that Lighthouse doesn't. He can pretend he does, but he doesn't have it. Plain and simple.

I don't think you've accumulated the years of parenting I have, because my sons are older than yours.

I don't know if Stripe has kids or not. But Stripe lied about me in this thread, so what does that mean? That his dad didn't beat him enough?

I don't believe that means a physical rod. I believe it means authority.

Beating a child with a belt doesn't teach respect, it only teaches fear. You will get a lot farther if the kid understands why a certain rule exists rather than because you said so and because you'll beat him with a belt if he disobeys you.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
kids who learn to get away with breaking the rules will learn soon enough that the belt life ends up beating them with has nails in it

Granite

Hall of Fame
Was spanked as a kid. My folks have a very different perspective on it now, in retrospect.

Corporal punishment seems to mean you've either lost control of yourself, or the situation.