Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lucky
Originally posted by avatar382

Jesus was in no way prideful. Although he claimed to be the son of God, he sure didn't act like you'd think a heavanly prince would... He was born to a common woman in a manger. He was a carpenter. He lived a humble life and encouraged others to do the same. He never boasted and he was never self-righteous. To Jesus, humility was a virtue.
From your perspective, this is true. But this was not how many of the Pharisees and other religious leaders viewed Jesus at all. And I think your view of Christians is very similar to how the Pharisees viewed Jesus.

Pride is arguably the most dangerous and oldest of all sins.
Agreed.
Perhaps spreading the message of humility was not Jesus' main purpose, however, who can deny the fact that Jeses was one of the most humble people to ever live?
I don't know everyone who has ever lived, so I cannot make that judgement. Yes, many a time Jesus was humble in his approach. But even some of those opposed to using name-calling in evagelism will point out that Jesus was at times very harsh.
Are Christians not supposed to be Christlike?
I've often defined Christian as "like Christ", but sometimes "follower of Christ" is more accurate. Only Christ (who is God) has the power to forgive me of all my sins. Thus, I cannot be "like Christ" in that respect, as I am powerless to forgive someone of all their sins.

But that's probably besides the point. You mean Christ-like in the sense that we should be humble 24/7. I find it hilariously idiotic when a non-Christian attempts to render a Christian useless in a debate by telling them, in a roundabout way, they "need to be more Christian."

Is humility not a virtue?
Yes, but not the only virtue.
Do you believe that Christians should be humble?
Humble, yes. Neutered, no.
I am not a practicing Christian now - (thanks to experiences with people who were much like the "truthsmackers" around here...)
How convenient to blame fellow Christians. Have fun trying to justify that excuse to God.
I will assume that you say I am "unfamilair" in the sense that I am not a member of your faith,
You assume correctly.
I believe that those who are humble and meek have a better chance of achiving true happiness than those who are prideful and vain. If all of humanity were more humble, the world would be a better place.
So to you, inheriting the earth means happiness on earth. Okay.
:first: Many great points, :lucky:! Well done.

CONTEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.