Turbo's pick 4-12-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On whether "the disciple whom Jesus loved" was John the apostle or Mary Magdalene:

Originally posted by Melody

Jhn 13:23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
Jhn 13:24 Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
Jhn 13:25 He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
Jhn 13:26 Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped [it]. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave [it] to Judas Iscariot, [the son] of Simon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on now, do you really think that John was not at the last supper? And the masculine gender is used several times. Also there is no indications that any women were there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jhn 19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
Jhn 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own [home].
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, masculine gender.
John has written more details concerning the passion week than any of the others, indicating a more personal "eye witness" experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jhn 20:1 The first [day] of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Jhn 20:2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

Now, Mary Magdelene is coming to tell Peter and "herself"?

This disciple is indicated again and again as male gender.

Jhn 21:7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt [his] fisher's coat [unto him], (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

Which makes more sense, John on the boat with a bunch of naked men or Mary.

Again and again the masculine gender is noted.

Jhn 21:20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
Jhn 21:21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what [shall] this man [do]?
Jhn 21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what [is that] to thee? follow thou me.
Jhn 21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what [is that] to thee?
Jhn 21:24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.

These are the five times the disciple whom Jesus loved is mentioned.

The only time this expression is used in the gospel is in the Book of John. And this detail of Jesus indicating Judas as the one who would betrayed him is also unique to John's gospel indicating his personal knowledge.

John 21:24 tells us that John himself is this loved disciple because he wrote these things.

Excellent post, Melody! :first:

[CONTEXT]

Status
Not open for further replies.