Turbo's pick 2-5-04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jhodgeiii

As a creationist, I remember having to debate evolution over creationism in my college philosophy class. I even had to write pursuasive papers on such in the same class. Embarrassingly, my papers were so well written that the openly-atheist professor used my papers as an example to the entire class--without my permission of course. It still somewhat bugs me that my name is attached to that paper someplace.

I was proud of the excellent grade, but felt awful in the end because I did an excellent job arguing for something contradictory to a deeply held belief of mine for the entire class (and possibly others) to witness.

Although I understand the logic of some of the preceding arguments (like why one should be able to argue advocatus diaboli), it seems to me that a person of good character would have his limits playing this role given certain extreme, moral topics, especially those involving life and death, guilt and innocence.

My hat goes off to the California Baptist University debate team. If you get too many Christians publicly arguing against their own values, who knows? Christians might end up laying the foundation for gay marriage some day!
:first:
CONTEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.