Trinity verse or just Christ?

Derf

So Jesus is the one who is, and who was, and who is to come?
I was wondering if it meant who is to come to earth.
If a Hebrewism just emphasizing that the grace is from Jesus, then vs 8 associates Him clearly with the term "the Almighty". That's not an unusual position, as the translation of the KJV I got the following from had it in red letters:
Revelation 1:8 KJV — I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Which it seems is also a partial trinity verse, then.

But here's the phrase one more time, seemingly referring specifically to God the Father, making me question the chap 1 associations:
Revelation 4:8 KJV — And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

And in this verse, if it's about the Father and not about Jesus, then "who/which is to come" is more about the subject's dominion over time than about coming to earth. It repeats the words "Lord" and "Almighty" from 1:8, adds "God", and the description is undoubtedly of the Father, since the Lamb (Christ Jesus, assuredly) comes to Him to take the scroll in ch 5.
Revelation 5:6-7 KJV — And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

Gary K

Banned
I was wondering if it meant who is to come to earth.

If a Hebrewism just emphasizing that the grace is from Jesus, then vs 8 associates Him clearly with the term "the Almighty". That's not an unusual position, as the translation of the KJV I got the following from had it in red letters:
Revelation 1:8 KJV — I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Which it seems is also a partial trinity verse, then.

But here's the phrase one more time, seemingly referring specifically to God the Father, making me question the chap 1 associations:
Revelation 4:8 KJV — And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

And in this verse, if it's about the Father and not about Jesus, then "who/which is to come" is more about the subject's dominion over time than about coming to earth. It repeats the words "Lord" and "Almighty" from 1:8, adds "God", and the description is undoubtedly of the Father, since the Lamb (Christ Jesus, assuredly) comes to Him to take the scroll in ch 5.
Revelation 5:6-7 KJV — And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
I would just point out that Jesus is Lord God Almighty.

Isaiah tells us the following:

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Derf

I would just point out that Jesus is Lord God Almighty.

Isaiah tells us the following:
Yes, I agree. But the question was about whether the three persons of the trinity were in view. It seems to me that the writer of Revelation would maintain some separation between the three, and he does, I think.

Gary K

Banned
Yes, I agree. But the question was about whether the three persons of the trinity were in view. It seems to me that the writer of Revelation would maintain some separation between the three, and he does, I think.
My understanding of the four elders is that they do not represent any of the Godhead but don't expect me to explain it to you off the top of my head as I have not studied this in depth.

Derf

My understanding of the four elders is that they do not represent any of the Godhead but don't expect me to explain it to you off the top of my head as I have not studied this in depth.
I don't think the elders in any way represent the Godhead. But they are sitting around the great throne, on which sits the Father, who is called
"Who is, and who was, and who is to come."

Gary K

Banned
I don't think the elders in any way represent the Godhead. But they are sitting around the great throne, on which sits the Father, who is called
"Who is, and who was, and who is to come."
All I can do is point you to obvious scripture.

Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

Jesus is the Lamb.

Derf

All I can do is point you to obvious scripture.

Jesus is the Lamb.
Absolutely...Who goes to the throne and takes the scroll from the one sitting on the throne.
Revelation 5:7 KJV — And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

Thus, the Lamb is not the one sitting on the throne, even if He is one with the one sitting on the throne.

Gary K

Banned
Absolutely...Who goes to the throne and takes the scroll from the one sitting on the throne.
Revelation 5:7 KJV — And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.

Thus, the Lamb is not the one sitting on the throne, even if He is one with the one sitting on the throne.
But Revelation is a book that isn't written sequentially. The seven trumpets and the seven seals are speaking of the same events yet are found in different chapters. To me that says the other verse you quoted could very well be speaking of Jesus. I'm not telling I think you are definitely wrong in your assumption there. I simply don't know enough to be sure.

Derf

But Revelation is a book that isn't written sequentially. The seven trumpets and the seven seals are speaking of the same events yet are found in different chapters. To me that says the other verse you quoted could very well be speaking of Jesus. I'm not telling I think you are definitely wrong in your assumption there. I simply don't know enough to be sure.
Good point. The association of the same term for different persons in the Godhead in different sections might be intended to show the unity of substance and diversity of persons.