ECT To whom were the Gospels written ?

Right Divider

Body part
There really was no Church during the Lord's earthly ministry since the Holy Spirit was not given until Pentecost anyway.
There was always a "church" since Moses' day. Stephen refers to it in Acts 7:38

This was my point, "church" does NOT have a singular solitary meaning.

And the Gospels (why do you quote this? and then give me grief for capitalizing Resurrection? :think:) weren't written until after the giving of the Spirit, so the Gospels were written to the Church.
The "Gospels" (I assume that you're talking about Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) are written from the perspective of the nation of Israel and their relationship with their kinsmen, the Lord Jesus Christ.

:juggle:

Is it sillier to capitalize the most important event that's ever happened in human history, or to criticize me capitalizing Resurrection? :idunno:
Then you should make it ALL CAPS and in a LARGER FONT and BOLD.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
There was always a "church" since Moses' day. Stephen refers to it in Acts 7:38
Very literally though RD, there was no church of any sort or kind until there was English Sacred Scripture, and in the English Bible, the first mention of Church is in the "Apocrypha," those seven books of the Christian Bible originally written in Greek, that preceded chronologically the earliest New Testament book by over 100 years, detailing some of the history between the Old and New Testaments, and including some wisdom literature.
This was my point, "church" does NOT have a singular solitary meaning.
Right, it's a homonym. I capitalize Church when I mean "the Body of Christ," unless it's qualified by something like "Catholic." Context makes it clear, when I capitalize Church.
The "Gospels" (I assume that you're talking about Matthew, Mark, Luke and John)
You're the one who wraps "Gospels" in quotes, not me---that's what I assume that you mean! :chuckle:
are written from the perspective of the nation of Israel and their relationship with their kinsmen, the Lord Jesus Christ.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The way things went down is that people heard about the Lord Jesus Christ rising from the dead on the third day, and there was not one, not two, not three, but four distinct Gospel accounts written, for the sake of the Church, and for anybody who wanted to know more about this blessed and glorious event, and the immediate circumstances surrounding it. That's how it went down, that's why we have four of them, when if we just had one we'd be rich, we have four, so that we are seriously and prohibitively filthy rich with historically contemporary and accurate testimony concerning what led up to Matthew 28:6 (KJV), Mark 16:6 (KJV), and Luke 24:6 (KJV): He is risen.
:juggle:

Then you should make it ALL CAPS and in a LARGER FONT and BOLD.
You're right.

Right Divider

Body part
Very literally though RD, there was no church of any sort or kind until there was English Sacred Scripture, and in the English Bible, the first mention of Church is in the "Apocrypha," those seven books of the Christian Bible originally written in Greek, that preceded chronologically the earliest New Testament book by over 100 years, detailing some of the history between the Old and New Testaments, and including some wisdom literature.
Wow, that's a lot of hot air. Do you have a balloon?

Stephen, the Holy Spirit filled preacher of Acts 7, says that there was a "church in the wilderness". That church is Israel.

Apparently you don't know that there are words in the Hebrew scripture that also have the same meaning.

Right, it's a homonym. I capitalize Church when I mean "the Body of Christ," unless it's qualified by something like "Catholic." Context makes it clear, when I capitalize Church.
So you're trying to steal the word for church and capitalize it to get it to means what you want it to mean. It doesn't work that way.

You're the one who wraps "Gospels" in quotes, not me---that's what I assume that you mean! :chuckle:
I have no idea what you're talking about. The way things went down is that people heard about the Lord Jesus Christ rising from the dead on the third day, and there was not one, not two, not three, but four distinct Gospel accounts written, for the sake of the Church, and for anybody who wanted to know more about this blessed and glorious event, and the immediate circumstances surrounding it. That's how it went down, that's why we have four of them, when if we just had one we'd be rich, we have four, so that we are seriously and prohibitively filthy rich with historically contemporary and accurate testimony concerning what led up to Matthew 28:6 (KJV), Mark 16:6 (KJV), and Luke 24:6 (KJV): He is risen.
You're hopeless. ~98% of MML&J are before Christ died. He was a minister of the circumcision (Rom 15:8 KJV). You should learn about it.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Wow, that's a lot of hot air. Do you have a balloon?
Yup.
Stephen, the Holy Spirit filled preacher of Acts 7, says that there was a "church in the wilderness". That church is Israel.
Oh.
Apparently you don't know that there are words in the Hebrew scripture that also have the same meaning.
Oh.
So you're trying to steal the word for church and capitalize it to get it to means what you want it to mean. It doesn't work that way.
Yeah, I'm trying to steal the word Church . . . even though it belongs to the Church---that makes sense. :dizzy:
You're hopeless. ~98% of MML&J are before Christ died. He was a minister of the circumcision (Rom 15:8 KJV). You should learn about it.
:idunno: You're hopeless.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
So you are learning what the scripture says. That's good.

Your lack of understanding is astounding.

You continue to prove that it is you that is confused and your "understanding" is hopeless.
Bluffs. All bluffs. You've got nuthin.' I call. You're all-in, and I call. Show us your hand. How do I not understand, lay it out, and be specific.

You've got nothing. I call your bluff.

Right Divider

Body part
I already did.
So why do you insist that one "church" should be written as "Church" in your posts?
Is the church in the wilderness a lesser church?
Why the insistence on the capitalization of some words which are not capitalized in the Word of God?