ECT Theology of Death

Nang

TOL Subscriber
What are the latest thoughts on the Christian theology of death? Aton

The formal teaching about death is the doctrine called "Total Depravity."

This doctrine teaches the reason for all death, is the original sin committed by the first created man, Adam. His disobedience to God brought sin and death into this world. Romans 5:12

Since Adam represented and produced the entire human race, all men born since inherit Adam's corrupted human nature and therefore, earn the same imputation of guilt for falling short of the glory (will) of God.

There is no person righteous in the eyes of God; not one. All mankind deserves to die under God's holy and moral standards (Law). Read Romans 3:10-19

The only remedy and escape from this death sentence, comes by faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God sent by God into the world, to suffer the death sentence of His brethren. He substitutionally died in their stead, so that they might be justified (forgiven) by God, and spiritually renewed to never die again. See John 11:25-26

Jesus made this promise and raised Himself from death, to assure us the truth of this covenant and the reality of everlasting life to come for those who believe His words.

JAGG

For starters, we have this:
"I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

“Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

I Cor. 15:50-57