The Word of Truth

heir

TOL Subscriber
I wrote this some time ago, but since I've recently opened a thread about 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV I thought I'd blog it! Happy studying the approved unto God way! :)

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The word of truth that we are to study to show ourselves approved unto God as workman that needeth not to be ashamed by rightly dividing is specific. It is the gospel of your salvation!

Ephesians 1:13 KJV In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

It (the gospel of Christ 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Romans 1:16-17 KJV although no longer to the Jew first and also to the Greek, but to all men 1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV, Titus 2:11 KJV).

So what does Paul mean when he writes to rightly divide it? First of all, there's more than one gospel in your Bible. If you don't separate out the gospel that is "the gospel of YOUR salvation" as mentioned in Ephesians 1:13 KJV above, from others, you could be believing the wrong gospel that is not the gospel that is the power of God to save you in the dispensation of the grace of God.

For example, you could think that your gospel (good news) is that you need to be water baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38 KJV), sell all that you have (Matthew 19:21 KJV, Acts 2:45 KJV), endure to the end to be saved (Matthew 24:13 KJV) wait for the times of refreshing that shall come from the presence of the Lord (the second coming) that your sins may be blotted out (Acts 3:19-21 KJV). But, that's NOT your gospel (good news)! It's not the gospel of YOUR salvation, the power of God to save you today!

The gospel that is the power of God to save you is the gospel of Christ; how that Christ died for our sins and that He was buried and was raised again the third day (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV)! It was given by revelation of Jesus Christ to the apostle Paul (Galatians 1:11-12 KJV) to usward (Romans 11:13 KJV). Paul was given the dispensation of the grace of God for YOU gentiles (Ephesians 3:1 KJV). Paul was given the form of sound words that we are to hold fast to today (2 Timothy 1:13 KJV). That would be Romans through Philemon.
Our good news must be divided out from other good news in the Bible. Failure or flat out refusal to rightly divide the word of truth causes nothing, but confusion and will most certainly cause you to lose reward at the judgment seat of Christ (1 Corinthians 3:10-15 KJV).

2 Timothy 2:15 KJV Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Also, we need to rightly divide the word of truth in Paul's epistles. For example, there was a time that certain Gentiles (called Greeks in a KJB) had ordinances to keep so as not to offend the Jews, but then in Paul's later epistles when writing to the alien gentile, who Paul was a prisoner of Jesus Christ for-people like you and me (Ephesians 2:11-12 KJV), you can eat anything (Ephesians 2:14-16 KJV, Colossians 2:14-16 KJV).