The Wonderful Dispensation of Grace

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Damion wrote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hill

Damian,

That is a very good question. Especially since Peter said in Acts 2:38 Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

We understand that they were in a different dispensation. God didn't start the Dispensation of Grace until He raised up Saul/Paul to be the Apostle to recieve the new program.

Bob Hill

Yes. But this doesn't answer why nondispensationalists refuse to acknowedge that Mark 16:15,16 teaches that belief and baptism are required for salvation. Isn't it because Mark 16:15,16 doesn't fit into their preconceived theology?

Damion, that's there problem, not mine. A lot of excellent biblical theologians do not answer some of these difficult problems. I can understand that. I have had to really study thousands of problems, and I haven't found the answer that satisfies me completely on all of them.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
godrulz,

This was a good explanation. Thanks!

MAD is Mid-Acts dispensationalism, I think. Why not ask its proponents? It sees Paul's conversion and ministry as pivotal in introducing the gospel of grace for the Church Age. It has two NT gospels: the circumcision gospel to those of Jewish background preached by Peter, James, John, etc. and the uncircumcision gospel for the Gentiles preached by Paul. The former is faith + works + baptism, etc. The latter is grace/faith alone. Someone else could summarize it better.

Bob

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
God raised up the Apostle Paul and gave him a different gospel in a new dispensation from the dispensation that Peter and the rest of the eleven, who preached the gospel of the circumcision, were in.

Paul was given a dispensation that was a mystery, never revealed before, the Dispensation of Grace.

1 Cor 9:17-18 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a dispensation. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

Eph 3:1-4 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles; 2 if indeed you have heard of the Dispensation of the Grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

We find in Acts 15 that Paul went up to Jerusalem to tell them about the new gospel that God gave to him according to Gal 1:11-2:10. The Holy Spirit showed the apostles that Paul’s gospel was valid at that council.

Eph 1:5-10 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 [Here’s the mystery which was never made before God raised up the Apostle Paul.] that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, 7 of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. 8 To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make all see what is the Dispensation of the Mystery, which has been hidden from the ages in God who created all things through Jesus Christ. 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one, the all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth - in Him.

This gospel that was given to Paul was a different gospel from anything before. That’s what the Galatian material is all about: Gal 2:7-9 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision had been committed to me, as the gospel of the circumcision was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for [eis] the apostleship of the circumcision also worked effectively in me toward [eis] the Gentiles), 9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to [eis] the Gentiles and they to [eis] the circumcision.

Paul was faithful to this new program that God gave him. It tells us of his faithfulness in Col 1:24-29: I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, 25 of which I became a minister according to the dispensation of God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, 26 the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. 27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. 29 To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
The Bible says that we are in the dispensation of the grace of God in Eph 3:2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you.

According to Eph 1:3, we see that God wants to pour out spiritual blessings on us Christians.

As Christians, we see that these blessings are accomplished by the Father. Eph 1:3 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.”

But, it goes further. God chose us, corporately, that is, anyone who trusts Christ in this present Dispensation of Grace will be saved because of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross.

Eph 1:4 “in as much as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world.” What does “chose,” mean?

This word in the Greek can be translated I select, or I choose. So the first thing we should know, is Jesus Christ is the selected one. Christ is the one in and by whom the Father accomplishes His blessings.

Isaiah 42:1 prophesied: “Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.” Christ was chosen to be the redeemer, not just for Israel, but also for Gentiles.

The body of Christ was a mystery, hidden in God until He revealed it to the Apostle Paul. Eph 3:1-9 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles - 2 if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and mutual partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, 7 of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. 8 To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make all see what is the dispensation of the mystery, which has been hidden from the ages in God who created all things through Jesus Christ.

Safe in Christ,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Colossians shows us that we have a new body of believers in this Dispensation of Grace: Col 1:24-27 I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions for Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, 25&26 of which I became a minister according to the dispensation of God which was given to me for you, to complete the word of God, the mystery, which has been hidden from the ages and from the generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. 27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ among you, the hope of glory.

Then we see the whole passage of Eph 1:3-14, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth--in Him. 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

When we look at it more closely, I believe the election of men is only in Christ. When a person yields to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and believes that Christ died for him, then, he becomes a member of Christ’s body, the church. Outside of Christ, according to the Bible, there is no election of anyone. In Eph 1:4, God chose us in Christ. In verse 5, God gave the predestinated adoption to us. In verse 11, God definitely showed that we are inheritors in Christ. In verse 13, God sealed us in Christ. Therefore, we see love and blessings here, not fatalism.

So, we are chosen and sealed because we believed in Christ.
Eph 1:4,12,13 “just as He chose us in Him 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise.”

He didn’t choose us to be saved. He wants all to be saved.
1 Tim 2:3-6 “For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who wills all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.”

He chose us, who believe, to be holy and blameless. Eph 1:4 “He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blame before Him in love.” He chose everyone who would believe in Christ to be holy and blameless.

Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
Christ paid with His life. He made it certain with predestination.
Eph 1:5 “having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will.

He did all this by His grace.
Eph 1:6 “to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.

So, God’s election is not to salvation. It is to perfection because we are in Christ. It is for our eternal security. We who trust in Christ as our Savior have this security. This is a spiritual blessing for the body of Christ alone.

In Christ my Savior,
Bob Hill

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
What is God’s will? I believe we can break God’s will down into 3 scriptural categories. His intentional will (thelayma), His circumstantial will (thelayma), and His ultimate, or determinate will or counsel (boulay).

When we look at His intentional will, the first thing we should see is this. We were created for His will (pleasure). The question we must keep in mind here, is: Do we ever thwart God’s intentional will?
Rev 4:11 “You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created.”

Next, as part of this, He wants us all to love Him.
Mk 12:30,31 “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.”
1 Co 16:22 “If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. O Lord, come! Then, He wants us all to love one another.”
John 13:34 “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.”
1 Th 4:9,10 “But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; 10 and indeed you do so toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, that you increase more and more.

Remember the question? What is God’s will? We must keep this in mind: do we ever thwart God’s intentional will?

For instance, we see that He wills all to be saved. 1 Tim 2:4 “who wills all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”

But, because man totally rebelled against God, in order to receive salvation, man must believe God and do what He says for salvation. For us in this dispensation of grace, His will is found in Acts 16:31, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.”

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Damian

godrulz said:
MAD is Mid-Acts dispensationalism, I think. Why not ask its proponents? It sees Paul's conversion and ministry as pivotal in introducing the gospel of grace for the Church Age. It has two NT gospels: the circumcision gospel to those of Jewish background preached by Peter, James, John, etc. and the uncircumcision gospel for the Gentiles preached by Paul. The former is faith + works + baptism, etc. The latter is grace/faith alone. Someone else could summarize it better.

The usual Acts 2 dispensational view sees Pentecost as the birth of the Church by the Holy Spirit. The person and work of Christ were preached and Jew and Gentile were becoming one in Christ. There were some bumps on the road during this transitional period, but grace/faith did not have to wait for Paul. Paul had a unique ministry to the Gentiles, but it was not a different gospel than was started to be preached before his conversion.

Okay. Yours is the traditional view.

And the traditional view accepts baptism as a requirement. Jesus teaches that belief and baptism are required for salvatrion in Mark 16:15,16.

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:15,16

Also, Paul implies that baptism is required in Galatians 3.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:27-28

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Damian said:

And the traditional view accepts baptism as a requirement. Jesus teaches that belief and baptism are required for salvatrion in Mark 16:15,16.

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Most adherents of biblical Christianity reject baptismal regeneration in any form. I do not consider Roman Catholics identical to evangelical Christians. The baptism in Gal. 3 is not water baptism. We are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the Body of Christ through faith, not baptism.

I gave a reasonable explanation for Mk. 16. You reject it to convince yourself that yours is the only possible view. Oh well.

Remember my simple illustration? He who believes and reads the Bible and goes to church is saved. Faith, not the other things, are what saves us. The early church normatively linked internal faith with an external witness to men. Neither OT circumcision nor NT baptism can save. External rituals cannot save. If they could, we have a significant contradiction with the weight of evidence of many more explicit texts. The Bible does not contradict itself. It contradicts your imperfect understanding of it.

Jn. 3:16, 36; 1;12; Rom. 1:16; I Jn. 5:11-13, Rom. 4; 5, Eph. 2:8-10, etc. stand alone. Why not quote them as proof texts. They reveal the true condition of salvation with no mention of water baptism! Faith vs unbelief, not wet or dry...get it?

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
In addition to godrulz's statement, the passages that Paul wrote do not have the water baptism that is necessary for salvation, and appears in John's, Matthew's, Mark's, and Luke's gospels.

Today, in the Dispensation of Grace, there is no water baptism.

Bob Hill

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Bob Hill said:
In addition to godrulz's statement, the passages that Paul wrote do not have the water baptism that is necessary for salvation, and appears in John's, Matthew's, Mark's, and Luke's gospels.

Today, in the Dispensation of Grace, there is no water baptism.

Bob Hill

Paul was baptized and he did baptize some, though he often left it to other leaders. He did not believe it was necessary for salvation. The gospels do not have NT believer's baptism. This was not practiced until after the death and resurrection of Christ in Acts. The Great Commission did have it as part of discipleship and obeying everything He taught, but not as a condition of salvation (baptismal regeneration is unbiblical in all dispensations).

Neither Jesus, Peter, John, James, or Paul ever made it a condition of salvation (Jn. 3:16, 36...right?). The few proof texts used for the Catholic/Reformed doctrine have alternate understandings in light of all of Scripture.

I respectfully disagree with the Mid-Acts explanation.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
lightninboy said:
Dear Lighthouse,

Thank you for your reply.

So you did mean that Jews were saved by grace and not law after the Resurrection or Pentecost.
After they accepted that Jesus was Lord and Savior. The 12 were most likely saved after the Resurrection, before Pentecost. But it wasn't until after Pentecost that they preached the New Covenant. So, the Jews were not saved until after Pentecost.

I know that Jesus and the Father are one, but where did Jesus tell them to keep the Law?
Jesus preached the law the entire three years of His earthly ministry.

You said no one could keep the law perfectly and salvation is by grace alone.

Then obviously salvation in every Dispensation must be by grace alone.
Salvation is. But certain things are requirements to show yourself as a part of those who are His, in certain dispensations. In the dispensation prior, and after, this one, the law must be kept. It is a requirement of the Bride of Christ. But none of them are saved by it.

You said:
The dispensation of grace [alone] started when Paul started preaching it. And Jews could be included. Paul said so, when he stated that there were no differences between Jew and Gentile in the Body. The dispensation of grace [alone] started when Paul started preaching it. And Jews could be included. Paul said so, when he stated that there were no differences between Jew and Gentile in the Body.

So the living Jews could drop keeping the law and still be saved, or did they have to keep the law until they died like Clete said?
It depends on when they converted, and under whose ministry.

You started a new Dispensation between Acts 2 and Acts 9?
No.

Bob Hill says the Jews of the Circumcision were under the Dispensation of Law. Wasn’t salvation by grace alone under the whole Dispensation of Law?
Salvation was, yes. But the law was still to be upheld and honored.

The Gentiles in the Great Tribulation will have to become proselyte Jews to be saved?
Yes.

If someone in the Great Tribulation found a Bible and believed for everlasting life, he wouldn’t be saved?
If he wanted to be saved he would have to find someone who could lead him to the One Who saves.

Why not keep sacrificing? Revelation says something about the Temple and sacrifice?
Christ was the final sacrafice.

If you believe salvation is always by grace and not law/works, is that really different from Acts 2 Dispensationalism?
No. Because they still kept the law, and were required to. They just weren't saved by it.

Acts 2 Dispensationalism can teach salvation by grace through faith too.
No they can't. They can say they do, but in the end they teach the complete opposite.

Damian

godrulz said:
Most adherents of biblical Christianity reject baptismal regeneration in any form. I do not consider Roman Catholics identical to evangelical Christians. The baptism in Gal. 3 is not water baptism. We are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the Body of Christ through faith, not baptism.

Most adherents of biblical Christianity do not reject baptism as a requirement for salvation. Catholicism (Roman Catholicism is a misnomer) is not only the largest denomination in Christianity, it is the largest organzied religion in the world. And not only Catholicism teaches baptism, but also Eastern Orthodox, Lutheranism, and Anglicanism. And there are many other Protestant denomination that do too (e.g. Church of Christ).
Add to this, that there are dispensational evangelicals on this very thread that believe that Mark 16:15,16 teaches that both faith and baptism are required for the salvation of the circumcision and your assertion that "most adherents of biblical Christianity reject baptism as a srquirement for salvation" is patently false.

Please provide biblical support that Galatians 3:27, 28 does not refer to water baptism. Of course, those who believe in water baptism believe that it also entails the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ himself received water baptism and simultaneously received the baptism in the Holy Spirit. Remember how the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus in the form of a dove?

godrulz said:
I gave a reasonable explanation for Mk. 16. You reject it to convince yourself that yours is the only possible view. Oh well.

No you didn't. You simply disregarded it. You are insulting my intelligence by insisting that Jesus did not teach that "belief and water baptism" are required for salvation. And even if you find biblical support in other verses that teach that baptism is not required, it does not negate the fact that Mark 16:15,16 teaches it. Failure to account for this verse is proof positive that you really do not believe the Bible is infallible. So I would kindly ask you to stop asserting that you do believe the Bible to be infallible.You cannot say that you believe the Bible is infallible and then disregard Mark 16:15,16. This is intellectual dishonesty.

godrulz said:
Remember my simple illustration? He who believes and reads the Bible and goes to church is saved. Faith, not the other things, are what saves us. The early church normatively linked internal faith with an external witness to men. Neither OT circumcision nor NT baptism can save. External rituals cannot save. If they could, we have a significant contradiction with the weight of evidence of many more explicit texts. The Bible does not contradict itself. It contradicts your imperfect understanding of it.

External rituals cannot save? I believe the Jews demonstrated his faith by practicing circumcision in the Old Testament. I believe Abraham demonstrated his faith by taking his son on top of Mt. Moriah to sacrifice him. These are not external acts?

godrulz said:
Jn. 3:16, 36; 1;12; Rom. 1:16; I Jn. 5:11-13, Rom. 4; 5, Eph. 2:8-10, etc. stand alone. Why not quote them as proof texts. They reveal the true condition of salvation with no mention of water baptism! Faith vs unbelief, not wet or dry...get it?

Why should I disregard Mark 16:15,16? Besides you believe in "conditional security." This implies that a believer can lose his salvation. Therefore, if a believer is commanded to be baptized and fails to do so, won't he lose his salvation? According to your own belief in conditional security, baptism is required to be saved.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Damian said:

Do you really think Paul was referring to water baptism when he worte that?

lightninboy

Okay, Damian, maybe baptismal regeneration is more rampant in mainstream Christianity than I said it was, but that wouldn't make it right.

It would be nice if someone would post a link comparing denominations on baptism.

So...what church were you baptized in? Was it as an infant? Was it by immersion?

Do you believe in the substitutionary atonement?

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
When I look at the plan of God’s requirement of baptism, I have to start at the beginning of the gospel, “the beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ (Mk 1:1), the Son of David, the Son of Abraham” (Mat 1:1). I believe the gospel of Jesus Christ was the long awaited good news which specially belonged to the circumcision, Israel. What was the good news of the circumcision? The Messiah has come! The kingdom will be restored to Israel.

All the promises had the potential fulfillment in Christ. When Christ was born, the angel announced, “He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end” (Lk 1:32,33).

Right from the start of John’s ministry, this “kingdom of God has been preached” (Lk 16:16).

What kingdom? It was the kingdom promised to David in 2 Sa 7:12-17 “When your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his Father, and he shall be My son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men. 15 But My mercy shall not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 And your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you. Your throne shall be established forever.” 17 According to all these words and according to all this vision, so Nathan spoke to David.

Bob Hill

Damian

lightninboy said:
Okay, Damian, maybe baptismal regeneration is more rampant in mainstream Christianity than I said it was, but that wouldn't make it right.

It would be nice if someone would post a link comparing denominations on baptism.

So...what church were you baptized in? Was it as an infant? Was it by immersion?

Do you believe in the substitutionary atonement?

I was baptized as a Catholic. But I am not arguing for infant baptism here. I am simply pointing out verses in the Bible that refer to baptism. If you profess to believe that the Bible to be the inerrant, infallible word of God, then I expect you to fully account for these verses.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
John’s father was inspired to say in Luke 1:68,69,72-77, “Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, for He has visited and redeemed His people, 69 and has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David . . . 72 to perform the mercy promised to our fathers and to remember His holy covenant, 73 the oath which He swore to our father Abraham: [The seed promise.] 74 to grant us that we, being delivered from the hand of our enemies, might serve Him without fear, 75 in holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life. 76 And you, child . . . will go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways, 77 to give knowledge of salvation to His people by the remission of their sins.

The Davidic promise is the essence of the kingdom which will be established by God. I believe it is referred to as the kingdom of God because He will establish it.

The people were expecting the Messiah and His kingdom (Lk 3:15). The kingdom was at hand because the King was present. John’s commission was to “prepare the way of the Lord” (Lk 3:4) and all flesh shall see the salvation of God. (Lk 3:6).

The kingdom promises would be fulfilled by the one heralded by John. Even just shortly before His Ascension, the apostles were expecting the Davidic kingdom to be restored to Israel. Acts 1:6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”

John’s ministry centered around the baptism of repentance. He was calling the nation back into the covenant relationship with God which they had forsaken. He was basing his message on the principles of repentance contained in Jeremiah 18 and Ezekiel 18. He was preparing them to be a kingdom of priests. Apparently, the whole nation would be priests not just the Levites. Ex 19:3-6 And Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 4 ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself. 5 ‘Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 ‘And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.”

The gospel of the circumcision had the solid undergirding of the covenant of circumcision. The conditional characteristics of the gospel rested firmly upon the similar conditions of the covenant: Lk 3:11-14 He answered and said to them, “He who has two tunics, let him give to him who has none; and he who has food, let him do likewise.” 12 Then tax collectors also came to be baptized, and said to him, “Teacher, what shall we do?” 13 And he said to them, “Collect no more than what is appointed for you.” 14 Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?” So he said to them, “Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.”

Later, James would write the same kind of conditions that John expressed in Matthew 3:10 and Luke 3:19, “and even now the ax is laid to the root of the tree. Therefore every tree which does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.” “Faith without works is dead” Jam 2:14-26 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe - and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? 26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Bob Hill

lightninboy

You claim to be a Christian but you don't believe in the substitutionary atonement and you claim baptism is necessary for salvation but you were sprinkled as an infant in the Catholic church? Are you a walking paradox?