The Theory of God's [lack of] Omniscience

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Ninjashadow,
You said
I would say that God was not caught off guard, but sort of gave people an out. For instance, He said one thing would happen, but if someone did something, something else would happen. It sounds like He changed His mind, but in reality, being the divine and all good God that he is, he allowed people to change what was going to happen.
You sort of still sound like a closed theist. Your strongest argument served to show how it was that God really did not change His mind. You should understand that the vast majority of closed theists, even while arguing against open theism, sound almost exactly like what you said.

I recommend that you do not contrast against God changing His mind, but rather accentuate that fact. God does indeed change His mind, and once you help someone see that much, then the idea that He has exhaustive foreknowledge is a contradiction in terms. You can never change your mind if you already know everything that will ever happen.

Maybe it was you who suggested that God could know in advance about changing His mind. (Chuckles) That is a contradictory idea. The only reason that you change your mind and not do what you said or thought you were going to do, is exactly because you did not absolutely know what you were going to do, and thus when things changed, so did your plans.

Plainly, if you knew all along what the exact end result would be, then you would always truthfully say that that was what you were going to do, and since God is a faithful and unlying, it would be a lie to say otherwise. You can never change your mind about anything if you absolutely know what you will do. And God does not just say that He changed His mind, He demonstrates that fact by reversing some prophesies.

Blessings

1Way

Balder,
You said
Before setting Creation in motion, and before creating the Lake of Fire for Satan and his angels, do you think that God knew that the majority of humankind would end up there, even if He didn't know how many or exactly whom?
That is a great question, but one that is not easily answered as I believe depending upon the reason for, and the intent of, the question. I don't think that God is surprised by the fact that most hate Him, but at the same time, God created this universe and said it is good! I believe that God would have been happy to let Adam and Eve live in wonderful commune with God prior to them sinning. It seems to me that it is possible that they could have kept from sinning for a long time, but they didn't, so such a thing is speculation on my part.

More certainly in my mind is that God knew that in the end, He would permanently keep those who love God away from the harm that evil brings.

I really enjoy the whole freedom issue and it's relationship with authentic godly and loving relationships. In a nutshell, if God wanted to stack the odds in favor of human's loving Him, then to that exact same extent, I believe God would have been guilty of being a bit ego centric and wanting to control others so that He can be loved by more people. This idea lends more to the idea that God is frail and susceptible to popularity issues.

However my understanding of love is always a part of a freewill choice. And man's nature is far from the perfection that God is. The freedom to reject one's offer of love makes acceptance that much more precious and meaningful.

Evil is dangerous, destructive, and leads to death, and God doesn't want that for His own household, so it's only fitting that God would separate and vanquish evil from His household.

Put in the most basic terms, a father who loves his family would never willingly let some evil person harm his loved ones. Therefore, God permanently separates evil people from His people because He loves and honors those who trust in Him and God rejects those who reject Him. Justice and goodness and love and reason would have it no other way (as far as I can tell).

Balder

Hi, 1Way,

I don't intend to go on too much of a tangent, but just going on what Clete wrote above (about God thinking it's "worth it" to risk losing all humanity to hellfire), and also on what you said above, I would like to ask if you think God "planned" from the beginning for a portion of His creation to be cast into a place of eternal and inescapable suffering. While this could just be another "Is Hell fair?" question, I ask it in relation to the notion of God's omnipotence. If God is not totally omniscient (meaning knowing the outcome of all free will decisions beforehand), is it possible that He also isn't totally omnipotent? Or is it that for some reason He really wanted to make the Lake of Fire and to put some people there? Because if God is all-powerful, there are a lot of things He could have done to protect His people. He could have simply allowed evil people to die and be no more, without resurrecting them in imperishable bodies and then punishing them forever. He could have allowed evil folks to continue to reincarnate until they eventually came around, in a universe separate from the kingdom He is establishing. He could have possibly done other things as well, besides designing and creating a Lake of Fire to imprison and "burn" unbelievers terribly forever. Or ... is it possible He didn't have much of a choice? Are there laws of logic or some other sort of laws that constrain Him and force Him to choose this option?

Peace,
Balder

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by godrulz

Satan appeared in the garden early in human history. My impression was that Lucifer and angels were created before material creation (universe/earth).

How do you deal with Ex. 20:11?
Does it not seem to indicate that Heaven and everything in it was created along with everything else?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

How do you deal with Ex. 20:11?
Does it not seem to indicate that Heaven and everything in it was created along with everything else?

Grammatically, I think it means in 6 days God made the heavens and the earth (Gen. 1), the sea and all that is in the SEA (Hebrew repetition, not a reference that God made everything in the heavens during the 6 days). I would check with a Hebrew scholar on the antecedents and grammar (all that is in it seems to refer to sea, not all of creation, material and immaterial).

We would be speculating or arguing from silence as to when the angels were created (and the fall of Satan). Satan simply shows up in the garden. Gen. 1 is explicit about material creation, not the spiritual angelic realm. Isn't there another verse that implies the angels sang at creation (morning stars?)?? One would think that the Fall of Lucifer would be recorded in Gen. 1-3 if it happened that proximal to the creation of the universe and man.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by godrulz

Grammatically, I think it means in 6 days God made the heavens and the earth (Gen. 1), the sea and all that is in the SEA (Hebrew repetition, not a reference that God made everything in the heavens during the 6 days). I would check with a Hebrew scholar on the antecedents and grammar (all that is in it seems to refer to sea, not all of creation, material and immaterial).
I beleive that those I've read on the issue were very familiar with Biblical languages. I'll check it out.

We would be speculating or arguing from silence as to when the angels were created (and the fall of Satan).
To one degreee or another yes, I agree. Thus dogmatic assertions should not be made.

Satan simply shows up in the garden.
It is interesting to wonder how Satan had access to the Garden of God. Lucifer, prior to falling would have had easy access.

Gen. 1 is explicit about material creation, not the spiritual angelic realm. Isn't there another verse that implies the angels sang at creation (morning stars?)??
I believe there is but it is at least possible that they sang almost immediately after having been created. That is to say, that such a verse doesn't say anything about how long they had existed.

One would think that the Fall of Lucifer would be recorded in Gen. 1-3 if it happened that proximal to the creation of the universe and man.
I beleive it is. It seems to me that whenever we read about Lucifer sinning or the introduction of sin into the world/universe, Gen. 1-3 is where you go to read about it.
I believe there is strong reason to believe that the temptation of Adam and Eve was the very sin that caused the fall of Lucifer. I readily admit, however that "strong reason to believe" is not "proof" and so I wouldn't choose to die on that particular hill or anything.

Resting in Him,
Clete

1Way

Balder,
You said
I don't intend to go on too much of a tangent, but just going on what Clete wrote above (about God thinking it's "worth it" to risk losing all humanity to hellfire), and also on what you said above, I would like to ask if you think God "planned" from the beginning for a portion of His creation to be cast into a place of eternal and inescapable suffering. While this could just be another "Is Hell fair?" question, I ask it in relation to the notion of God's omnipotence. If God is not totally omniscient (meaning knowing the outcome of all free will decisions beforehand), is it possible that He also isn't totally omnipotent? Or is it that for some reason He really wanted to make the Lake of Fire and to put some people there?
  • Another thread
I think you may not realize how many perhaps errant presuppositions you are have in your reasoning. Some of which may not apply to God at all. Seeing how you do not want to delve very deeply, I'm constrained to answer in brief along the highlighted train of thought, but we could start another thread for this tangent if you wish, just let me know.

• Freedom of will
If my presuppositions are correct, then everything that Clete and I have been saying makes perfect sense. True love is a large part of that presupposition. And authentic godly love can not force another to love you back, you have to allow the other the freedom to fully reject you if you want to love them. Now, if you would rather control them like a puppet, then what you end up with is more like God loving God, only He uses puppets to make believe that they actually love Him.

• Authentic love and respect
You can't force anyone to love nor respect you, it's your life investment with interest and caring and time as an expression of your love offering that you hope another will respond favorably to. Some people just do not have enough emotional and social or spiritual stability and maturity to risk rejection, but God who is the ultimate in all things good and right and loving, He can handle it if someone purposes in their heart to hate God instead of love Him.

• Omniscience and Omnipotence
Power, you say? Don't underestimate the power of love and the corruption that control represents when it replaces a freewill response. Murdering or kidnapping rapists thrive on the notion of controlling others just so that they can satisfy their selfish desires. But we know such a violation of a person's free will is a crime, even worthy of being put to death as God commands.

• God became a man to reach mankind
    and to help mankind reach the lost world
  • man reaching man for God in love
I say that the best way for man to turn to God and repent from evil and turn to His righteousness, is through the venue of love that cares to spread the truth of the gospel that we might snatch some souls from out of the fire. So why do you assume that true love needs to have controlling power? Have you ever respected anyone simply because they forced you to respect them? Do you think that the most controlling relationships are the one's that represent the most authentic love? Or do you think that freedom to reject is not only important, but is actually indispensable to true love?
:)

Emo

Originally posted by 1Way

• Freedom of will
If my presuppositions are correct, then everything that Clete and I have been saying makes perfect sense. True love is a large part of that presupposition. And authentic godly love can not force another to love you back, you have to allow the other the freedom to fully reject you if you want to love them. Now, if you would rather control them like a puppet, then what you end up with is more like God loving God, only He uses puppets to make believe that they actually love Him.

• Authentic love and respect
You can't force anyone to love nor respect you, it's your life investment with interest and caring and time as an expression of your love offering that you hope another will respond favorably to. Some people just do not have enough emotional and social or spiritual stability and maturity to risk rejection, but God who is the ultimate in all things good and right and loving, He can handle it if someone purposes in their heart to hate God instead of love Him.

• Omniscience and Omnipotence
Power, you say? Don't underestimate the power of love and the corruption that control represents when it replaces a freewill response. Murdering or kidnapping rapists thrive on the notion of controlling others just so that they can satisfy their selfish desires. But we know such a violation of a person's free will is a crime, even worthy of being put to death as God commands.

• God became a man to reach mankind
    and to help mankind reach the lost world
  • man reaching man for God in love
I say that the best way for man to turn to God and repent from evil and turn to His righteousness, is through the venue of love that cares to spread the truth of the gospel that we might snatch some souls from out of the fire. So why do you assume that true love needs to have controlling power? Have you ever respected anyone simply because they forced you to respect them? Do you think that the most controlling relationships are the one's that represent the most authentic love? Or do you think that freedom to reject is not only important, but is actually indispensable to true love?
:)

:1Way: I have the freedom to love this stuff! :D

:up:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by emohaslove

:1Way: I have the freedom to love this stuff! :D

:up:

Hey! Three smilies in one post! You're getting pretty good at this! :thumb: :D

I agree with you, by the way! 1Way's the man!

Resting in Him,
Clete

1Way

emohaslove,
LOL, what a keen response, and thank you very kindly for your support.

On one hand, it's good to provide a positive learning environment, and to influence others to do and believe the right things. But to make it that ultimately everyone must love God, represents a troubling amount of control that in my view, destroys the notion of authentic love, but instead it looks suspiciously like someone who has serious control issues.

Let freedom ring!!! Love is worth the risk!!! You can't force someone to love you!!!

As to Clete, :eek: what can I say, he's a wonderful brother in Christ. We are fortunate to have him here at TOL.

:think: I wonder what Balder has to say about all this "control verses freedom" stuff...

1Way

Balder,
While I wait for your response. I'm curious, since the Christian faith is centered on the person of Jesus Christ, and you apparently reject Him as your Lord and Savior, so what exactly was it that led you to that outcome?

The way I see it, if you reject Jesus because of who He is, and you understand who He is according to His own word, then you have acted upon your own free will knowing full well what you are doing. But if you have rejected Him because of what others teach, then I have to wonder if errant man has led you astray in some way.

Hmmmm, wait a minuet. If it's ok to force the entire world to love God, then it must be ok for us to force you to believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior. So where do you live so that we might pay you a visit??? :D

Balder

Hi, 1Way,

I'm sorry I let this conversation slip. It's quite a busy time for me right now, personally, and I've also been involved in some discussions on another site.

I agree with you that love that is forced or controlled is not love. But if someone tells you, "I have built a furnace. If you do not love me, on my own terms, I am going to throw you in it," how is that not exhibiting force or control? Isn't that the ultimate control? Love me, and proclaim my son king over your life, or I will put you into a place I've made where you will suffer unimaginably forever. If a man made a marriage proposal to a woman on those terms, don't you think she would feel a little coercion?

I expect several sorts of objections to my observations here, and of course I am willing to discuss them, debate them, and learn something new. I would love to be proved wrong about this, actually, because I just think it's a horrible worldview and I would love to be convinced that the implications of the popular Christian worldview are nothing like this. But in my experience, they are. No Christian openly confesses these things, but in the things they take for granted, they're actually built in and sitting in the background. Because God set up the whole show: he built the Lake of Fire himself, and one way or another, he will sustain those who reject him in a condition of unending conscious torment forever. He could have done things a different way, and for whatever reason, he didn't.

Peace,

Balder

P.S. I live in California, if you can find me among all the other nuts here!

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Balder

I agree with you that love that is forced or controlled is not love. But if someone tells you, "I have built a furnace. If you do not love me, on my own terms, I am going to throw you in it," how is that not exhibiting force or control? Isn't that the ultimate control? Love me, and proclaim my son king over your life, or I will put you into a place I've made where you will suffer unimaginably forever. If a man made a marriage proposal to a woman on those terms, don't you think she would feel a little coercion?
If that were the case, then yes.

I expect several sorts of objections to my observations here, and of course I am willing to discuss them, debate them, and learn something new.
Good. That's why I'm here.

I would love to be proved wrong about this, actually, because I just think it's a horrible worldview and I would love to be convinced that the implications of the popular Christian worldview are nothing like this. But in my experience, they are. No Christian openly confesses these things, but in the things they take for granted, they're actually built in and sitting in the background. Because God set up the whole show: he built the Lake of Fire himself, and one way or another, he will sustain those who reject him in a condition of unending conscious torment forever. He could have done things a different way, and for whatever reason, he didn't.
Actually He did. God created the lake of fire, not for us, but for Satan, and demons, and death, and hell, and the grave. If any human goes there, it is by choice, in rejection of God. And God does not sustain anyone in the lake of fire. I, personally, do not believe they are sustained at all, but destroyed. But even those who disagree with that last part tend to agree with the first part, that God does not sustain anyone in the lake of fire. God does not reach there. At all.

This is not a, "Love me or go to hell," scenario. There are only two places to go when you die. And God wants you with Him, even to the point of dying to make it happen. If you reject that, it is your choice, and your fault. And It breaks His heart. But wickedness can not stand in the midst of righteousness, so it's either let Him make you righteous, or be departed from Him forever. He wants to make you righteous. Let Him.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The nature of Hell has been debated for a very long time. Is it a place of torment? Yes, certainly. Is it a place of torture? Well, I frankly don't know. I doubt it, but since I'm not going there I haven't felt much need to spend a great deal of time trying to figure it out. The one thing I do know is this. God is good, loving and just, whatever punishment one gets in Hell will be likewise.

The point is that if you don't go to heaven, you will go to hell. In fact, because of our wickedness, we are all deserving of Hell, all of us, including you Balder!
It is not a situation in which God says "Love Me or go to Hell." as if He is some selfishly insecure nut job who can't handle being rejected. If God was afraid of being rejected He would never had created us with the ability to love Him in the first place.

The situation is much more like God saying, "You are headed to Hell because you are wicked! Allow Me to suffer for you so that I can justly rescue you from your punishment, and bring you to heaven to live forever with Me!"

Resting in Him,
Clete

1Way

Balder,
You said
I agree with you that love that is forced or controlled is not love. But if someone tells you, "I have built a furnace. If you do not love me, on my own terms, I am going to throw you in it," how is that not exhibiting force or control?
And right off the bat I see we are using two different understandings of what "force" and "control" mean. To control someone according to our previous and mostly consistent examples is to force someone to comply to your will quite regardless if it is "for" or "against" their will, reducing their will to a non issue, or in fact completely violating their will. Last I checked, warning someone of a real danger is a good thing. And no, God did not create the danger, good and evil are real issues that God allows people to experience, and again, since (godly) love is the ultimate, then He can not rightly force and control people to love Him. He has to let evil people be the way they are, unless He can persuade them to change for the better.

Previously you said something to the effect of, why not just reincarnate everyone until they all finally love God. Or why not just keep giving second chances until everyone gets saved. Both exhibits complete control over the other person's will, only spread out in a gradual manner. It's, love God and become His, or keep being reincarnated until you finally do. And I said the more direct approach, a puppet and a puppeteer can not be in true love, you must respond to a love offered according to your own free will, love can not be forced.

But now you say, if you warn someone of impending danger of eternal consequences, that that is somehow controlling!?! The fact is that even by your own admission, from the Christian view, many people are not controlled into loving and worshiping God, instead most are eternally damned, so you are arguing against yourself. Which is it? The Christian God is, or He is not, a control freak?

Secondly, would you look at a loving God who came and died for the world so that everyone could be saved and who clearly warns everyone about the impending doom of damnation if you don't follow His gospel unto salvation,,, as being anything but loving and right and good and demonstrating a desire to influence people to do what is right and good?

I mean, would you fault a firefighter as being an unloving control freak for warning people to stay away from a terrible fire?

Then you said
Isn't that the ultimate control? Love me, and proclaim my son king over your life, or I will put you into a place I've made where you will suffer unimaginably forever. If a man made a marriage proposal to a woman on those terms, don't you think she would feel a little coercion?
You seem to think that good and evil are not absolute issues, or that they are either nominal issues, or that evil hearts can not remain evil for eternity. I think issues of good and evil are absolute issues. And if a heart is good or evil, then it will be that way according to it's own nature, but God gives us an entire lifetime to repent and love Him instead of letting hatred and evil and sin consume yourself and how you treat others.

God explains that His enemies do not want Him in their lives no matter what, so then what makes you think reform might happen when the nature of evil is so terrible and consistently illogical? It makes no good sense to do or be evil, you can never justify it, it is irrational. To do good is good, but to do bad is bad, yet people do bad and it makes no (good) sense why people prefer to be evil. If God sees that we have honestly accepted His gospel unto salvation, then we have responded rightly to a real danger and a real love. But if God sees a person who has rejected His gospel unto salvation, then that person has responded wrongly to both a real danger and a real love.

You also said
Because God set up the whole show: he built the Lake of Fire himself, and one way or another, he will sustain those who reject him in a condition of unending conscious torment forever. He could have done things a different way, and for whatever reason, he didn't.
Remember, according to the open view, God does not sustain any evil, God only lets you be evil if you will not of your own free will submit to that which is the ultimate good, God. Good and evil are not arbitrary or temporal issues. Try it sometime, and please pick something that you can handle because I don't want you to have bad flashbacks just because I asked you to theorize about evil. Try understanding evil. You seem like a person who is concerned with right and wrong. I mean, try to understand someone who is involved with committing some terribly evil thing. It just makes no sense, especially when you consider the nature of things that are good and right. Things that are good and right have an innate sense of goodness and righteousness in them. When a mother cuddles and protects her baby and keeps it warm and well loved, is there anything evil or unrighteous about that? No, it is absolutely good and loving to care for others in such a wonderful way.

So I submit that goodness and righteousness are absolute issues. They come from a God who is eternally good and righteous. And evil and sin are that which go against God's goodness and righteousness. So evil and sin are actually spoiled or rejected goodness and righteousness. To do good or what is right makes perfect sense, it promotes life and joy and happiness and personal fulfillment. But to reject these things is bad, and is harmful and detrimental to life, and as such is quite illogical. Yet people are evil all the time. It's like their hatred for God means more to them than their love for life and goodness.

LOL, a California nut. I hope you live in the south part because, I'm a southern boy at heart, I really dislike cold wintery weather. You know that a huge aspect of the Christian faith is shown by the fact that believers were willing to die for their faith instead of being forced to exhibit anti-Christian confessions and beliefs. Do you find it was honorable and good to torture and ultimately kill Christians precisely because they would not be "forced" against their will to cease from worshiping the God of the bible? (I realize you would not approve, just trying to hammer home the point.)

Last edited:

Balder

1Way,

I will respond more fully in my next letter. I just wanted to observe that you appear to be making God "less actively involved" in the destiny that many Christians believe awaits all non-Christian human beings than is actually the case. I mean, even if God did not create evil, he created the Lake of Fire, and he purposefully resurrects human beings in order to throw most of them into it. So the firefighter metaphor isn't entirely accurate; he isn't just warning people against a fire he had no part in setting.

Concerning the impending danger that awaits all humanity, why is it that sinful activity on the part of humans is so much more heavily weighted than good? I mean, a person could sin just one or two times, and already they would be deserving of eternal conscious torment as "righteous judgment," while (as Christians like to point out) a lifetime of good acts earns human beings precisely nothing. Why does God "reward" human activity so unevenly?

You've touched on a lot of good points; I will return to them before long.

Peace,
Balder

PS. A southern boy? I'm originally a Texan, myself. Even went to a good ol' West Texas Bible college for a few years before becoming an apostate...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Balder-
It is not the acts we are punished for. It is our standing. If we are unrighteous to eb with the unrighteous. If we are righteous...

The only way to be righteous is to be made rightoeus by God. And the only way to be made righteous is to accept God's righteousness which is offered unto you.

harold

BANNED
Banned
Let's see.

You are saved by accepting Christ which means you have faith in Christ.

Faith is a grace from God.

Grace is an unmerrited gift from God.

Unmerrited means there is nothing we can do through our free will to recieve grace.

So God has to predestine certain people to recieve grace.

How do you account all that with free will and open theism?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by harold
Unmerrited means there is nothing we can do through our free will to recieve grace.
This definition is incorrect.

There is nothing we can do to DESERVE grace.

Resting in Him,
Clete