ECT The sixty nine weeks of Daniel 9:25

ThreeAngels

In Daniel 9:25 we read, "... from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks..." These 69 weeks are not literal but prophetic weeks where each day represents a year. We have a precedence of a day representing a year in Num 14:34 and Ezek 4:5. This decree to rebuild Jerusalem was given to Ezra (see Ezra 7) by king Artaxerxes in 457 B.C. 69 weeks or 483 years later the Messiah fulfilled the prophecy when He was anointed by the Holy Ghost following His baptism in 27 A.D.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In 458 BCE Artaxerxes authorized Ezra and a large number of Jews to return to Jerusalem.

Gabriel had told Daniel, "Know therefore and understand that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks and threescore and two weeks, the street shall be built again and the wall, even in troublous times." (Daniel 9:25)

From Artaxerxes decree until Messiah the Prince was to be 483 years. 483 years minus 458 BCE brings us to 25 CE. There was no year zero so we must add one year giving 26 CE for the coming of Messiah.

Gabriel said, "And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease."

Jesus' ministry was about three and one-half years so 26 CE plus three years gives 29 CE and another half year brings us to 30 CE.

In the year 30 CE the 15th of Nisan was on a Thursday.
(http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/SpringPhenom.php)

Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and laid in the tomb as the Sabbath began. A trumpet signaled the beginning of the holy day Sabbath.

Three days and three nights later a trumpet sounded marking the end of the Sabbath, Sunday began and Jesus was resurrected.​

Last edited:

beameup

For the anointing with oil and coronation, Solomon rode David's donkey.
Jesus rode the donkey into Jerusalem, thus presenting himself as King.
That was the exact date of the fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy.

The Baptism of John was in fulfillment of Exodus 19:6, where all Israel
was to become a "kingdom of priests". Ceremonial washing (baptism)
was necessary for entering the priesthood.

Prophet + Priest + King

ThreeAngels

And yet God hit the pause button... Why?
There was no pause. As a matter of fact the prophecy of Daniel reveals important events stretching to our day, and to the end of time. I recommend the book Daniel and the Revelation by Uriah Smith for a greater exegesis of Daniel.

Danoh

There was no pause. As a matter of fact the prophecy of Daniel reveals important events stretching to our day, and to the end of time. I recommend the book Daniel and the Revelation by Uriah Smith for a greater exegesis of Daniel.

I prefer Romans 1-3 and 9-11.

Danoh

The Bible is the book of books yet there are also books which have been written which help to explain it.

Absent of the perspective of those six chapters in Romans, such books can only serve one useful purpose...

The bottom of a bird cage.

Those six chapters in Romans are that vital to a proper understanding of one's understanding of all else in all of Scripture, including even...the balance of Romans itself.

ThreeAngels

In 458 BCE Artaxerxes authorized Ezra and a large number of Jews to return to Jerusalem.

Gabriel had told Daniel, "Know therefore and understand that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks and threescore and two weeks, the street shall be built again and the wall, even in troublous times." (Daniel 9:25)

From Artaxerxes decree until Messiah the Prince was to be 483 years. 483 years minus 458 BCE brings us to 25 CE. There was no year zero so we must add one year giving 26 CE for the coming of Messiah.

Gabriel said, "And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease."

Jesus' ministry was about three and one-half years so 26 CE plus three years gives 29 CE and another half year brings us to 30 CE.

In the year 30 CE the 15th of Nisan was on a Thursday.
(http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/SpringPhenom.php)

Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and laid in the tomb as the Sabbath began. A trumpet signaled the beginning of the holy day Sabbath.

Three days and three nights later a trumpet sounded marking the end of the Sabbath, Sunday began and Jesus was resurrected.​
The decree of king Artaxerxes was given to Ezra in 457 BC. Adding 483 years brings us to the beginning of His public ministry following His baptism in 27 AD. "And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease ... " Accordingly Jesus was crucified in 'the midst' of the seventieth week, 3 and a half years later, in AD 31 and thereby causing the sacrifice and oblation to cease. This is because all the sacrifices and oblations had only ever pointed to Him - the One Sacrifice.
Jesus was crucified on a Friday. In the book of Matthew 27:62, we read, "Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate." The day preceding the Sabbath was called the preparation. During this day the people were to make preparation for the necessities of the Sabbath. Jesus rested in the grave on the Sabbath and arose on the first day of the week. We see this in the same book 28:1, "... as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

Interplanner

But if you were to find the NT quoting or referring to Daniel, you would not be in Romans. You would basically be down to Mk 13/Mt 24 on the abomination, to Heb 9 on the end of the ages (the weeks) and Mt 26 on the Son of Man.

The use of the kingdom that is not a state (Dan 2) is the theme that is everywhere in the NT--too many to list.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If it stretches to our day then it was much longer than 69 years. Can you explain that?

ThreeAngels

If it stretches to our day then it was much longer than 69 years. Can you explain that?
69 weeks has 483 days, and this represents 483 years. There are a number of important events prophesied by Daniel which are underway. Probably the most important of this is the cleansing of the sanctuary. We read in chap. 8:14, "... Unto two thousand three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed." These 2300 days began in 457 B.C. -the seventy weeks or 490 years are a part of these. Adding 2300 years to this brings us to 1844 A.D. Since then the sanctuary is being cleansed. The cleansing involves a work of investigative judgment. The names of all professed believers are being examined against the scales of the sanctuary, ie the law of God. This examination began with Adam and we know not when the transition to the living saints begins. So believers cannot tell when their names com up for review, whether this hour or tomorrow. Once a decision is made, it is final, and the case has been determined for eternity. When this work is done, Jesus arises and says, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still." See Revelation 22:11. His work as our Priestly Mediator will be done. The seven last plagues will then be poured out, unmingled with God's mercy seeing there is no more Mediator pleading His blood on behalf of the guilty. Shortly after, Jesus' unerring promise is, "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." Revelation 22:12.

Danoh

Don't you just love observing delusion at work in people :chuckle:

Many Adventists know their Bibles like few, even like few within MAD circles.

But talk about "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
69 weeks has 483 days, and this represents 483 years.
It's been thousands of years.

There are a number of important events prophesied by Daniel which are underway. Probably the most important of this is the cleansing of the sanctuary.
Do you have any evidence of that taking place?

We read in chap. 8:14, "... Unto two thousand three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed."
8:14 of what?

These 2300 days began in 457 B.C. -the seventy weeks or 490 years are a part of these. Adding 2300 years to this brings us to 1844 A.D. Since then the sanctuary is being cleansed. The cleansing involves a work of investigative judgment. The names of all professed believers are being examined against the scales of the sanctuary, ie the law of God. This examination began with Adam and we know not when the transition to the living saints begins. So believers cannot tell when their names com up for review, whether this hour or tomorrow. Once a decision is made, it is final, and the case has been determined for eternity. When this work is done, Jesus arises and says, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still." See Revelation 22:11. His work as our Priestly Mediator will be done. The seven last plagues will then be poured out, unmingled with God's mercy seeing there is no more Mediator pleading His blood on behalf of the guilty. Shortly after, Jesus' unerring promise is, "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." Revelation 22:12.
So you're a preterist, too?

Seeing as how the verses following Daniel 8:14 tell us that the 2300 days were in reference to the end times you fail.

Then it happened, when I, Daniel, had seen the vision and was seeking the meaning, that suddenly there stood before me one having the appearance of a man. And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of the Ulai, who called, and said, “Gabriel, make this man understand the vision.” So he came near where I stood, and when he came I was afraid and fell on my face; but he said to me, “Understand, son of man, that the vision refers to the time of the end.”
-Daniel 8:15-17

Did you know that 2300 days [literal days, not years] is about 7 years? That's also literal years, not days. Might that be the 7 years of the time of Jacob's Trouble, aka the Tribulation?

Don't you just love observing delusion at work in people :chuckle:

Many Adventists know their Bibles like few, even like few within MAD circles.

But talk about "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."
It boggles the mind.

Rondonmonson

The time of the Gentiles came forth, an age (Church age) that was for the Gentiles to take the Gospel unto all the world while the Jewish Nation was dispersed unto all the world, just as Ezekiel prophesied. Then the question becomes, Can these bones Live again ? Answer, yes, God brought Israel back from the Nations they were dispersed to, and Israel was born again. That is why the time of Israels "70 WEEKS" was no more. And by the way, it is not actually 70 weeks per se, it is "Seventy Sevens", which implies no uninterrupted prophecy, but only implies Seventy Sevens or 70 Weeks of coming prophecy, it doesn't imply when they have to happen. How could Israel as a nation go through a prophecy as a nation, if she was no more a nation ?

As soon as the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled, and the Church is Raptured, then Israel will go through the 70th Week, which is designed to bring Israel to repentance and unto their Messiah Jesus, Elijah will turn Israel back unto God before the Day of the Lord (Malachi 4:5-6). The Tribulation is designed for Israel, not the church. Thus there was NO PAUSE per se, because there was no Prophecy that ever suggested the Seventy Sevens would be a consecutive prophecy, its a misconception by men.