The Samarians' Water vs Jesus' Water

WeberHome

John 3:5 . . I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

There lacks a consensus among the experts as to the meaning of the water about which Jesus spoke. But I think it's pretty simple because he spoke of it again in the very next chapter to a no-account woman that he met on the road to Samaria.

John 4:14 . .Whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

In other words; the water that Jesus spoke of in John 3:5 isn't for baptism; it's for drinking.
_

WeberHome

Re: The Samarians' Water vs Jesus' Water

The Greek word for "flesh" in John 3:3-8 is sarx (sarx) which basically refers to the meaty parts of the body rather than its liquids.

Sarx incudes microscopic meaty parts too, for example:

Rom 1:3 . . His son Jesus Christ our Lord; which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh

The koiné Greek word for "seed" in that passage is sperma (sper' mah) which in males typically refers to their reproductive stuff and/or their genetic material; especially when the seed is according to the flesh-- according to the sarx -- viz: biological seed rather than spiritual seed.

NOTE: There is a divine seed (1John 3:9) which is transferred by the Spirit via John 3:6.

Anyway, in a nutshell: It would not profit people to start all over again in their mother's womb because the only kind of life that women are equipped to produce is human life; whereas among the varieties of life that the Spirit is equipped to produce is eternal life; in other words: that which is divine rather than human. In point of fact, according to John 5:24, people lacking eternal life are quite dead on the hoof, and in grave danger of the sum of all fears.

BTW: Rom 1:3, along with Gen 3:15, is bad news for people who resolutely refuse to accept that Jesus Christ is biologically related to Adam.
_

WeberHome

Several years ago I asked a substitute Sunday school teacher if he thought Joseph in the book of Genesis was born again. Well, he was quite taken aback by the question and asked me to explain.

So I told him that the language and grammar of John 3:3-8 permits no exceptions: all must be born again; and it's not an option, it's a must.

He didn't have a clue; and by then the class was in an uproar so I didn't pursue it.
_

WeberHome

The Samarians' Water vs Jesus' Water

FAQ: Did people in the Old Testament even know about Jesus back then?

A: They may not have known his name, but they were all aware that a savior was on the way-- beginning with Adam and Eve.

Gen 3:15 . . I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.

It's pretty much agreed on both sides of the aisle that the seed is Christ.

Others besides Adam and Eve knew.

Abraham:

John 8:56 . . Abraham rejoiced to see my day, and he saw it and was glad.

Jacob:

Gen 49:18 . . I have waited for thy salvation, O Lord

Moses:

Heb 11:26 . . He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.

Isaiah:

Isa 52:14 . .There were many who were appalled at him— his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness

Isa 53:6 . .We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

All the prophets:

1Pet 1:10-11 . . Concerning this salvation, prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and investigated it, investigating the time and circumstances that the Spirit of Christ within them indicated when it testified in advance to the sufferings destined for Christ and the glories to follow them.

David:

Ps 16:10 . . You will not abandon my soul to Sheol, nor let your devout one see the pit. (cf. Acts 2:25-36) /size]

FAQ: Jesus said at John 6:54 that it's necessary to eat his flesh and drink his blood in order to obtain eternal life. Well, if there was no such thing as a communion service until Jesus' last supper, then how did those people back there eat his flesh and drink his blood?

A: Hook, line, and sinker; if you get my drift.

John 6:40 . . For this is the will of my Father: that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in him, may have eternal life; and I myself will raise him up on the last day.

John 6:47 . . I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.
_

WeberHome

John 3:5 . . I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Assuming that the water Jesus spoke of in that passage is the living water that he spoke about to the woman in John 4:10-14, then what can be known about it?

Well; for sure we know that it's intimately related to eternal life.

John 4:14 . .Whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

The Old Testament says that the life of the flesh is in the blood. Well, in this scenario, the life of eternal life is in the living water that Jesus spoke of.

This is all a mite confusing but it seems to me that the living water itself isn't eternal life, rather, the living water sustains eternal life just as normal water sustains human life.

In other words: eternal life need not carry a canteen in order to keep itself hydrated because eternal is life is conjoined to a source of water. In a nutshell; eternal life and the living water are joined at the hip, so to speak; i.e. they're a unity.
_

WeberHome

Jer 17:13 . . O Lord . . those who turn away from You will be written in the dust because they have forsaken The Lord, the spring of living water.

The Hebrew word for "Lord" in that verse is Yehovah (a.k.a. Jehovah). It is definitely one of the Bible's eureka revelations because the verse shows that in order for someone to have the living water within them that Jesus spoke of in John 4:10-14, it is necessary to have Jehovah within them.

Jehovah is there in the person of the Spirit.

1Cor 6:19 . . Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God,

Christ too is there in the person of the Spirit.

2Cor 13:5 . . Examine yourselves to see whether you are living in faith. Test yourselves. Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you? --unless, of course, you fail the test.

Rom 8:9 . . If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

In other words: Christ and Jehovah are housed within the bodies of Jesus' followers via the Spirit.

John 7:37-39 . . Jesus stood and cried out, saying: If any man is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, as the Scripture said: From his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water. But this he spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This is one of the supernatural elements of Christianity that has to be taken on faith because the presence of the three aspects of The Deity within someone's body is not readily apparent.
_

WeberHome

John 7:38 . . He who believes in me, as the Scripture said: From his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water.

There is no punctuation in the Greek manuscripts. So translators insert punctuation arbitrarily, at their own discretion, where they think it might do the most good.

The problem is, the punctuation in the verse above is misleading. There are no passages anywhere in the Old Testament that say "From his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water."

However, the verse is still useful if we but relocate the arbitrary punctuation so that the text reads like this;

"He who believes in me as the Scripture said; from his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water."

In other words: when people believe in Jesus in accord with what the Scriptures says about him, they get the water. For example:

Gen 3:15 . . And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.

Gen 12:1-3 . . The Lord said to Abram . . . in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.

Isa 52:13-15 . . See, my servant will act wisely; he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted. Just as there were many who were appalled at him-- his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness-- so shall he sprinkle many nations.

Isa 53:6 . .We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and The Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Ps 16:9-10 . . My heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to sheol, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

There's more. The ones above are only a starter list.

Luke 24:25-27 . . And He said to them: O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory? And beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

I sincerely believe that Jesus Christ is a man of integrity who would never knowingly mislead people. In point of fact, I'm convinced that that everything he taught originated with God, whom I also sincerely believe to be a person of integrity who would never knowingly mislead people.

John 3:34 . . For he is sent by God. He speaks God's words, for God's Spirit is upon him without measure or limit

John 8:26 . .He that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of Him.

John 8:28 . . I do nothing on my own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught me.

John 12:49 . . I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

Jesus instructed the Samarian woman that she could have the living water merely by asking him for it. I've done that.

Jesus instructed his countrymen that whoever believes in him would be given to drink of the Spirit within the very core of their being if all they did was approach him for it. I've done that too.

So if John 4:10-14 is true and reliable, and if John 7:37-39 is true and reliable; then I have successfully obtained the living water, and I have also successfully obtained the Spirit within the very core of my being.

The steps I took to successfully obtain the living water and the Spirit, were essential components of my baptism into Jesus' body.

1Cor 12:13 . .We were all baptized by one Spirit into one body-- whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free --and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

The awful irony of the standard Christian baptism is that not everyone who undergoes it will make it to safety when they pass on; and that's because they failed to obtain the Spirit and the living water about which Jesus spoke in John 4:10-14 and John 7:37-39.

NOTE: It's risky to depend upon the standard Christian baptism for obtaining the Spirit and the living water; no, play it safe and speak up for them as Jesus instructed.

John 6:37 . . Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me

Rom 10:13 . . Everyone who calls on the name of The Lord will be saved.
_