The Rise Of Trump and American Authoritarianism

PureX

A friend posted an essay on Facebook today, that I wanted to share because it's very illuminating of a lot of attitudes and beliefs expressed here on TOL.

The essay can be found in full, HERE.

It's quite long and in depth, so I can't post it all, here, but it basically explains the rise in popularity of such a seemingly unlikely presidential candidate as Donald Trump. And explain why this sort of insanity will become even more prevalent in the future.

The American media, over the past year, has been trying to work out something of a mystery: Why is the Republican electorate supporting a far-right, orange-toned populist with no real political experience, who espouses extreme and often bizarre views? How has Donald Trump, seemingly out of nowhere, suddenly become so popular?

What's made Trump's rise even more puzzling is that his support seems to cross demographic lines — education, income, age, even religiosity — that usually demarcate candidates. And whereas most Republican candidates might draw strong support from just one segment of the party base, such as Southern evangelicals or coastal moderates, Trump currently does surprisingly well from the Gulf Coast of Florida to the towns of upstate New York, and he won a resounding victory in the Nevada caucuses.

Perhaps strangest of all, it wasn't just Trump but his supporters who seemed to have come out of nowhere, suddenly expressing, in large numbers, ideas far more extreme than anything that has risen to such popularity in recent memory. In South Carolina, a CBS News exit poll found that 75 percent of Republican voters supported banning Muslims from the United States. A PPP poll found that a third of Trump voters support banning gays and lesbians from the country. Twenty percent said Lincoln shouldn't have freed the slaves.

MacWilliams studies authoritarianism — not actual dictators, but rather a psychological profile of individual voters that is characterized by a desire for order and a fear of outsiders. People who score high in authoritarianism, when they feel threatened, look for strong leaders who promise to take whatever action necessary to protect them from outsiders and prevent the changes they fear.

So MacWilliams naturally wondered if authoritarianism might correlate with support for Trump.

He polled a large sample of likely voters, looking for correlations between support for Trump and views that align with authoritarianism. What he found was astonishing: Not only did authoritarianism correlate, but it seemed to predict support for Trump more reliably than virtually any other indicator.

That year, Hetherington and Weiler published a book about the effects of authoritarianism on American politics. Through a series of experiments and careful data analysis, they had come to a surprising conclusion: Much of the polarization dividing American politics was fueled not just by gerrymandering or money in politics or the other oft-cited variables, but by an unnoticed but surprisingly large electoral group — authoritarians.

Their book concluded that the GOP, by positioning itself as the party of traditional values and law and order, had unknowingly attracted what would turn out to be a vast and previously bipartisan population of Americans with authoritarian tendencies.

This trend had been accelerated in recent years by demographic and economic changes such as immigration, which "activated" authoritarian tendencies, leading many Americans to seek out a strongman leader who would preserve a status quo they feel is under threat and impose order on a world they perceive as increasingly alien.

Since so many of you here on TOL are very definitely of the "authoritarian" tribe, I am curious what you think of this essay. I realize it's very long, but you can skim it and get a good idea what it's saying.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
...Since so many of you here on TOL are very definitely of the "authoritarian" tribe, I am curious what you think of this essay. I realize it's very long, but you can skim it and get a good idea what it's saying.

After studying Donald Trump for the past several weeks, I see a lot of Barack Hussein Obama in him.

obama-tearing-up-constitution.jpg

trump_constitution.jpg

BTW, the first picture was from a right leaning website, the latter from a left.

Mr. 5020

I agree with [MENTION=6141]Nick M[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2451]The Berean[/MENTION]. Trump is not even a conservative, much less "far-right."

He's playing off the fears and paranoias of racists and morons everywhere. It's insanity.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From Rush's radio show via rushlimbaugh.com...

Michigan Union Democrat said:
Well, I'll tell you. One good thing is, Mr. Trump has done things in real life. We need results. Congress is like a bunch of three-year-olds playing with Legos. If they put it together and it doesn't work, they don't care, they just take it apart and start all over again. Mr. Trump has vetted himself in the real world. He's a successful businessman. He's someone that we should be looking to for answers. These guys just talk amongst themselves. At the end of the day does it matter? No, they still got their big pensions and their health care, while we're out here slugging it out the waiting for answers that never come.

Well, I think the time for political correctness patty-cake stuff, we're getting nowhere with this. We really need to, you know, pull up our pants and be Americans again. Make people responsible for the things they do. I'm sorry. You know, there's a lot of handouts going on and there's a lot of special things that people are getting while the rest of us stand here and we're ignored, or even worse than that, we're insulted --

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Trump is winning with the poorly educated - he loves the poorly educated

People who are after American dreams love him.

He is successful business man.

This country is not Christian country. That's why the majority does not care about ethics.

But you have to remember Jesus says His followers are not of the world.

His followers should stay away from politics.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
People who are after American dreams love him.

He is successful business man.

This country is not Christian country. That's why the majority does not care about ethics.

But you have to remember Jesus says His followers are not of the world.

His followers should stay away from politics.
You need to vote for Trump if you are true American

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Trump is winning with the poorly educated - he loves the poorly educated

Funny you would say that, very ill timed.

Michigan Union Democrat said:
Well, kind of. It's kind of like a few callers ago he said that us guys are low-informed voters. I mean, just 'cause we didn't march out of somewhere with a Harvard degree or whatever, I guess we're not qualified to vote for the president of the United States. I feel like that's the whole thing. It's like we're not important, yet here we've been carrying the country on our back with taxes for years and years and we get no appreciation whatsoever.