ECT The Righteousness Which Is Of God

turbosixx

Actually,he said this:

"For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law" (Ro.3:28).

"Works of law" and not the "works of THE law."

By using the word "law" without the definite article he is referring to both "the law" which was given to the Jews as well as the work of the law written in their hearts of the Gentiles of which the conscience bears witness (Ro.2:15).

So when the word "law" is used it is speaking of the moral law.

Look at the context, he's talking about the same law.

14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts,

What version do you read works of law?

Last edited:

turbosixx

What is your point?

Are you trying to prove that the principle of salvation by "grace" is compatible with "works"?

Must a person "work" for the GIFT of God which is eternal life?

Yes, that is my point as well.

The bible tells us how we can know if we are in Christ.
3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

I always see it coming down to our deeds. Do we earn salvation? NO.

What must one do to EARN salvation?

DAN P

Actually,he said this:

"For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law" (Ro.3:28).

"Works of law" and not the "works of THE law."

By using the word "law" without the definite article he is referring to both "the law" which was given to the Jews as well as the work of the law written in their hearts of the Gentiles of which the conscience bears witness (Ro.2:15).

So when the word "law" is used it is speaking of the moral law.

Hi and I agree that the Greek Article is not before the word LAW but is it not a strech , that it is also taking about Gentiles having Law written on their hearts , ALSO ??

What are the LAWS written in the Gentiles heart , today ??

And in verse 14 , the Gentiles , having NO Law , may do by nature the things of teh LAW and here the Greek ARTICLE is used !!

dan p

Interplanner

Hi and I agree that the Greek Article is not before the word LAW but is it not a strech , that it is also taking about Gentiles having Law written on their hearts , ALSO ??

What are the LAWS written in the Gentiles heart , today ??

And in verse 14 , the Gentiles , having NO Law , may do by nature the things of teh LAW and here the Greek ARTICLE is used !!

dan p

The reason the article would be in the last phrase, Dan, is because the natural law people were doing what the Biblical Law called for.

You also asked what Laws are written in Gentile hearts. Well, Rabbi Prager is helpful on this: all the 10 commands actually are a way of saying 'do not steal.' In each case of the 10 commands, a theft of some kind or level is being practiced. Gentiles also believe in property rights.