ECT The Rapture: Kept From the Hour of Trial

Jerry Shugart

The church in Philadelphia has been given this promise:

"Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth"
(Rev.3:10).​

This is a promise that this church would not enter the future "hour of trial," a time of trouble which begins in the sixth chapter of Revelation:

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth"
(Rev.6:8).​

Those in the church will be kept from this tribulation and the horrors which will follow when they are caught up to meet the Lord Jesus in the air:

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thess.4:16-17).​

Those in the church will not be on the earth at the time of this great tribulation. So the "catching up" of the saints (the rapture) will happen before great tribulation envelops the whole earth.

A pre-Trib Rapture!

TweetyBird

"Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth"

This is a promise that this church would not enter the future "hour of trial," a time of trouble which begins in the sixth chapter of Revelation:

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth"

Those in the church will be kept from this tribulation and the horrors which will follow when they are caught up to meet the Lord Jesus in the air:

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thess.4:16-17).​

Those in the church will not be on the earth at the time of this great tribulation. So the "catching up" of the saints (the rapture) will happen before great tribulation envelops the whole earth.

A pre-Trib Rapture!

There is no verse in the NT that states there will be "the great tribulation". Great tribulation has encompassed the whole world since Jesus arose from the dead. Jesus said we will have tribulation and suffer. That will never end until He comes on the clouds of glory and this old world ceases to exist.

Jerry Shugart

There is no verse in the NT that states there will be "the great tribulation".

I quoted a verse that describes "great tribulation" which will come upon a fourth of mankind. When I referred to it I called it "this tribulation."

So what's your problem?

Great tribulation has encompassed the whole world since Jesus arose from the dead. Jesus said we will have tribulation and suffer. That will never end until He comes on the clouds of glory and this old world ceases to exist.

The verses which I quoted and referred to as "this tribulation" are not in regard to anything which happened beginning when the Lord Jesus was resurrected from the dead.

TweetyBird

I quoted a verse that describes "great tribulation" which will come upon a fourth of mankind. When I referred to it I called it "this tribulation."

So what's your problem?

It's not a single period of time. It's been happening for over 2,000 years. The earth has been groaning, waiting for her redemption since the resurrection of Christ.

The verses which I quoted and referred to as "this tribulation" are not in regard to anything which happened beginning when the Lord Jesus was resurrected from the dead.

Jesus was referring to the season of time after His resurrection until He returns at the end of this earth age. It's been one horrific killer of a ride for over 2,000 years. I am surprised that you don't see it ...

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no verse in the NT that states there will be "the great tribulation". Great tribulation has encompassed the whole world since Jesus arose from the dead. Jesus said we will have tribulation and suffer. That will never end until He comes on the clouds of glory and this old world ceases to exist.

There are two and they refer to the same specific time frame.
The Lord specifies in Mat 24:21 that this tribulation is unique of all history and He no doubt is speaking of the same period of time as revealed to Daniel in Dan 12 which will be the period in which Daniel's people[Israel] are both delivered and raised from the dead.

Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Rev 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

εκ της θλιψεως της μεγαλης

ek tos thilipeos tos megales

Literal translation: out of the tribulation the great one

The two definite articles declare that this 'thilipsis/pressure/tribulation' is specifically 'the great one'.

*Edit:

The Septuagint Greek reads like this:

Dan 12:1 And at that time Michael the great prince shall stand up, that stands over the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of tribulation, such tribulation as has not been from the time that there was a nation on the earth until that time: at that time thy people shall be delivered, even every one that is written in the book.

kai estai Kairos thilipseos, thilipseos oia
and there will be a time of pressure/trouble/tribulation and such tribulation as

The Lord Jesus uses the same Greek 'thilipsis' and the same unique period in Mat 24:21 as the messenger to Daniel does in Dan 12:1, thus linking the two as being the same event.
The great tribulation/thilipsis megas which is described in Dan 12:1, Mat 24:21 and Rev 7:14 are describing the same event and they all concern the nation of Israel....Daniel's people.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
The Lord specifies in Mat 24:21 that this tribulation is unique of all history and He no doubt is speaking of the same period of time as revealed to Daniel in Dan 12 which will be the period in which Daniel's people[Israel] are both delivered and raised from the dead.

Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Rev 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

The two definite articles declare that this 'thilipsis/pressure/tribulation' is specifically 'the great one'.

*Edit:

Dan 12:1 And at that time Michael the great prince shall stand up, that stands over the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of tribulation, such tribulation as has not been from the time that there was a nation on the earth until that time: at that time thy people shall be delivered, even every one that is written in the book.

kai estai Kairos thilipseos, thilipseos oia
and there will be a time of pressure/trouble/tribulation and such tribulation as

The Lord Jesus uses the same Greek 'thilipsis' and the same unique period in Mat 24:21 as the messenger to Daniel does in Dan 12:1, thus linking the two as being the same event.
The great tribulation/thilipsis megas which is described in Dan 12:1, Mat 24:21 and Rev 7:14 are describing the same event and they all concern the nation of Israel....Daniel's people.

Jeremiah 30:7 KJV Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble, but he shall be saved out of it.

Pictured....

Genesis 32:7 KJV Then Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed: and he divided the people that was with him, and the flocks, and herds, and the camels, into two bands;

And notice it says "Jacob," not "Israel".......The bible...A book of details....

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

A pre-Trib Rapture!

Wrong.

Rev 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
Rev 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

LA

TweetyBird

But that is not what Dan 12 states.

There is no "the" in the Greek.

Rev 7:14 And2532 I said2046 unto him,846 Sir,2962 thou4771 knowest.1492 And2532 he said2036 to me,3427 These3778 are1526 they which came2064 out of1537 great3173 tribulation,2347 and2532 have washed4150 their848 robes,4749 and2532 made them white3021, 848 in1722 the3588 blood129 of the3588 Lamb.721

The LXX is not reliable for anything but kindling.

That is just wishful opinion. The world has been experiencing tribulation, great tribulation for 2000 years. There has never, until the last 2,000 years been so much tribulation. You are ignoring history totally. For instance, just one example - the black plague in Europe killed half of its population. The horror of those days is mind boggling. Then there is the Holocaust that may have taken closer to 20 million, including Christians. You are in fantasy land if you don't think we have been in trib all along.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Acts 14:22
confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 12:12
rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

2 Corinthians 7:4
Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.

1 Thessalonians 3:4
For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

2 Thessalonians 1:4
so that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

Revelation 1:9
I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 2:9
I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

2 Corinthians 1:4
who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Jerry Shugart

Wrong.

Rev 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
Rev 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

This is speaking about those who will become believers after the rapture. You have not proved that anything which I said in my OP is in error.

DAN P

In the Interlinear Greek-English New Testament edited by Jay P. Green there is indeed a definite article at Revelation 7:14": "the 3588."

Hi and Jerry has you here as there are 2 Greek ARTICLES here in Rev 7:14 which is TNS IN the Genitive case and the other TOV BEFORE robes also in the Genitive case !!

dan p

DAN P

Hi and Jerry just did you IN , so read Matt 24 and 24:21 and WEEP !!

DAN P

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This is speaking about those who will become believers after the rapture. You have not proved that anything which I said in my OP is in error.

You provide no proof of that.

None can become believers except through the presence and preaching of believers.

This is set in concrete and to change it is to receive the wrath of God.

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

LA

TweetyBird

Hi and Jerry just did you IN , so read Matt 24 and 24:21 and WEEP !!

DAN P

Matt 24 does not refer to a THE great tribulation. It is a period time lasting from then until Christ returns. Do you not look at the history of the world the last 2000 years?

The biggie for the Jews was the destruction of Jerusalem - millions were killed and ravaged, their land taken from them, and the Temple was destroyed, never to be built again. There was an earthquake and people were fleeing for their lives. The last of them ended up on top of Masada and ended up killing themselves. All of this is dismissed.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The blood, and the blood of the Lamb --- not "The great tribulation".

Your're mistaken.

hoi erchomenoi ek tēs thlipseōs tēs megalēs

they come out of the tribulation the great

Definite article before both 'tribulation' and before 'great' in all nine Greek texts:

Rev 7:14

SBL Greek New Testament 2010
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ· Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέν μοι· Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Nestle Greek New Testament 1904
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέν μοι Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ Ἀρνίου.

Westcott and Hort 1881
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέν μοι Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Westcott and Hort / [NA27 variants]
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέν μοι Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

RP Byzantine Majority Text 2005
Καὶ εἴπον αὐτῷ, Κύριέ μου, σὺ ο ἴδας. Καὶ εἴπέν μοι, Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν, καὶ ἐλεύκαναν ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Greek Orthodox Church 1904
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ· Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέ μοι· Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Tischendorf 8th Edition
καί ἐρέω αὐτός κύριος ἐγώ σύ εἴδω καί λέγω ἐγώ οὗτος εἰμί ὁ ἔρχομαι ἐκ ὁ θλῖψις ὁ μέγας καί πλύνω ὁ στολή αὐτός καί λευκαίνω αὐτός ἐν ὁ αἷμα ὁ ἀρνίον

Scrivener's Textus Receptus 1894
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ, Κύριέ, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέ μοι, Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ Κύριέ σὺ οἶδας καὶ εἶπέν μοι Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν στολὰς αὐτῶν ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου

TweetyBird

Your're mistaken.

hoi erchomenoi ek tēs thlipseōs tēs megalēs

they come out of the tribulation the great

Definite article before both 'tribulation' and before 'great' in all nine Greek texts:

Rev 7:14

SBL Greek New Testament 2010
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ· Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέν μοι· Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Nestle Greek New Testament 1904
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέν μοι Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ Ἀρνίου.

Westcott and Hort 1881

Westcott and Hort / [NA27 variants]

RP Byzantine Majority Text 2005
Καὶ εἴπον αὐτῷ, Κύριέ μου, σὺ ο ἴδας. Καὶ εἴπέν μοι, Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν, καὶ ἐλεύκαναν ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Greek Orthodox Church 1904
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ· Κύριέ μου, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέ μοι· Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Tischendorf 8th Edition
καί ἐρέω αὐτός κύριος ἐγώ σύ εἴδω καί λέγω ἐγώ οὗτος εἰμί ὁ ἔρχομαι ἐκ ὁ θλῖψις ὁ μέγας καί πλύνω ὁ στολή αὐτός καί λευκαίνω αὐτός ἐν ὁ αἷμα ὁ ἀρνίον

Scrivener's Textus Receptus 1894
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ, Κύριέ, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέ μοι, Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου.

Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550
καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ Κύριέ σὺ οἶδας καὶ εἶπέν μοι Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν στολὰς αὐτῶν ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου

It's a non point. The other mentions of tribulation in these same translations do not include a "the". In fact, if you look closely, a "the" in the translations that you posted are not consistent with putting a "the" in the text at all. It's a loose practice all the way around. To base a doctrine on a "the" for "the great trib" is very questionable and loose scholarship. Matt 24 does not use "the" great trib either. You are missing the main point. The world has been in great tribulation for 2000 years. It's historical fact.