The Public School SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
jp thankfully my homeschooled children will not grow up crass and vile.

For instance.... my teenage boys would never post jokes like this on a website (or anywhere else for that matter).

And I am sure you wouldn't either.... would you? :rolleyes:

Christine

Originally posted by Zakath

When I lived in WV, we worked with a state certified teacher (and homeschooled her kids for her). In some states there are certain advantages if you are working with a certified teacher...
However, I don't believe Ohio is one of those states.

If you don't mind my asking, at what grade equivalent are you working? (Not your age, your educational level.)
I am currently in the 11th grade.

I agree. That's why it was added as an afterthought. Though, depending upon how you see things, "religious reasons" could be considered as rebelling against what they see as a corrupt, evil system...

Perspective is an important thing to consider. :think:
True. Many people also homeschool for more than one reason, but in studies, religious reasons was the primary reason for more people than any other reason.

jpbordeaux87

hahaha, I forgot about that.
:thumb: Good job Knight, you dug up dirt from the past, and now you have successfully shut up another independant minded kid. Oh, and congratulations on knowing your teenage kids inside and out. I wish I knew me inside and out.

AROTO

I do not find all public schools repulsive, probably because my locale has excellent public schools - with the high property taxes I pay I would expect no less. To put things in perspective, the school board budget in my county is larger than the budget to operate the entire states of New Hampshire, or Montana, or Alaska, or Vermont.

Too many public schools are poor quality because uninvolved parents permit them to be so. That is a travesty and a waste of taxpayer money.

I have attended schools in some of the richest school districts; I have attended school in some rather poor school districts as well. It makes no true difference; sure your teacher may have tenure or some other credential to be proud of. However, the behavior of both the teachers and students is immoral and repugnant, and the curriculum is even worse.

jpbordeaux87

jp thankfully my homeschooled children will not grow up crass and vile.

For instance.... my teenage boys would never post jokes like this on a website (or anywhere else for that matter).

And I am sure you wouldn't either.... would you?

Why are you so sarcastic and condescending? Forgive me if I read into your posts, but that's the feeling I get.

Ohhhhh-kaaaay. :rolleyes:

Right back atcha... ;)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by jpbordeaux87
Why are you so sarcastic and condescending? Forgive me if I read into your posts, but that's the feeling I get.
Good. That's feeling I intended. :)

Greywolf

Even if you have no idea what morals/values those teachers are instilling into your child? What if the teacher believe entirely differently than you do?

The only time that I've ever seen morals discussed in a class was the sex ed. unit we had to go through as freshmen. I don't think that teachers instill morals into children, with maybe the exception of kindergarten teachers. But if you disagree with the morals/values that a teacher has been instilling into your child then correct the teacher and tell your child what you think. As a parent you should be doing that anyway.

Most parents have been reading for years. They should be proficient readers by the time their children are old enough to learn.

But are they are not necessarily proficient in science, math, history, foreign languages, etc...

Reading is just the basics. After a student becomes a proficient reader, they can read the textbook on their own, thus becoming more independent.

I realize that, but as someone who has done that many times, I can tell you that it helps if someone teaches it to you, even if you have a fairly good understanding of it.

jpbordeaux87

Knight, I'm sorry I brought you down to my level. I feel like I've matured a little bit in the past year since that joke post. When I started posting here I had no intentions to be disrespectful. You didn't respect me, and I didn't respect you. :doh:

Maybe I will be wiser from this, and conceal my age in the future.

Christine

Originally posted by Greywolf

The only time that I've ever seen morals discussed in a class was the sex ed. unit we had to go through as freshmen. I don't think that teachers instill morals into children, with maybe the exception of kindergarten teachers. But if you disagree with the morals/values that a teacher has been instilling into your child then correct the teacher and tell your child what you think. As a parent you should be doing that anyway.
Of course I would be trying to instill my morals and values into my children, but who is going to have more of an impact on their lives, a parent that they see for a few hours in the morning and evening, or a teacher that they're with eight hours a day, five days a week?
BTW, as I said before, my father is a repentent former public school teacher. Morals come up in more than sex-ed. For example, if I attended school in the discrict that I live in, I would be 2nd-3rd grade and have a lesbian gym teacher. As a young child that would probably raise some quesions in my mind. Also, our high-school has some of the best science standards in the state, but they got there by having a atheistic evolutionistic teacher, who brings morals into the classroom on topics such as abortion and cloning.

But are they are not necessarily proficient in science, math, history, foreign languages, etc...
Is anyone proficient in every subject? Even the best of us have our weak points. Homeschoolers form co-ops for that very purpose. At a co-op your child can take classes once a week (that's how it is for the one in my area) in subjects that mom and dad might otherwise struggle to teach. Some homeschoolers also opt for help from the local college.
As for foreign languages, my father is teaching me three foreign languages, two of which he never sudied before. We follow the course, and student and teacher learn together.

I realize that, but as someone who has done that many times, I can tell you that it helps if someone teaches it to you, even if you have a fairly good understanding of it.
As a student, I know that I don't need someone explaining every subject to me. It's great to have someone there (my dad) to explain math and sciece to me, but I don't need him to explain history and American Lit. to me. It would end up being a waste of time for both the student and the teacher.

GreyWolf, just curious, are you a Christian?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Christine

However, I don't believe Ohio is one of those states.
If you say so, I do not know.

I am currently in the 11th grade.
Any current plans for post secondary education?

True. Many people also homeschool for more than one reason, but in studies, religious reasons was the primary reason for more people than any other reason.
Who conducted those studies? They wouldn't happen to be studies conducted by religious groups would they? Having worked on several large-scale (national) studies of education, sample bias and design bias are constant issues. It is very tempting (and very common) for a special interest group to do a study to "prove a point" to their constituency. You generally will not learn about this kind of thing through sectarian home-school materials, though. It would require significant independent reading on your part.

I would be interested to find out to which studies you are referring.

Thanks.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by AROTO

I have attended schools in some of the richest school districts; I have attended school in some rather poor school districts as well. It makes no true difference; sure your teacher may have tenure or some other credential to be proud of. However, the behavior of both the teachers and students is immoral and repugnant, and the curriculum is even worse.
How about telling us the school districts where these "repugnant" and "immoral" teachers are so others can be warned and benefit from your experience. I'm not suggesting you name teachers, just avoid vague references to "rich" and "poor" school districts that will not help anyone trying to do right by their children.

For example, the school district where I reside is Fairfax County, Virginia.

Christine

Any current plans for post secondary education?
College? No, I'll not be attending college.

Who conducted those studies? They wouldn't happen to be studies conducted by religious groups would they? Having worked on several large-scale (national) studies of education, sample bias and design bias are constant issues. It is very tempting (and very common) for a special interest group to do a study to "prove a point" to their constituency. You generally will not learn about this kind of thing through sectarian home-school materials, though. It would require significant independent reading on your part.

I would be interested to find out to which studies you are referring.

Thanks.
The study that I'm thinking of was one I remember reading and was probably done by the NHRI (National Home-education Research Institute) I'll see if I can find it on-line and get back with you.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Christine
College? No, I'll not be attending college.
OK. Do you have any other plans for further education after completing your homeschooling?

The study that I'm thinking of was one I remember reading and was probably done by the NHRI (National Home-education Research Institute) I'll see if I can find it on-line and get back with you.
I'd appreciate that, thanks. :thumb:

Greywolf

Of course I would be trying to instill my morals and values into my children, but who is going to have more of an impact on their lives, a parent that they see for a few hours in the morning and evening, or a teacher that they're with eight hours a day, five days a week? BTW, as I said before, my father is a repentent former public school teacher. Morals come up in more than sex-ed. For example, if I attended school in the discrict that I live in, I would be 2nd-3rd grade and have a lesbian gym teacher. As a young child that would probably raise some quesions in my mind. Also, our high-school has some of the best science standards in the state, but they got there by having a atheistic evolutionistic teacher, who brings morals into the classroom on topics such as abortion and cloning.

What kind of questions would having a lesbian gym teacher raise? Just to make sure were on the same page. I would be surprised if the science department wasn't atheistic and taught evolution. There is no scientific proof that would justify teaching creationism in a science class.

Is anyone proficient in every subject? Even the best of us have our weak points. Homeschoolers form co-ops for that very purpose. At a co-op your child can take classes once a week (that's how it is for the one in my area) in subjects that mom and dad might otherwise struggle to teach. Some homeschoolers also opt for help from the local college. As for foreign languages, my father is teaching me three foreign languages, two of which he never sudied before. We follow the course, and student and teacher learn together.

No one is going to be proficient in every subject, which is why it isn't a good idea to have only one teacher teaching every subject as is often the case with homeschooling. It seems to me like there isn't much of a difference between a homeschool co-op and a public school aside from the size. Fortunately, it sounds like your father is a knowledgeable and caring individual, but unfortunately not all parent who try homeschooling are like that.

As a student, I know that I don't need someone explaining every subject to me. It's great to have someone there (my dad) to explain math and sciece to me, but I don't need him to explain history and American Lit. to me. It would end up being a waste of time for both the student and the teacher.

It isn't necessary to have a teacher explain everything to you, that is true. I've taught myself things out of textbooks countless times in the past without a teacher's help. However, for all the other subjects that students aren't so great at (English, in my case), it does help.

GreyWolf, just curious, are you a Christian?

I'm an agnostic

Christine

Originally posted by Greywolf

What kind of questions would having a lesbian gym teacher raise?
I've heard of parents of 5-6 year-olds that attend that school having to answer the question, "Mommy, is that a man or a woman?" A five-year-old has enough to learn about without having to add how to tell women that look like men from men.
Just to make sure were on the same page. I would be surprised if the science department wasn't atheistic and taught evolution. There is no scientific proof that would justify teaching creationism in a science class.
While I'm not an evolutionist, that's not what I'm complaining about. I'm complaining about the fact that he tells his students his moral opinion about controversial issues such as abortion and cloning.

No one is going to be proficient in every subject, which is why it isn't a good idea to have only one teacher teaching every subject as is often the case with homeschooling. It seems to me like there isn't much of a difference between a homeschool co-op and a public school aside from the size.
There is a difference. Parents are the teachers, very few if any of them are certified teachers. You use a Christian curriculum, and the students are still taught some subjects at home by their parents.

Fortunately, it sounds like your father is a knowledgeable and caring individual, but unfortunately not all parent who try homeschooling are like that.
While not all homeschoolers are knowledgeable, the majority of them care about their children and try to do what's best for them.

Thanks for the link; it was helpful. Actually, I am somewhat familar with agnostaics as two of my older cousins are agnostics, one of them a Christian agnostic.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Christine,

How is one a "Christian agnostic"? That must be an interestingly broad view of both the terms. :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.