Votes: 13 43.3%
  • me again

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evangelion

Cirisme -

What Ev brought up is extra-Biblical commentary, and I try to ignore as much of that as possible.

Correction. What I brought up was a Hebrew lexicon. Big difference.

The Bible will interpret itself, we don't need commentaries.

OK, let's chuck the lexicons too. And the concordances. Any any other reference tool.

Now, I'd like to see how you "let the BIble interpret itself" with regard to this verse, Cirisme -

• Ezekiel 13:18.
    And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Woe to the women that sew pillows to all armholes, and make kerchiefs upon the head of every stature to hunt souls! Will ye hunt the souls of my people, and will ye save the souls alive that come unto you?
What does this mean, Cirisme? :)

drdeutsch

Evangelion,

You threw me through a loop there. I had never heard of "pillock" before, but now I see that it must be strictly Aussie-talk (perhaps even used in Britain, still?). I couldn't find a definition until I checked UrbanDictionary.com.

Thanks for adding to my vocabulary.
Dr. Deutsch

P

Pilgrimagain

Evangelion, you're going to have to write in Hebrew if we are not having any other tools.

P

Pilgrimagain

wait aminute, actually noe of us can if we are sticking to the Bible itsele. Cirsme will have to go find the original autograph and work it out from there.

P

Pilgrimagain

And again it was not a straw man, you said "I don't care what Jews think." That is disturbing because it was Jewish thought that helped write more than half of all Christian Scripture. Heck probaly a god 75 to 80 % is writeen from the Jewish mindset. If we can't get a grip on that mindset then we don't have a chance of getting it right.

C

cirisme

OK, let's chuck the lexicons too. And the concordances. Any any other reference tool.

I am referring to this little comment:

If (as you insist), it refers to a Messiah who would also be God, why didn't the Jews anticipate the arrival of a "God-man"?

It makes no difference what they were anticipating(they weren't anticipating Jesus at all, which only weakens whatever they said about the Messiah anyway).

Furhtermore,
In Jewish society, it was perfectly legitimate for a man (particularly if he was a king, or a judge) to be called "god" (elohim and/or el.)

Example, please? I will say that this is a half-truth. Daniel, for instance, has El in his name and he wasn't called God. No, his name means "God is my judge" not "God".

C

cirisme

And again it was not a straw man, you said "I don't care what Jews think."

Really? Where :eek:

What I said was this:

If, as you insist, I should care what the Jews thought, why didn't they see Jesus as Messiah?

A question that has gone unanswered. Furhtermore, the arguement that we should use the same interpretations for the Messiah as the Jews did is just plain stupid. If we did that, we'd all reject Jesus as Christ.

Evangelion

Cirisme -

It makes no difference what they were anticipating(they weren't anticipating Jesus at all, which only weakens whatever they said about the Messiah anyway).

OK, I'll humour you. Now all you have to do is prove that the people who did accept him, did so because they believed that he was God. Good luck! And don't forget to mention John 8:58, where the very Jews who "believed on him" suddenly picked up stones! ;)

Furhtermore,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Jewish society, it was perfectly legitimate for a man (particularly if he was a king, or a judge) to be called "god" (elohim and/or el.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example, please?

Exodus 7, Psalm 45, Psalm 82 and a few others I can't recall just now.

I will say that this is a half-truth.

Well, so much the worse for your argument. It just so happens to be true.

Daniel, for instance, has El in his name and he wasn't called God. No, his name means "God is my judge" not "God".

That's not what I'm talking about.

Evangelion

drdeutsch -

You threw me through a loop there. I had never heard of "pillock" before, but now I see that it must be strictly Aussie-talk (perhaps even used in Britain, still?). I couldn't find a definition until I checked UrbanDictionary.com.

It's a Brit expression which was imported to Australia via popular culture. :D :up:

P

Pilgrimagain

now I remember what I wanted to say. Cirisme, you seemto think that no Jews recognized Jesus for who he was. This not the case. Enough of them did to get a whole new sect of judaism underway.

THe rest of them were just to self centered to get it thought they were looking for it.

Jaltus

There were very few who got it, though, Pa. Most fo them were His closest friends, and even some of them did not get it.

After all, James and john were trying to call down lightening on people for not respecting Christ, not realizing the type of kingdom He was really building. it was not until post-resurrection that any of them really got it.

P

Pilgrimagain

but they got it, and the ones that were his closest friends became his friends because he invited them to be a part of his life which included his role as saviour.

Evangelion

Notice that during their preaching campaign, the apostles make no attempt to prove that Jesus is God. They don't even mention it.

Why?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.