The Movie Avatar Was Interesting And Thought Provoking.

JAGG

My friend Tom was suprised that I found the movie Avatar interesting and thought provoking. Tom found it to be "a tired old plot dressed up and looking gorgeous."

I replied: It was a tired old plot with regard to making the Na'vi into a typical victim group being exploited by the greedy capitalists, but this of course is standard Hollywood liberalism that is going to be themed into most of their movies. I totally ignore all that standard liberal criticism and focus only upon those elements of the movie that I like and admire.

I like science fiction and Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang as performers, so Avatar got my attention immediately. I thought the special effects were amazingly magnificent. I was fascinated by Pandora's wildlife and Pandora itself was quite the eye catcher, as was the Jake and Neytiri avatars.

Pandora's floating mountains (the "Hallelujah Mountains") was off the charts in my view, as was the Mountain Banshees (the Ikran) that became the "airplanes" of Jake and Neytiri and the other Na'vi.

I liked the soundtrack too, really good music.

Also the "performance capture" where James Cameron used small cameras on 6 inch booms attached to the performer's skull caps, in order to capture every detail of their facial expressions which was then downloaded to computers and later used in the animation of Jake and Neytiri's animated avatars, was all very fascinating to me.

"Looking gorgeous." Agreed.

Last edited: