ECT The Lord Jesus Christ, and Paul-Parallels

john w

Hall of Fame
Per 2 Timothy 2:2 KJV:

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

A faithful man, Charles H. Welch, taught me this, so I share FYE(For Your Edification)...

The Lord Jesus Christ, and Paul-Parallels

(bold is my emphasis)

".... Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,..."(Ephesians 3:1 KJV, Ephesians 4:1 KJV; 2 Timothy 1:8 KJV; Philemon 1:1 KJV, Philemon 1:9 KJV)

Notice Paul did not consider himself a prisoner of Rome, but of the Lord Jesus Christ. This is an object lesson/spiritual application the LORD God would have us to know.

"For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:..." Romans 11:13 KJV
_____

Parallels between the Lord Jesus Christ and His servant, minister, steward, Paul....Survey Acts 17:11 KJV:

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16 KJV

"Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews: And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ." Acts 17:1-3 KJV

"And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4 KJV
____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them." Luke 4:40 KJV

"And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him. So when this was done, others also, which had diseases in the island, came, and were healed: Who also honoured us with many honours; and when we departed, they laded us with such things as were necessary." Acts 28:8-10 KJV
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
The Lord Jesus Christ is charged before Pilate with perverting the nation, forbidding to give tribute to Caesar, and claiming He Himself was King:

"And the whole multitude of them arose, and led him unto Pilate. And they began to accuse him, saying, We found this fellow perverting the nation, and forbidding to give tribute to Caesar, saying that he himself is Christ a King." Luke 23:1-2 KJV

Paul is accused before Felix and Festus of sedition, and of speaking against Caesar; and, in Thessalonica, of teaching that there is another King-the Lord Jesus Christ:

"Whom Jason hath received: and these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus." Acts 17:7 KJV

"For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes:.." Acts 24:5 KJV

"While he answered for himself, Neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet against Caesar, have I offended any thing at all." Acts 25:8 KJV
______________________________________________________________________________________
"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy. And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words." Matthew 26:39-44 KJV

"And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me." 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 KJV
_________________________________________________________________________________________

The Lord Jesus Christ revealed to his disciples that He must go up to Jerusalem, that the prophets foretold His delivery to the Gentiles, foretold His shameful treatment, foretold His death and resurrection:

"Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again." Luke 18:31-33 KJV

Paul is warned by prophecy that at Jerusalem he will be bound and delivered into the hands of the Gentiles:
"And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles." Acts 21:11 KJV
________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Lord Jesus Christ is apprehended while in prayer in Gethsemane: Luke 22:47-52 KJV

Paul is apprehended while in the temple: Acts 21:27-30 KJV
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"And the men that held Jesus mocked him, and smote him. And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying, Prophesy, who is it that smote thee?" Luke 22:63-64 KJV

"And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth." Acts 23:2 KJV
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Lord Jesus Christ stands before Herod:

"And as soon as he knew that he belonged unto Herod's jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who himself also was at Jerusalem at that time." Luke 23:7 KJV

Paul stands before Herod:

"And when the governor had read the letter, he asked of what province he was. And when he understood that he was of Cilicia; I will hear thee, said he, when thine accusers are also come. And he commanded him to be kept in Herod's judgment hall." Acts 23:34-35 KJV; Acts chapter 26 KJV
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"And they cried out all at once, saying, Away with this man, ..." Luke 23:18 KJV

"But they cried out, Away with him, away with him,..." John 19:15 KJV

"For the multitude of the people followed after, crying, Away with him." Acts 21:36 KJV

"And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live." Acts 22:22 KJV

(Continued)

john w

Hall of Fame
Acts 19:10 KJV
And this continued by the space of two years; so that all they which dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.
2 Timothy 1:15 KJV
This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; [Paul]...
2 Timothy 3:13 KJV
But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

This shows the "church's" departure from early on...
Galatians 1:6 KJV
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from Him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

As Peter denied knowing Jesus Christ before He was crucified---there is a parallel as he seems to deny the gospel of Christ in Antioch, where Paul confronts him face-to-face.

Galatians 2:11 KJV
But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Galatians 2:14 KJV
But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all,
"If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?"

But, here is some good news for the members of the "body" of Christ:
2 Timothy 2:8-13 KJV
Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David, was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
It is a faithful saying: "For if we be dead with Him, we shall also live with Him:
If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him:
if we deny Him, He also will deny us:
If we believe not, yet He abideth faithful:
He cannot deny Himself."

(Continued)

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
Pilate attests to the Lord Jesus Christ's innocence:

"When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it." Matthew 27:24 KJV

"Then said Pilate to the chief priests and to the people, I find no fault in this man." Luke 23:4 KJV

"Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all." John 18:38 KJV

"Pilate therefore went forth again, and saith unto them, Behold, I bring him forth to you, that ye may know that I find no fault in him." John 19:4 KJV

"When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye him, and crucify him: for I find no fault in him." John 19:6 KJV

"Then Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify him." Mark 15:14 KJV

Agrippa and Festus attest to Paul's innocence:

"But when I found that he had committed nothing worthy of death, and that he himself hath appealed to Augustus, I have determined to send him." Acts 25:24 KJV

"And when they were gone aside, they talked between themselves, saying, This man doeth nothing worthy of death or of bonds. Then said Agrippa unto Festus, This man might have been set at liberty, if he had not appealed unto Caesar." Acts 26:31-32 KJV

And notice that one of "the malefactors," per Luke 23:39 KJV, says:

"And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss." Luke 23:41 KJV,

while Agrippa and Festus say "...This man doeth nothing worthy of death or of bonds..."
_____________________________________________________________________________________
The Lord Jesus Christ was forsaken by all of his disciples at His trial:

"But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled." Matthew 26:56 KJV,see also Mark 14:15 KJV

Paul was forsaken by all men at his first defence:

"At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge." 2 Timothy 4:16 KJV
__________________________________________________________________________________________
The Lord Jesus Christ's life is plotted against by the chief priests and scribes:

"And the chief priests and scribes sought how they might kill him; for they feared the people." Luke 22:2 KJV

Paul's life is plotted against by the Jews:

"And when it was day, certain of the Jews banded together, and bound themselves under a curse, saying that they would neither eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. And they were more than forty which had made this conspiracy. And they came to the chief priests and elders, and said, We have bound ourselves under a great curse, that we will eat nothing until we have slain Paul." Acts 23:12-14 KJV
____________________________________________________________________________________________
The Lord Jesus Christ's public ministry is ended when He is seized by the Jews:

"Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him,,,," John 18:12 KJV

Paul's public ministry is ended when he is seized by the Jews:

"And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him, Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place. (For they had seen before with him in the city Trophimus an Ephesian, whom they supposed that Paul had brought into the temple.) And all the city was moved, and the people ran together: and they took Paul, and drew him out of the temple: and forthwith the doors were shut." Acts 21:27-30 KJV

(Continued)

john w

Hall of Fame
The Lord Jesus Christ could have been released:

"Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin. And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar." John 19:10-12 KJV

Paul could have been released:

"Then said Agrippa unto Festus, This man might have been set at liberty, if he had not appealed unto Caesar." Acts 26:32 KJV
________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Lord Jesus Christ is falsely accused by the Jews:

"But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses, .....And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee? .....Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death." Matthew 26:60-66 KJV

"And there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying, ........Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses? Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death." Mark 14:57 KJV, Mark 14:63 KJV, Mark 14:64 KJV

"The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God." John 10:33 KJV

Paul is falsely accused by the Jews:

"Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place." Acts 21:28 KJV
_________________________________________________________________________________________

And hence, Paul can pen that he suffers "... these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed...."(2 Timothy 1:12 KJV), as it is written:

"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;..." Philippians 3:10 KJV

"Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:.." Colossians 1:24 KJV

john w

Hall of Fame
Luke 4 KJV
16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Acts 17 KJV
2 and Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Luke 4 KJV
29 and rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.

Acts 14 KJV
19 And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.

___
Luke 18 KJV

32 For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:

Acts 21 KJV
11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul’s girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

__
Luke 19 KJV
47 And he taught daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him,

Acts 21 KJV

31 And as they went about to kill him, tidings came unto the chief captain of the band, that all Jerusalem was in an uproar

john w

Hall of Fame
The Lord Jesus Christ was thought to be insane:

Mark 3:21 KJV

And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

Paul was thought to be insane:

Acts 26:24 KJV

And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.

John "MAD wacko" W