ECT The law, the chase and kacks away

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
These obeyers of commandments, this is what they are, they are secret sin lovers [and every now and again they break loose altogether] they are playing "chase me" with the devil, "see if you can tempt me with my fav fleshpot"

They resist, [of course] and they resist, as any blushing maiden would, then it's kacks away, all restraint is thrown off and they are being seduced by their pet sin, their darling.

This is the very essence of how the law works, it enlarges the sin, the temptation, the thing forbidden holding it up before the eyes like a beautiful shining red apple.

It isn't that the law is evil, it is as Paul says the very wickedness of sin which finds occasion in the law.

I am so glad I discovered this little game early....let me be brutally honest, can I be honest? the "obeyers" don't want to give up this little game, they do not want to give up the setting themselves up to be tempted and seduced until all restraint thrown off they plunge headlong into their darling sin, the sweet surrender.

They do not really want the victorious Christian life. This victory is available to them at the cross and the in the indwelling life of Jesus Christ, in His name.

But first you have to totally and thoroughly understand that for us there is no law, no forbidding, we have been set FREE. The law is for sinners and for backsliders...IF you understand it then sin loses all its power over you, because the temptation is gone.

The game of "chase me" with the devil is finished, you recognise his wiles and when he knocks at YOUR door you send Jesus to answer him.

Last edited:

Bradley D

The Law was meant to make one aware of their sin. Many came to believe they could obey the law and work their way into heaven. Only Jesus Christ was capable on being sinless. Only through Christ's sacrifice are our sins remembered no more so we can stand before God.

revpete

These obeyers of commandments, this is what they are, they are secret sin lovers [and every now and again they break loose altogether] they are playing "chase me" with the devil, "see if you can tempt me with my fav fleshpot"

They resist, [of course] and they resist, as any blushing maiden would, then it's kacks away, all restraint is thrown off and they are being seduced by their pet sin, their darling.

This is the very essence of how the law works, it enlarges the sin, the temptation, the thing forbidden holding it up before the eyes like a beautiful shining red apple.

It isn't that the law is evil, it is as Paul says the very wickedness of sin which finds occasion in the law.

I am so glad I discovered this little game early....let me be brutally honest, can I be honest? the "obeyers" don't want to give up this little game, they do not want to give up the setting themselves up to be tempted and seduced until all restraint thrown off they plunge headlong into their darling sin.

They do not really want the victorious Christian life. This victory is available to them at the cross and the in the indwelling life of Jesus Christ, in His name.

But first you have to totally and thoroughly understand that for us there is no law, no forbidding, we have been set FREE. The law is for sinners and for backsliders...IF you understand it then sin loses all its power over you, because the temptation is gone.

The game of "chase me" with the devil is finished, you recognise his wiles and when he knocks at YOUR door you send Jesus to answer him.

A question: In what way is The Law (given to the Jews) meant for Christian backsides?

Pete 👤

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The Law was meant to make one aware of their sin. Many came to believe they could obey the law and work their way into heaven. Only Jesus Christ was capable on being sinless. Only through Christ's sacrifice are our sins remembered no more so we can stand before God.

Sin for the saved one is quite dormant in the flesh, just as our spirits were slain in trespasses and sins but are now through the regeneration brought ALIVE to God and alive to righteousness, so the dragon of sin is slain, we are DEAD to sin. It is there in our members but it has nothing to respond to....unless we make it respond to "thou shalt" and "thou shalt not" the flesh is and will ALWAYS be in a state of total rebellion against God's commandments. It is this furious rebellion which rises up in us forbidding us what we would or commanding us what we would not that produces the temptation power.

The written code has been nailed to the cross as surely as our sin was. So the power of temptation is gone.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
A question: In what way is The Law (given to the Jews) meant for Christian backsides?

Pete ��

They place themselves under the law, I'll tell you how it happens.

They are saved with great joy and satisfaction they join the choir of the redeemed "salvation to our God and to the Lamb which sitteth upon the throne"

And this goes on for a while, mebbe days or week...then the tempter comes....and he says "thou art saved are you? then why look you with desire for such and such? don't you know it is forbidden?"

In a moment they are floored, overcome with temptation. It is like a wrestling match fought on both sides with deadly earnest each looking for the advantage which will throw the opponent.....I will tell you, the devil will always win this fight, he has always won this fight...except with Christ.

IF we have learned that for us the law is dead he loses his power to tempt us, for us there is no "thou shalt, thou shalt not" we can answer him

"Get thee gone Satan my life is hidden in Christ" or "I live no longer I but Christ liveth in me" The devil knows he is defeated he has to back off. RESIST the devil, draw nigh unto God and He will draw nigh unto thee and the devil will FLEE"

It is so GOOD to see the devil's backside...have you seen it?

Of course he is not done and will wait for an opportune moment.

revpete

They are saved with great joy and satisfaction they join the choir of the redeemed "salvation to our God and to the Lamb which sitteth upon the throne"

And this goes on for a while, mebbe days or week...then the tempter comes....and he says "thou art saved are you? then why look you with desire for such and such? don't you know it is forbidden?"

In a moment they are floored, overcome with temptation. It is like a wrestling match fought on both sides with deadly earnest each looking for the advantage which will throw the opponent.....I will tell you, the devil will always win this fight, he has always won this fight...except with Christ.

IF we have learned that for us the law is dead he loses his power to tempt us, for us there is no "thou shalt, thou shalt not" we can answer him

"Get thee gone Satan my life is hidden in Christ" or "I live no longer I but Christ liveth in me" The devil knows he is defeated he has to back off. RESIST the devil, draw nigh unto God and He will draw nigh unto thee and the devil will FLEE"

I'm glad that you said that the devil is not done with us. He departed from our Lord for a season. He will never give up while we are in this body. You make a good point though!

Pete 👤

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I'm glad that you said that the devil is not done with us. He departed from our Lord for a season. He will never give up while we are in this body. You make a good point though!

Pete ��

The point being that all during this temptation the Lord and our salvation joy seems light years away and when they succumb to temptation of course their day is turned to night, and of course the devil comes along with his whip and whips on us, our joy is gone...even we take the whip out of the devil's hand an start beating ourselves up.

Now there is a decision to be made, a choice.

We can either come back to Calvary and the cross or we can go back to the strict observance of the law. Depending on what choice we make will be whether we plump on the grace side of the argument or the law and works side.

If we want our first joy, our first love to be restored we MUST come back to Calvary...the CROSS is 100 per cent victory.

The law is all onerous duty and flogging and failure. Yet they are saved, but somewhat incapacitated and not very fruitful.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The devil's WHOLE business is to get us off Calvary ground, to get us looking to ourselves instead of Christ through who alone is redemption.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Pete ��

He comes to us most usually through the commandments.

Ro.7.5-7

For when we were in he flesh [Ro.7. is speaking about when we were in the flesh]
the motions of sin, which were by the law, did work in our members bringing forth fruit unto death.

But now we are DELIVERED from the law, that being dead wherein we were held that we should serve in newness of spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Danoh

An observation...I've noticed a recurrent theme in your posts is a tendency to emphasize understandings that are Charismatic in their sense of what is going on in the Believers reality.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
He comes to us most usually through the commandments.

Ro.7.5-7

For when we were in he flesh [Ro.7. is speaking about when we were in the flesh]
the motions of sin, which were by the law, did work in our members bringing forth fruit unto death.

But now we are DELIVERED from the law, that being dead wherein we were held that we should serve in newness of spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

You use the law without defining what law you are speaking about.

LA

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Peter said "why put ye God to the test, putting a yoke upon the Gentiles which neither we or our forefathers were able to bear"

It is clear Peter is not speaking about circumcision for that was not a yoke the Jews were unable to bear. Pete was speaking about the commandments.

Paul said that the handwriting which was against us have been nailed to the cross, he can only have meant the 10 commandments.

James made it absolutely clear for all time that the Gentiles were not to be subject the law of Moses, he sent a letter to Antioch.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
To seek to be saved or made righteous by means of obedience to commandments is itself a major departure from faith...Hebrews was written to warn against it, the epistle to the Galatians was written to warn against it.

glorydaz

I am so glad I discovered this little game early....let me be brutally honest, can I be honest? the "obeyers" don't want to give up this little game, they do not want to give up the setting themselves up to be tempted and seduced until all restraint thrown off they plunge headlong into their darling sin, the sweet surrender.

Right you are....thus their obsession with sin and most often the sin they imagine others must be committing. Why do they imagine others are committing all those horrible sins? Because they, themselves, are being so tempted every moment of the day. They are left to assume others are as they.

glorydaz

Pete 👤

All men have a conscience. All men know right from wrong. Romans 1:19-20KJV

Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; )​

When Paul talks about "coveting" in Romans 7:7KJV, it covers all of God's law...even that created in (shown) us via our conscience. Remember when Pharaoh knew it was wrong to covet another man's wife when Abraham tried to pass Sarah off as his sister? We know it's wrong to kill, steal, covet what doesn't belong to us....thus we are without excuse.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Amen to that Brad