The Holy spirit or just holy spirit?

Jerry Shugart

It is not possible that the following translation is correct:

"And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit."(John20:22).

The Lord Jesus had not yet gone away to heaven, and He said that the Holy spirit will not come unto the disciples until He departed:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you" (Jn.16:7).

So John 20;22 is a mis-translation. here is a correct translation:

"And saying this, He exhales and is saying to them, "Get holy spirit!" (Jn.20:22; CLV).

if there is no definite article ('the') preceding the Greek words translated "holy spirit" then the reference is not the Third Person of the Godhead.

OZOS

Jerry is a disciple of A.E Knoch, the clown who translated his own version of the Bible (CLV) :LOL:

Jerry Shugart

RightDivider said; "Ýou continue to amaze with your hatred of the KJV."

i didn't even quote the KJV. If you think that the correct translation is "THE Holy Spirit" then answer the points which I made.

Jerry Shugart

OZOS said: "No one does a better job of proving that you are in error than you."

You certainly have not proven that what I said is in error.

Jerry Shugart

With what I said in mind, then consider the following correct translation:

"Now this He said concerning the spirit which those believing in Him were about to get. For not as yet was holy spirit given, for Jesus is not as yet glorified" (Jn.7:39; CLV).

What was this "holy spirit"and when was it was given on the day of Pentecost:

"And suddenly there came out of heaven a blare, even as of a violent, carrying blast, and it fills the whole house where they were sitting." And seen by them were dividing tongues as if of fire, and one is seated on each one of them." And they are all filled with holy spirit, and they begin to speak in different languages, according as the spirit gave them to declaim." (Acts 2:2-4; CLV),

the "Holy spirit" Was the ability to speak in different languages.

Jerry Shugart

A question for OZOS: "Is the following translation correct when it indicates that John the Baptist received the Holy Spirit when he was in his mother's womb?":

"For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb" (Lk.1:15; NKJV).

OZOS

Before the cross, many in the old testament were given the Holy Spirit, including David.

"Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me."

So, which position are you arguing here, or is it that you enjoy contradicting yourself again?

The Lord Jesus had not yet gone away to heaven, and He said that the Holy spirit will not come unto the disciples until He departed:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you" (Jn.16:7).
versus
"For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb" (Lk.1:15; NKJV).

Because you randomly rip verses out of the Bible and do not read the entire word of God, you continue to expose yourself as a double-minded man who is dramatically unstable.

Jerry Shugart

SOZOS said: "So, which position are you arguing here, or is it that you enjoy contradicting yourself again?"

i asked you a question and you did not answer it. Again: Is the following translation correct when it indicates that John the Baptist received the Holy Spirit when he was in his mother's womb?":

OZOS

i asked you a question and you did not answer it.
I did answer it. You are either blind or stupid. I said he did receive the Holy Spirit, but like David not like those who are born of God. No one is born of God (has eternal life), UNTIL after Jesus has died and been raised, and the Holy Spirit is given to dwell in those who believe. Because you fail to understand basic soteriology, you run around like a lunatic, pulling verses out of context to support the cult you follow.

Right Divider

Body part
RightDivider said; "Ýou continue to amaze with your hatred of the KJV."

i didn't even quote the KJV. If you think that the correct translation is "THE Holy Spirit" then answer the points which I made.
You frequently quote the KJV to explain why it is wrong.

Many translations use "the holy spirit" for that verse. I guess that you're smarter than them all. :ROFLMAO: 😂

Even Young's Literal Translation (YLT) says "Receive the Holy Spirit".

Other translations that use "Receive the Holy Spirit": NASB, NIV, RSV, ASV, ESV, ISV, NKJV, NRSV.

Jerry Shugart

RightDivider said: "Many translations use "the holy spirit" for that verse. I guess that you're smarter than them all."

Why do you refuse to address the points which I made?

Jerry Shugart

A question for OZOS: "Do you think that the followig translation is correct?:

"And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit."(John20:22).

OZOS

I believe God's word.
You believe a man named A.E. Knoch.

Because you're a moron, and you get tripped up by terms, just as Knoch did, you think that the word "receive" here implies the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (born of God), when the Holy Spirit was present throughout the OT on many who had faith in God and were not yet "born of God". To be "born of God" (born of the Spirit) is to have died with Christ and to be raised to new life, a new creation, "one spirit with Him". Those who have been crucified with Christ, no longer live, and the life they live now, is His life. The disciples had not been crucified with Christ and subsequently baptized into His body by the Holy Spirit, and are not born of God, thus not having received eternal life.

Jerry Shugart

OZOS said: "you think that the word "receive" here implies the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (born of God), when the Holy Spirit was present throughout the OT on many who had faith in God and were not yet "born of God".

i do not think that. why do you speak of things from the OT since by the time when the lord Jesus said the following the New Testament had already started:

You remain in a state of confusion. Or perhaps you think that the lord Jesus'words spoken at John 20:22 were spoken during OT times?

Right Divider

Body part
OZOS said: "you think that the word "receive" here implies the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (born of God), when the Holy Spirit was present throughout the OT on many who had faith in God and were not yet "born of God".

i do not think that. why do you speak of things from the OT since by the time when the lord Jesus said the following the New Testament had already started:

You remain in a state of confusion. Or perhaps you think that the lord Jesus'words spoken at John 20:22 were spoken during OT times?
I thought that is was "Get holy spirit". 🤪 🥱
Now you like THE holy spirit?
Make up your mind Jerry, you're making us dizzy with your spin.

OZOS

:ROFLMAO: What a fool you are! First of all, a covenant (testament / will) does not go into effect, until the one who makes it dies. This explains why you are confused about everything.

And here is the nail in your coffin...

"And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance. For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator."

The writer of Hebrews puts to death your stupidity about people having eternal life prior to the cross and resurrection, and your ignorance about when the new testament started.