The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

HopeofGlory

Evangelion,

I'm having a difficult time understanding what you believe. You make many statements and after a few exchanges you then change your position and try to explain it away. Try thinking before you speak!

I asked:
Do you understand, believe, and accept the book of acts in that it applies directly to you as it did to Israel at Pentecost?

Your response:
Yes, I do. Especially Pentecost. (Baptism for the remission of sins.)

I said:
If you believe the Pentecostal doctrine applies to you then why do you not do the things that He says to do????

Your response:
You are over-generalising. Let's take an example:

Acts 2:14.
But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and spake forth unto them, saying, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and give ear unto my words.

Obviously I am not one of the "men of Judaea", nor am I one of those who "dwell at Jerusalem." Peter's words, therefore, must be taken in context. There are some things which are intended only for his present audience, and some things which are intended for any man (or woman) of any era. Repentance and baptism are universal principles, whcih apply to anyone who hears the Word of God.

My reply:
You're getting close to the truth!

These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: Matt. 10:5 (KJV)
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Matt. 10:6 (KJV)

Compare to:

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; Gal. 2:7 (KJV)
(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) Gal. 2:8 (KJV)

You asked:
So I guess my question to you is this - why have you not repented and been baptised?

My reply:
I believe Jesus is the Son of God and I have been baptized by the Spirit into the body by faith in the new testament.

You asked:
What's your point? Are you trying to tell me that the eunuch was baptised without faith, and without understanding?

I said:
What the eunuch said does not "prove" that he understood that faith in the shed blood of Christ was for remission of sins.

You said:
Ridiculous! The book of Acts tells us that Philip explained this prophecy to the eunuch.

My reply:
You're over generalizing!

You said:
We are specifically told that he "preached unto him Jesus." I want you to tell me what you think Philip told him by way of explaining this prophecy to the eunuch and preached unto him Jesus. I want you to tell me what you think Philip would have mentioned all of these when he explained the prophecy to the eunuch. You are trying to avoid my argument instead of addressing it.

My reply:
If you want to know what Phillip told the eunuch then simply read the scriptures.:rolleyes:

I said:
Grace is not possible without faith in the shed blood of Christ for remission of sins.

Your response:
Agreed.

My reply:
Now address the argument and prove the new testament was revealed by the apostles at Pentecost or by Phillip to the eunuch or that Isaiah 53 contains it.

Read this:

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 1 Cor. 15:1 (KJV)
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 1 Cor. 15:2 (KJV)
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 1 Cor. 15:3 (KJV)
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 1 Cor. 15:4 (KJV)

Compare to:

But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. Gal. 1:11 (KJV)
For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. Gal. 1:12 (KJV)

You said:
Straw man. The Holy Spirit told Philip to go to the eunuch. He went to the eunuch for the express purpose of converting him. Are you trying to tell me that Philip failed? Are you trying to tell me that God would send Philip to the eunuch for the purpose of saving him, and then permit him to leave despite not having failed in his commission? Your argument is utterly nonsensical. You are begging the question instead of answering it.

My reply:

Two different commissions:

Gospel of the circumcision= under the law + 12 apostles did not teach of His death for remission (New testament) + water baptism for remission.

Gospel of the uncircumcision= not under law + Paul did not teach water baptism for remission (Old testament) + faith in His shed blood for remission.

The 12 believed their commissiom was to water baptize.

Paul was not commissioned to water baptize.

I said:
How do we recieve remission of sins?

Your response:
By a faithful confession of our sins, and submission to baptism.

My reply:
Wrong!

Without faith in the shed blood of Christ there is no remission of sins.

You said:
Straw man and a false equivocation. Are you telling me that we don't have to repent in order to be saved? Is that what you're telling me? You are picking and choosing your Scriptures without any reference to context. This is deceitful and illogical.

Earlier exchange:
I said:
Grace is not possible without faith in the shed blood of Christ
for remission of sins.

You said:
Agreed.

My reply:

You're deceitful and illogical unless you "now" believe we are not saved by grace. Explain!

Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; Rom. 3:25 (KJV)
To declare, I say, """at this time""" his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. Rom. 3:26 (KJV)

You said:
Romans 6:3-4.
Or are ye ignorant that all we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
We were buried therefore with him through baptism unto death: that like as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also might walk in newness of life.

My reply:
Read Jerry's post on Romans 6.

It's a Spiritual baptism.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is '''neither male nor female:'''' for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Gal. 3:28 (KJV)

When you were water baptized did you become a eunuch?

You said:
This is a clear reference to water baptism. "Spirit baptism" (or whatever you people call it these days) is not the "baptism" referred to here. How do we know? Because Paul says that the baptism of which he speaks, is symbolic of death and resurrection. Only water baptism can fulfill this typology.

Read this:
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Cor. 2:14 (KJV)

You said:
The shed blood of Christ for remission of sins is taken for granted in verse 38.

My reply:
The shed blood of Christ should never be "taked for granted".

You said:
Don't be obtuse. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

Do you read your Bible at all, or do you simply sit on your couch and watch TBN every Sunday?

My reply:
Your imbecilic remarks mean nothing.

In Christ
Craig

agape

Originally posted by Evangelion
I don't think you quite understand the significance of my question, Agape. The point I am making is that only water baptism can truly represent the death, burial and resurrection of a believer.
I did not see where you made any specific point other than your asking someone to: "explain to me how "baptism of the Spirit" can fulfill the typology of death, burial and resurrection on which our covenant relationship with Christ is predicated?" I "specifically answered your question "with" scripture reference as you requested. I don't understand why you are closing your eyes to the very scriptures that show the great significance and importance of being "baptized in the holy spirit."
Observe:

[*]You descend into the water (death.)

[*]You remain under the water for a moment (burial.)

[*]You rise from the water (resurrection.)

Spirit baptism which "far" greater than "water baptism":
Please observe:

When Christ died, YOU DIED WITH HIM (Death) (Romans 6:4)

When Christ was buried, YOU WERE BURIED WITH HIM. (Burial) (Romans 6:4)

When Christ arose, YOU AROSE WITH HIM (Resurrection - NEW LIFE) (Romans 6:4,5)

Roman 6:4 - Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:5 - For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:

NONE of the above can NEVER, nor WILL EVER be accomplished with water baptism which was ONLY a "type" of the greater and "permanent" spirit baptism which came WITH CHRIST.

Acts 1:5:
For John truly baptized with water; BUT ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
...the only baptism by which we can be "buried with Christ", is water baptism.
To be honest, Evangelion, what you just stated cannot be found in the scriptures. It does not say John's baptism is the only baptism we can be buried with Christ. To the contrary: It is ONLY in "spirit baptism that we are buried with Christ as is found in Romans 6:4.
So for those who advocate "Spirit baptism" over water baptism - how can "Spirit baptism" fulfil the necessary symbolism of death, burial and resurrection?
I showed you how by proof text in my previous post to you and in this post. So far there hasn't been any "proof text" from your side.
Perhaps it's time to ask a few questions. I'll present the "water baptism" side, and I invite a "Spirit baptism" person to fill in the blanks on his/her side:
I have already shown you through scripture. Water baptism" doesn't even come close to what "spirit baptism" can accomplished and do IN the believer.
Identification with Christ - his death, burial and resurrection - is made possible by the two simple rituals that he instituted. One of these was the partaking of the memorial emblems - bread and wine. The other was water baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit for the remission of sins.
"In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost??? It does not state that our identification with Christ is "made" possible by partaking of any memorial emblems such as bread and wine or water baptism. We are to drink wine and break bread in REMEMBRANCE OF HIM and what he accomplished for us through his death and resurrection. Also, the so-called name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, is never carried out by the Apostles. They spirit baptized in the name of Jesus Christ only.

Water baptism is obsolete. It went out with the OC. Spirit baptism came in with the NC and there has never been any other baptism outside of the spirit baptism because it brought us our perfect and complete salvation. It brought us eternal life with God and with His Son, Jesus Christ. As Christ told Nicodemus:

John 3:5-7:
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

(7) Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again

"YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN"--Water baptism does not get anyone "born again." To be born again is to be baptised in the holy spirit. Water baptism does not give one the "gift of holy spirit." When one confesses with his mouth the Lord Jesus and believes in his heart that God raised him from the dead, he is saved and born again of God's Spirit at the same time. Peter needed only to speak the Word of salvation to Cornelius and his family and they were born again of God's Spirit which they proved when they spoke in tongues, which is a manifestation of the gift of holy spirit. They were both saved and born again when they believed the gospel of the good news of salvation , which the Apostle Peter preached to them.

The difference between water and spirit baptism is so obvious, with the emphasis being place on the "spirit baptism"...not on "water" baptism.

Evangelion

Agape, I showed you a step-by-step comparison - down, under the water, and rising again. You did not show me a step-by-step comparison. That is precisely what I'm looking for.

Thus:
  • What is the "Spirit baptism" equivalent of dying?
  • What is the "Spirit baptism" equivalent of burial?
  • What is the "Spirit baptism" equivalent of resurrection?
All of these types have to be fulfilled - and only water baptism literally acts them out in the way that they were intended.

I have no idea why you keep referring to water baptism as "John's baptism." He wasn't the only one who baptised in water. Water baptism for the remission of sins was commanded by Christ and carried out by his disciples, on his behalf.

Last edited:

Evangelion

Hope Of Glory, you'll get another response from me just as soon as (a) you go back and answer all of my questions, (b) you go back and address all of my arguments, (c) you stop begging the question, and (d) you start citing Scripture to prove your points. :rolleyes:

If you don't know what to say, just ask the Holy Spirit and write whatever "he" tells you to write. You never know - it might even work.

drbrumley

Originally posted by Bob Hill.

You are at a gathering of friends. The topic of religion comes up. One of your friends, Mary, says you have to be baptized to be saved. She quotes Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Mk 16:16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Another friend, John, says you don’t have to be baptized to be saved, but if you became a believer, you would follow the Lord in baptism as an outward sign of an inner work. He quotes Acts 16:31 So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Then he says “This shows that the only thing a person must do to be saved is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.” Mary disagrees. She shows that water baptism was even necessary in the epistles. She shows you 1 Peter 3:20,21 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us – baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

But John shows you Ephesians 2:8,9. “It is not of works”. He says “Baptism would be a work. Baptism should come after you’re saved, but it doesn’t save you!”

Well, what should you believe? Who is right? Both are right, and both are wrong. Let’s look at the scriptures and see why this is true. The gospel is first proclaimed when John the Baptist begins his ministry. His message was, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Mat 3:2)! He preached “the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Mark 1:3). What? He preached that a person had to be water baptized to be saved? Yes! But let’s look at some important methods of Bible study before we continue:

1. Find out who is speaking.

2. Find out to whom they are speaking.

3. Find out what dispensation[1] it is being said under.

4. Find out where the passage you are considering belongs in the whole picture presented in the Bible.

To whom was John the Baptist sent? It says in John 1:31 that John was sent to Israel, the Jews: “I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.” Well, that’s pretty clear. John came to Israel to show them that Jesus was the Messiah, the Christ. It was at a time when God was only dealing with the Jews. The method of salvation was repent and be baptized for your sins. This was the message of the kingdom gospel. A dynasty had been promised to King David a thousand years before, in 2 Samuel 7:12, “When your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.” Luke 16:16 shows when the kingdom gospel, the good news about the kingdom, was first proclaimed. “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.”

Did Christ and the apostles proclaim the same gospel that John preached? Yes, for it says that they did in Matthew 10:5-10 and Mark 1:14,15.

Mat 10:5-10 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, 10 nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.

Mk 1:14,15 Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”

Now, notice that baptism was linked with this proclamation of the kingdom. The message they proclaimed was the good news of the circumcision[2] (Gal 2:7-9).

How many different kinds of baptism were there when John started his ministry? Only one. Was it necessary for salvation? Yes. We even find Jesus saying to Nicodemus in John 3:5 that if a man wanted to enter into the kingdom of God, he must be born of water and of the Spirit. This requirement of water baptism was in accord with the message John began and the apostles continued after Christ’s resurrection, ascension, and the day of Pentecost. Christ commanded the Eleven in Mark 16:15,16, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” Peter insisted on the same requirement ten days later in Acts 2:38. “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

We see that it was necessary for them to be water baptized before they would receive the Holy Spirit. So now after Pentecost, with the addition of Holy Spirit baptism, for the first time there were two baptisms. Water baptism was necessary for salvation. Then, Holy Spirit baptism took place. From the context of verses 22 and 39 we see that this happened while God was still dealing with Israel. Peter was only speaking to Israel in 22, and he was referring to God’s promise to Israel in 39.

Next, something very important happened. The Apostle Paul was saved. We will not go into the differences in Paul’s salvation, although it appears that Paul was saved under the same message Peter preached in Acts 2. Acts 22:16 says, “And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.” Because God had started a new dispensation with Paul (Gal 1:11-2:9; Eph 3:1-9), all kinds of different things began to happen. Many dramatic changes took place to show that God had changed dispensations.

1. Peter got a vision in Acts 10 which showed that Israel had been set aside. They were no longer God’s special people because the vision showed the law of clean and unclean animals was set aside (Acts 10:9-16; Lev 20:24-26).

2. Peter was sent to a Gentile and told by the Holy Spirit to doubt nothing (Acts 10:20).

3. The most significant event was a dispensational sign from God that something had changed when Peter went to the Gentiles. When they believed, the Holy Spirit interrupted Peter’s message before Peter could tell them to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. In fact, the Holy Spirit fell on all the Gentiles while Peter was still preaching. The Jews who accompanied Peter were amazed.

What had changed? God had started a new program when He saved Paul. However, since God would only reveal the new message to the Apostle Paul, Peter was still preaching the same message he had always preached (Acts 10:34-43). Let’s review the situation at this point of our investigation.

1. At first there was only one baptism, John’s. It was necessary for salvation.

2. Then things started changing when Paul was saved.

3. The Holy Spirit fell on Gentiles before they were water baptized. Remember, water baptism was a sign to Jews to show Christ to them.

Sometime during his second missionary journey after he had visited Corinth, the Apostle Paul told the body of Christ about the baptisms which they knew of in this manner: “I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius . . . . For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel” (1 Cor 1:14,17 Read in context.). In the same epistle, he wrote, “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body; whether Jews or Greeks” (1 Cor 12:13). So, water baptism had changed from being the only baptism, and necessary for salvation, to a ritual which had faded away.

Next, another very important incident happened. God finished showing Israel that they had been set aside. He had done this in a progressive manner which reached its conclusion in the end of Acts. It started in Acts 13:46, continued in Acts 18:6, and was concluded in Acts 28:28.

After Israel had been shown that they had been set aside, Paul was inspired by God to write Ephesians. In Ephesians 4:3-6, Paul wrote about the unity of the Spirit. He was writing about God’s dealings with Christians today. He wrote, “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism.” It doesn’t say two baptisms! It says there “is one baptism”? Yes, that’s right. Which one is it then? It must be Spirit baptism since the Holy Spirit is still baptizing and sealing members into the body of Christ (1 Co 12:13).

Well then, we can see that the gospel message started out with one baptism, water. This was necessary for salvation. It progressed to two: water baptism first, then, Holy Spirit baptism. The water baptism was still necessary for salvation. Finally, in this dispensation, it returned to one, Holy Spirit, which is now necessary for salvation. After the rapture of the body of Christ before the tribulation, the circumcision gospel will be in place again, and water baptism will become necessary for salvation again (1 Pet 3:18-22). So, both Mary and John would be right and wrong. Therefore, we must always search the Scriptures to see what is right dispensationally.

JustAChristian

Pardon My "But-ins"

Pardon My "But-ins"

Originally posted by HopeofGlory
Evangelion,

Craig

The preaching of the ONE gospel (Col. 1:6,10) was to begin at Jerusalem.

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

It was to apply to ALL NATIONS. ALL NATIONS includes but is not exclusive to the JEWS. Jesus spoke to the quorum of apostles...

Acts 1:8 "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

The apostles preached the MYSTERY, the Gospel

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Paul did not preach to ALL men, but the apostles preached to ALL NATIONS

"...If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister" Col. 1:23).

Conclusion:

1. Apostles commissioned to go into all the earth to preach the gospel.

2. Was to begin the preaching at Jerusalem.

3. All the apostles preached one gospel. (Rom 1:16; Col. 1:23, Eph. 4:4)

4. This was preached into all the earth. (Col 1:23).

5. The selfsame gospel will save those that believe and obey (Mark 16:16).

JustAChristian

Evangelion

Same old broken record from the Dispys... :rolleyes: drbrumely - believe it or not, Dispensationalism is not the answer to everything, and it is not a universally-accepted position. :p

Evangelion

Hey, that was a great summary, J.A.C. :up: I wish people wouldn't resort to "gnat and camel" tactics when they come to study the Bible.

That's the sort of thing which leads to Dispy-ism, Futurism, and OSAS. :rolleyes:

agape

Evangelion,

Ephesians 1:13:
In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.

"AFTER" that you heard the WORD, OF TRUTH, the gospel of YOUR SALVATION; in whom ALSO AFTER YE BELIEVED, WERE SEALED WITH that HOLY SPIRIT OF PROMISE.

In whom [Christ] you Gentiles also, having heard the Word of Truth which is the gospel of your salvation, life, wholeness, and in him, Christ, you Gentiles also having believed, were sealed with the promised holy spirit.

They could not be "sealed" with the holy spirit if they did not receive the holy spirit by "spirit baptism" in the first place!

Verse 14 explains verse 13 more fully.

Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

(which is the earnest, token, guarantee, of our, Israel and Gentiles, marked off, encircled inheritance, in this life and until we completely enter into and take possession of our specially marked off treasure, our full inheritance), unto the honor of God's glory.

Boy, Evangelion you are really grabbing scriptures and taking them way out context and truth to make your point which does not exist in the scriptures. I am really surprised at you. :(

Btw, JustAChristian only "adds" "to errors you have made thus far.

Evangelion

Look, Agape - I am not disputing the fact that these people received the "seal of the Holy Spirit." You can have as many "seals of the Holy Spirit" as you like. Heck, you can have more than seals. You can have "walruses of the Holy Spirit", for all I care. :rolleyes:

What I am disputing is the relevance of "Spirit baptism" to the symbolic acts of death, burial, and resurrection. Water baptism has a parallel to all three stages. "Spirit baptism" does not. Now, you have asserted that "Spirit baptism" is the "one baptism" through which we are "buried in Christ." This being the case, the onus is on you to prove that "Spirit baptism" fulfils the three symbolic acts of death, burial and resurrection. How are these mirrored in "Spirit baptism"? Please address this issue. It is of vital importance.

If you think I am taking Scriptures out of context, I am more than willing to discuss your concerns. Please list the proof texts which you think I have lifted out of their respective contexts, and explain where you think they belong - and why. This will enable you to construct a systematic rebuttal.

I am also disappointed to see that we disagree on the question of baptism, but (a) life is full of disappointment, (b) it comes in many forms, and (c) we must learn to live with it. :(

Time for bed. See you all tomorrow. :up:

Last edited:

drbrumley

Evan,

Same old broken record from the Dispys... drbrumely - believe it or not, Dispensationalism is not the answer to everything, and it is not a universally-accepted position.

Never said it was Evan.

and it is not a universally-accepted position

True, but neither is christianity.

c.moore

quote: c.moore
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You ask me about dead works is this faith,"but" you must first study what faith is to get the revelation, why wer beleive faith alone is the key to salvation, and sence we have the key, we use the key to work to go through the door, but faith we do have , and the key of salvation we do already have, so if you have this what will stop us for wanting to use this key,even if it involves work to open the door.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote brother Kevin
But don't you see, c.moore, that unless you actually use that key and go through the door, that that key won't do you any good until you do that? Same with faith. It doesn't do any good to have faith in Christ if you don't do what He says.

Quote c.moore
This is what I mean about having faith.
You just mention about what I`ve been saying that we have faith before any works.
You said it in your statement:to have faith in Christ

I can still have the permission , and have the key, and I can be stupid and don`t use what I have, but like you said I do have the faith in Christ because I have the substance which is faith, or I do have the key, which is the thing that open the door, but just because I didn`t open the door doesn`t mean I don`t have the key, or because I didn`t do any other works, I don`t have faith, get my point of faith only??

The way I see that you believe is that the person giving you the key , and the free permission to eat in his store, is like you say first I must do what ever I can first before I get the permission, and key, like clean the man house ,tiolets, clean the store from the outside,and everything that you can do for the man , and then maybe you might get the permission, and the key to stop from starving to death, buit by the time you do all this works first you will die while your working from starvation, so you concept doesn`t make sence, and this is for sure not the way of the Lord , and the bible.
That why in the bible is said Grace is a gift, and salvation is a choice, of accepting not any kind of works that you can show off , and show what you done on your own.

the same is with being saved and having salvation.
the part really gave this person life again was the permission, which is only words, that give this person hope.

Quote by Kevin
But that's just not true. You are saying that one who hears the words, yet does not act on them, is already saved. That's not what the Bible teaches. I've shown you and others alike that 1John 2:4 states that people who say they know the Lord (hearing the words), yet do not keep His commandments, are liars, and the truth is not in them. Liars will not be in heaven, c.moore.

You are saying that people who hear the word and do nothing are saved by their faith only, which not only goes against that 1John passage I just referenced, but also Matt. 7:21. Its states that not everybody who says "Lord, Lord" will be in heaven, but only those who "DO" the will of the Father. To DO the will of the Father, you HAVE to do something-- Works.

Quote c.moore
This is what I explain in my above statement, and the scripture you mention is really meaning the same as what I said,except we are saved by faith alone.
! John 2:4 is saying like I said , If you have the key , and permission to go and eat all you can free from the gift of the owner , and you don`t go and eat, you are stupid, or A fool, and you are not maybe really hungry, or you are A liar, and the boss will not be pleased you didn`t go eat, so even though you mention boss,boss gave me permission, and A key, you still will never enter again into the bos store, because the boss don`t let foolish, and stupid, and liars that act like they are starving to be a friend of the boss, and he will act also like he never knew this stupid,lying person, that didn`t use the things that was offered to them freely.

Quote by Kevin
You agree with me that faith by itself is dead, yet you say that faith only saves. Well, I ask again, knowing that faith only is a dead faith, how can a dead faith save anybody, c.moore? Can you answer that?

Quote c.moore
I did in the above examples, and as soon as somebody recieves the permission, and the key, they are saved,or have the key to life, and of course I would not be stupid and not use what I got,but without what I got I am lost and not saved, so if I don`t go to the store and eat I will be dead, but my salvation is based on the permision to have the key,and the boss is happy to give me the free key, and would be happier to see me use the key,but I already been given life through the boss already.

When we get baptized , the spiritual baptism is the real baptism for God, not the fleshly carnal outwards water baptism.

Quote kevin
Wrong. We have examples of more than one apostle going out and baptizing people in the name of the Lord. Baptism in the name of the Lord is done with water (Acts 10:47-48). The apostle's actual examples of baptism disagrees with your assertion.

We do get baptized because we want to show , and reveal also to ourselves what happen in the spirit baptism that counts for God,and is very important

Nowhere in scripture will you find proof texts that supports this assertion. Nowhere. I've shown you more than one what the scriptures says about the purpose of baptism and what it does for us: frees us from sin and allows us to walk in the newness of life (Romans 6:1-11). And no, this isn't spririt baptism as you incorrectly think. Paul wrote Romans 6 and Paul practiced baptizing people in the name of the Lord, which is done with water (Acts 10:44-47).

Quote c.moore
If this is the case that the natural water ritual saves, then why don`t you still use lambs as offer to show that your sins are forgiven?

Why don`t you use the real blood of Jesus, or blood for repentance ?

Does the water baptism come before the spiritual baptism??

Kevin what do you think a spiritual baptism is In Jesus??

When we get spritual baptized it will last forever, and because God is spirit John 4:24 we should want to be more involved in the spiritual thing of God, because the natural things will perish
2Co:4:18: While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

And water is visible, you can see the water you go down in when getting wet, and you only be wet temporally .

peace

agape

Originally posted by Evangelion
Look, Agape - I am not disputing the fact that these people received the "seal of the Holy Spirit." You can have as many "seals of the Holy Spirit" as you like. Heck, you can have more than seals. You can have "walruses of the Holy Spirit", for all I care
Do you even know what you are disputing?

I already gave you proof text, work with them first, come back and dispute them and then I'll give you more.

Jesus Christ taught that one "MUST BE BORN AGAIN OF SPIRIT. Take your arguments to Him. The scriptures you have supplied in no way prove that "water baptism" is the only way to go.

The onus is definitely not on me. It solely on you because you are the one who first stated that "water baptism" is the only baptism through which we are "buried in Christ." I am saying "prove it." You have not biblically done so in the least. I gave you enought scripture...now you suppy the scriptures to support your "words." :)

JustAChristian

JAC only add to error?!!!

JAC only add to error?!!!

Originally posted by agape
Evangelion,

Ephesians 1:13:
In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.

"AFTER" that you heard the WORD, OF TRUTH, the gospel of YOUR SALVATION; in whom ALSO AFTER YE BELIEVED, WERE SEALED WITH that HOLY SPIRIT OF PROMISE.

In whom [Christ] you Gentiles also, having heard the Word of Truth which is the gospel of your salvation, life, wholeness, and in him, Christ, you Gentiles also having believed, were sealed with the promised holy spirit.

They could not be "sealed" with the holy spirit if they did not receive the holy spirit by "spirit baptism" in the first place!

Verse 14 explains verse 13 more fully.

Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

(which is the earnest, token, guarantee, of our, Israel and Gentiles, marked off, encircled inheritance, in this life and until we completely enter into and take possession of our specially marked off treasure, our full inheritance), unto the honor of God's glory.

Boy, Evangelion you are really grabbing scriptures and taking them way out context and truth to make your point which does not exist in the scriptures. I am really surprised at you. :(

Btw, JustAChristian only "adds" "to errors you have made thus far.

Agape,

1. Heard the word of Truth.
2. Believed.
3. Sealed.

Faith comes by hearing the word (Romans 10:17). Having heard the word, one is prompted to believe it and react to it (Act 2:38).
The reaction must be in obedience (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:47). After reacting positively to the command and are water baptized, one received the gift of the Holy Spirit. There is no mention of Holy Spirit baptism by Peter, Philip or Paul as a condition of salvation. Those that gladly received the word were baptized. Not, HS baptized, but like all others who were baptized in the New Testament, they were immersed for the remission of sins. The sealing of the Spirit comes with obedience to baptism. It can be no other way and be consistent.

Let us look at this scripture context:

Acts 11: 15-17

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Did the Holy Spirit fall on the apostles in order to save them? Well, you must reason that He did if you accept such a conclusion with respect to the house of Cornelius. Peter said it fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Was this falling for cleansing unto salvation? No, it was in order to convence the Jewish brethren whom Peter delivered the message and that Christ was accepting the preaching to the Gentiles. Here them:

"When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life." Acts 11:18.

The Spirit fell on the apostles but not to save them. He fell on the House of Cornelius, but not to save him. I refer you to previous post for today on why the purpose of Holy Spirit baptism.

JustAChristian

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Evangelion,

The Apostle John writes to the Hebrew Christians:

"And this is the record,that God hath given to us eternal life,and this life is in His Son"(1Jn.5:11).

You say that this somehow means that John is telling them this,but his words do not mean in the present.In other words,they do not really possess eternal life at the time that the epistle is written.He tells them that they have eternal life,but they really do not.

That is ridiculous.The fact is,two veres later he says that they know that they have eternal life:

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God,that YE MAY KNOW THAT YE HAVE ETERNAL LIFE"(1Jn.5:13).

They are told that they have eternal life,and they also know that they possess eternal life.

And you say that this remains in the future!

How ridiculous can you get?

They have eternal life,and the Lord has this to say about those who he had given eternal life:

"And I give unto them eternal life,and THEY SHALL NEVER PERISH"(Jn.10:28).

They possess eternal security!

Now,this time see if you can show just a little bit of respect for the Holy Scriptures and tell me how those who have been given eternal life can ever lose it.

In His grace,--Jerry

Jerry Shugart

JustAChristian,

Sometimes the Holy Spirit is spoken of as being the agent in baptism and sometimes as the element.Also,sometimes the Holy Spirit is used to "seal" one who believes,and sometimes the Holy Spirit indwells the Chritian.

It is simple to understand the work of the Holy Spirit if we do not confuse one function of the Spirit with the others.

When the sinner believes the word,he is made alive spiritually by the Word that comes in the power of the Holy Spirit.As the Lord said:

"It is the SPIRIT THAT GIVETH LIFE...The WORDS that I speak unto you,they are Spirit,and they are life"(Jn.6:63).

At the time when a sinner believes the gospel,at that time he is BAPTIZED INTO THE BODY OF CHRIST by THE SPIRIT.Here the Holy Spirit is the agent.

"For by one Spirit were we all baptized into one Body...the Body of Christ"(1Cor.12:13).

At that time the Holy Spirit also "seals" the believer.And the Holy Spirit will continue to "seal" the believer until he receives his immortal body.So the seal will never be taken away or broken,so that means that the believer possesses eternl life.Remember,the verse does NOT say that he will be "sealed" until the day of redemption IF he does this or that.Instead it says that he will remain sealed until that day.

At that time also the Holy Spirit indwells the believer.And all these things happened to Cornelius and his family.Theywere "made alive" by the Spirit--"it is the Spirit that giveth life".They were "sealed" by the Holy Spirit,and the Holy Spirit also indwelled them.We see that BEFORE THEY WERE BAPTIZED the "Holy Spirit fell on all them who heard the Word"(Acts10:44).

So it is obvious that they had remission of their sins and were saved.Because if they remained in their sins then the Holy Spirit would be SEPARATED from them:

"But your iniquities have SEPARATED between you and your God,and your sins have hidden His face from you,that He will not hear"(Isa.59:2).

JustAChristian,you say that the Holy Spirit is not the cleaning agent for washing away spiritual sins.Do you believe that water ACTUALLY CLEANS the soul from sins?

In His grace,--Jerry

Kevin

Jerry,

Kevin,

Please no not put words in my mouth that I never said.

I never said that we do not have to do anything after believing.I said that we are not under law,and when there is no law there is no transgression.

You said nothing about those verses.

I also pointed out that the believer has the "righteousness of God" and not his "own righteousness",which is of law.

But you said nothing about those verses.

Ok, sorry about that. I just don't understand why you bothered to quote those verses about not being under the law. I didn't comment on them because they don't have any bearing on the fact that we are to keep Christ's commandments.

Nowhere in the Bible is it taught that we don't have to keep His commandments, or that we are excused from doing them because we are not under a law. And I thought you were quoting those verses about not being under the law as an attempt to show that we don't have to keep His commandments, which is why I made the comment: "You're out of your mind if you think that we don't have to do anything after believing in Him."

Kevin

Agape,

Hebrews 5:9 is not saying that we need to obey him in order to be saved. That would be works and works does not get one saved and born again of God's Spirit.

Heb. 5:9 is saying that Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to: all who obey Him. "All who obey Him" is the qualifier for Jesus to be the author of eternal salvation.

I realize that works doesn't save us. But works does play a role in our salvation. Try telling the people in Matt. 25:41-46 that works has nothing to do with salvation. :rolleyes:

There is nothing in these verses which states that a Christian who says he/she is in fellowship and walks in darkness, being a liar, are not still saved.

Sure there is, you just won't accept it. It plainly states that somebody who claims to know God, which would certainly be a Christian, yet does not keep His commandments, which is impossible to do without doing something (works), is a liar, and the truth is not in them. Therefore, if somebody doesn't keep the commandments, they do not know God, for they are liars. If you don't know God, you can forget about heaven.

Again, we must always remember that salvation came from what Christ accomplished for us. It came by the pure grace of God. It is a free gift to all who believe in Christ. We ARE SAVED BY GRACE...NEVER BY WORKS.

God's grace is free in the sense that He freely made if available when man could do nothing to earn it, yes. He gave us grace out of His love and compassion for us. That's how grace is a free. He made grace available when He didn't have to. But he certainly made conditions for that grace. If grace was freely given without man having to do anything, everybody would be saved! Everybody! But we know that's not true.

Since works supposedly doesn't play a role in our salvation, would you explain how we can be judged by our works (Rev 20:12) without it having any bearing on our salvation? How do you reconcile this?

Would you say to Jesus, "No Lord... it's faith only" when He condemned the people in Matt. 25:41-46 to HELL for their lack of WORKS? Would you?

Kevin

c.moore,

Something I previously overlooked about your "key" analogy. You have yet to scriptually prove that one would recieve the key to God's kingdom by faith only, which is taught as being a dead faith.

God would not give the key to somebody who has not obeyed the command of baptism, because it is through baptism that we put the old man of sin away, and walk in the newness of life. It is at that point that we have been given the key to His kingdom. How can one have the key to the kingdom of God without putting away his old man of sin?

Quote by Kevin
You agree with me that faith by itself is dead, yet you say that faith only saves. Well, I ask again, knowing that faith only is a dead faith, how can a dead faith save anybody, c.moore? Can you answer that?

Quote c.moore
I did in the above examples

Umm... do you realize that you are actually trying to explain and convince people that a dead faith can save...? You're kidding, right?

If this is the case that the natural water ritual saves, then why don`t you still use lambs as offer to show that your sins are forgiven?

You can't be serious. :rolleyes: Must I really answer this question? We are not under the old law of Moses anymore, that's why. Being baptized in the name of the Lord, which is done with water, is not under the old Law.

Why don`t you use the real blood of Jesus, or blood for repentance ?

His blood won't do anybody any good who doesn't obey the command of baptism. Baptism is the means setup by God by which man has the opportunity of having his sins forgiven by His blood. Baptism is the means. The water doesn't actually remiss the sins, His blood does. Water is the agent that God chose to be used in baptism, therefore, we follow His example. You guys are so hung up over the water, thinking that we are claiming that the water itself saves. We've never claimed that.

What we do claim is that baptism is for the remission of sins, which is confirmed in Romans 6:7 and Acts 2:38.

Does the water baptism come before the spiritual baptism??

Kevin what do you think a spiritual baptism is In Jesus??

Being baptized in the name of the Lord, which uses water, let's us walk in the newness of life. At that point, we no longer walk in the flesh, but in the spirit, for we have put away the old man of sin through baptism.

Sorry for not answering your question. I obey because of both fear and love for my God. My answer really has no bearing on the fact that God expects obedience out of us.

Quote c.moore
perfect Love casted out fear.

Yes it does, but I don't know if that includes the fear of the Lord. There are multiple places in the Bible that speak of people being wise who fear the Lord. We are to work out our salvation with "fear and trembling".

Anyway, that really has no bearing on the fact that we are to obey Jesus's commandments. My motivation for obeying them does not change that simple fact... that they are expected to be obeyed (His commandments).

Last edited: