ECT The Fulfillment of Jeremiah 18: 1-6 In Ephesians 2: 11-13 and Romans 11: 17-20

northwye

The Fulfillment of Jeremiah 18: 1-6 In Ephesians 2: 11-13 and Romans 11: 17-20

Jeremiah 18: 1-6 says as a prophecy "The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
2. Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.
3. Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.
4. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.
5. Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
6. O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel."

Jeremiah 18: 1-6 is a prophecy saying that God will remake Israel.

There are at least two Old Testament prophecies which point to Jeremiah 18: 1-6 - II Kings 21: 13 and Isaiah 29: 16.

"And I will stretch over Jerusalem the line of Samaria, and the plummet of the house of Ahab: and I will wipe Jerusalem as a man wipeth a dish, wiping it, and turning it upside down."
II Kings 21: 13

"Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?" Isaiah 29: 16

Ephesians 2: 11-13 says "Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hand
12. That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13. But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ."

The Old English word "nigh" is from "ἐγγύς, Strong's 1451. See: https://biblehub.com/greek/1451.htm

"ἐγγύς, eggus, Definition: near in place or time."

Paul is subtle in Ephesians 2: 13. He might have said that Gentiles are made a part of Israel by the Blood of Christ.

In Romans 11: 1-5 and in Romans 11: 17-20 Paul says "I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
2. God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
3. Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
4. But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5.Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace11: 17-20 Paul says "

"And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18. Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. σε
19. Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
20.Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:"

In Romans 11: 1-5 he is not implying that the multitude of Old Covenant Israel all go into the New Covenant, but Paul is talking abut some examples of the remnant of Israel in history and is saying that God has made a remnant of Israel into the beginnings of Israel in the New Covenant. Paul is subtle about what he calls this remade Israel (Jeremiah 18: 4)

Then in Romans 11: 17-20 Paul uses the metaphor of the good and the wild olive tree (Romans 11: 24) in referring to Israel remade in Jesus Christ. The Gentiles who have faith are grafted into the Good Olive Tree, which again, is Israel remade in Christ. He is being subtle again as in Ephesians 2:p 13 is what he calls Remade Israel.

We can know from Paul's teachings in the New Testament that this Remnant of Israel is born again by the Spirit (John 3: 1-6), is transformed by the renewing of their minds (Romans 12: 2), a transformation that makes them new creatures or creations (II Corinthians 5: 17, Galatians 6: 15), with Christ in them, the hope of glory (Colossians 1: 27.

In Galatians 6: 15-16 Paul says "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
16. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God."

Here Paul is calling remade Israel the Israel of God.

The Israel of God is all the elect of God regardless of their DNA. See Romans 10: 12, Galatians 3: 28 and Colossians 3: 11.

"Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all." Colossians 3: 11

But Paul says in I Corinthians 10: 18 "Behold Israel after the flesh." "ισραηλ κατα σαρκα."

"ισραηλ κατα σαρκα" is the multitude of Old Covenant Israel, or Israel of the flesh, which is a division from the Israel of God which the New Testament does make. The new Testament does not made a division between saved Jews and Saved Gentiles, nor does it make a division between Old Covenant Israel and the Church, a word which Tyndale consistently translated as congregation. That is, Tyndale consistently translated ekklesia as congregation.

Last edited: