The Fig Tree of Matthew 24

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The Olivet Discourse now comes to the third section known as the parable of the fig tree, recorded in Matthew 24:32-35; Mark 13:28-32; and Luke 21:29-33.

The Matthew account reads: Now from the fig tree learn her parable: when her branch is now become tender, and puts forth its leaves, ye know that the summer is nigh; even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

The Luke account reads: And he spoke to them a parable: Behold the fig tree, and all the trees: when they now shoot forth, ye see it and know of your own selves that the summer is now nigh. Even so ye also, when ye see these things coming to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

This section has often been misused by those who have attempted to date the Rapture or the Second Coming of the Messiah. The fig tree is often taken to mean the re-establishment of the State of Israel in 1948. Then, within a generation, that is forty years from 1948, the Second Coming must occur. This would place the Second Coming in 1988. Because the Rapture precedes the Second Coming by at least seven years, it would place the Rapture by 1981. This is simply date-setting–something the Scriptures clearly forbid. Nevertheless, date-setters continue to revise their 1981 “prophecy” year after year. Since 1988 has now come and gone, the new focus is to start the forty years with the Six-Day War in 1967. So now, some are predicting the return of the Lord around 2006-2007.

There are two errors in this type of reasoning and its exposition. First, the Bible nowhere limits the period of a generation to simply forty years. The one place where the term “generation” is given a specific length of time, it is reckoned to be one hundred years (Gen. 15:13-16). Actually, the term “generation” can mean “twenty,” ”forty,” “seventy,” “eighty,” and “one hundred” years. Sometimes it simply means “contemporaries,” much as we use the term today. That is the way it is used here. A second mistake made in this reasoning is assuming that the fig tree is a symbol of Israel and that this passage is speaking of the re-establishment of the Jewish State in 1948. This has not been mentioned anywhere in the entire Olivet Discourse. The re-establishment of Israel has merely been assumed and presupposed in the passage, but it has never been dealt with specifically . Furthermore, the usual scriptural symbol for Israel is the vine.

However, the real point of this passage is that the fig tree is being used literally as an illustration, not as a symbol for Israel. This is clearly seen from verse 29 of the Luke passage, which reads “Behold the fig tree, and all the trees.” If the fig tree represents Israel, what, then, do all the other trees represent? If they refer to other nations, and since a number of nations have risen–and keep rising–since 1948, then when would the forty-year countdown really begin? Neither the fig tree nor the other trees are used symbolically to refer to any nation or nations; rather, they are being used literally as an illustration.

The point of the illustration is this: When the fig tree, and all the other trees begin to blossom, it is a sure sign that summer is on its way, because blossoming occurs in the spring. Then, in application of the illustration, Jesus said, “Even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors.” Just as a blossoming fig tree means that summer is on its way, in the same way, when these events that Yeshua spoke about occur, then they can know that His return is near.

But what is it that signals the soon return of the Lord? It is not the re-establishment of Israel in 1948, because Jesus never mentioned that event in this passage. Rather, the event that He was speaking of was the Abomination of Desolation. When the Abomination of Desolation occurs, it will signal the soon return of the Messiah, namely only 3_years later. More specifically, it will be exactly 1,260 days from the Abomination of Desolation until the Second Coming.

Then Yeshua stated that the generation that sees this event–the Abomination of Desolation–will still be around when the Second Coming of the Messiah occurs 3_ years later. The point of verse 34 is not that the generation that sees the re-establishment of the Jewish State will still be here at the Second Coming, but rather, the Jewish generation that sees the Abomination of Desolation will still be here at the Second Coming. Verse 34 is intended to be a word of comfort in light of the world-wide attempt at Jewish destruction. It must be kept in mind that the Abomination of Desolation signals Satan's and the Antichrist's final attempt to exterminate the Jews. The fact that the Jewish generation will still be here when the Second Coming of the Messiah occurs shows that Satan's attempt toward Jewish destruction will fail, and the Jewish saints of the second half of the Tribulation can receive comfort from these words.

The “coming” referred to in this passage is not the Rapture, for which no signs are promised, but the Second Coming itself. This is evident from the Luke account, for he states that what the Abomination of Desolation signals is the coming of the Kingdom of God. The Millennial Kingdom will be a result of the Second Coming, not of the Rapture. Again, the point of this section is not that the fig tree represents Israel in 1948, but rather, the fig tree is being used literally as an illustration. The point of the illustration is to provide a word of comfort that the world-wide attempt to destroy the Jews is destined for failure, for the Jewish generation that sees the Abomination of Desolation will still be around when the Messiah returns.

Arnold Fruchtenbaum

CherubRam

The prophecy given was an overview. From that time down to the last days before the millennial reign.The bible speaks of about five different last days.

Rondonmonson

The Olivet Discourse now comes to the third section known as the parable of the fig tree, recorded in Matthew 24:32-35; Mark 13:28-32; and Luke 21:29-33.

Mostly right here, I have done an exegesis of Matthew 24. What I find is Jesus tells the disciples about the Temples destruction, then when they asked the questions of him, he tells them about the wars and rumors of wars and says, but this will not be the END !! I think this is the Temple destruction, Jesus knows the disciples will be in far away lands, led by the Holy Spirit, thus they will only hear, but he wants them to know this is not the end.

Then Matthew 24:16-26 is about the coming TROUBLES for Israel.

Matthew 24:27-31 is about the Second Coming, with us Saints/Church/Bride in tow.

Matthew 24:32-44 is about the Rapture, one is taken one is left. And as in the Days of Noah, they will be marrying and partying.

In the Days of Gods wrath or Times of Troubles, they will be hiding from Gods wrath, not marrying and partying. That is the RAPTURE....Jesus being sent to the Lost Sheep had to prophesy about both the Messianic Jews plight, and the Unbelieving Jews plight. The unbelieving Jews will be 85-95 percent at the time of the Rapture. By the time of the Abomination, most all Israel will be believers, brought to Christ by the two-witnesses (Malachi 4:5-6)

Last edited:

Interplanner

Mostly right here, I have done an exegesis of Matthew 24. What I find is Jesus tells the disciples about the Temples destruction, then when they asked the questions of him, he tells them about the wars and rumors of wars and says, but this will not be the END !! I think this is the Temple destruction, Jesus knows the disciples will be in far away lands, led by the Holy Spirit, thus they will only hear, but he wants them to know this is not the end.

Then Matthew 24:16-26 is about the coming TROUBLES for Israel.

Matthew 24:27-31 is about the Second Coming, with us Saints/Church/Bride in tow.

Matthew 24:32-44 is about the Rapture, one is taken one is left. And as in the Days of Noah, they will be marrying and partying.

In the Days of Gods wrath or Times of Troubles, they will be hiding from Gods wrath, not marrying and partying. That is the RAPTURE....Jesus being sent to the Lost Sheep had to prophesy about both the Messianic Jews plight, and the Unbelieving Jews plight. The unbelieving Jews will be 85-95 percent at the time of the Rapture. By the time of the Abomination, mist all Israel will be believers, brought to Christ by the two-witnesses (Malachi 4:5-6)

Mt 24A (and parallels) is about the 1st century events. At v29 there is an obvious setting change, and it is about the whole earth. The 2nd coming in judgement was expected right after the destruction of Jerusalem. God decided to delay the end of the earth, obviously. No one but the Father decides that.

Other material after this may apply to both, because the exhortations become very similar.

But one thing you said that is completely worthless is the flood comparison. Those taken away by the flood were the judged. It is bad to be taken away, good to remain. You may want to check Dan 9's description of the destruction of Jerusalem. The last verse says the end will come like a flood...

Rondonmonson

Mt 24A (and parallels) is about the 1st century events. At v29 there is an obvious setting change, and it is about the whole earth. The 2nd coming in judgement was expected right after the destruction of Jerusalem. God decided to delay the end of the earth, obviously. No one but the Father decides that.

Other material after this may apply to both, because the exhortations become very similar.

But one thing you said that is completely worthless is the flood comparison. Those taken away by the flood were the judged. It is bad to be taken away, good to remain. You may want to check Dan 9's description of the destruction of Jerusalem. The last verse says the end will come like a flood...

You guys have to come up with that theory to explain why the one is left and one is taken. Its bogus. The writer here, not understanding what the Rapture was has no clue, God later informed Paul about the Rapture. This writer got the Sequence wrong, verses 32-44 or to the end of the chapter, should be before verse 14.

I have done an exegesis about the whole chapter of Matthew 24. The context is clear and we see the THREE QUESTIONS FAIRLY CLEAR.

Matthew 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

The first question was about what Jesus had just said, the Temple being DESTROYED !! (When shall these things be?) The second question was what will be THE SIGN of your Coming......And the Third question was and what will be the SIGN of the END OF THE WORLD. So they wanted to know about the Temples Destruction, and the SIGN of Jesus' coming and the SIGN of the End of the World.

I see three questions being asked, and two are about SIGNS of Coming and the End of the World. Now think about this, if Jesus is going to give them a sign of the end, wouldn't he walk them through the whole 2000 year period? I think he would, and he clearly does as we see below.

Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

{ Jesus here is warning the Disciples not to be deceived, it is well known that the Rabbis/Pharisees in order to put down the "Jesus movement" and because they thought the Roman occupation was the END TIMES and that the Messiah would come to save them, put forth various Messiahs just before the Temple destruction. and Jerusalem being conquered by force after the rebellion. Jesus is telling his Disciples not to fall for the lies, many will come in my name, saying I am THE MESSIAH, don't be deceived by them. And many will be deceived no doubt. }

Matthew 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

{ Jesus here is informing his Disciples that they will hear of Wars and Rumors of wars, no doubt Jesus knew many of the Disciples would venture afar, thus they would not see this destruction of the Temple, some would, but many would just HEAR OF IT, but Jesus tells them, THIS IS NOT THE END !! Meaning that even though the Pharisees and Rabbis were looking for the Messiah to SAVE THEM, this was not the time of Jesus' return, thus he says, the END IS NOT YET !! Then Jesus seems to shift past the lives of the Disciples and into a futuristic, 2000 year period of time, when he speaks about Nations against Nations, Kingdoms against Kingdoms, Famines, Pestilences and Earthquakes, and he says these are the Beginnings of Sorrows !! The Greek word used for sorrows implies BIRTH PANGS, and this is Jesus telling the Disciples that all of these things MUST HAPPEN FIRST, and that will be the SIGN (BIRTH PANG) that the end is Near.

The next few verses, travel over this same 2000 year time period as verse 6 through 8, they had a different way of writing back then. It is what it is. Just Like we get Genesis told to us twice. One was the Creation of all things, chapter two was the Creation of Man. So the next few verses are first speaking about Jesus' Disciples. }

Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

{ I think this is mainly Jesus telling his Disciples their coming fate. Many people would betray them, and most all of the Disciples would become Martyrs, save John and a couple of others, maybe. They don't kill you if they don't hate you.....after all right ? And no doubt, many betrayed them, like Judas betrayed Jesus. }

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

{ I think this is another 2000 year period, Jesus throws this in to let everyone know, there will be many FALSE PROPHETS (Jonestown, and many other cults like it have risen over the 2000 year Period since Jesus' death) and because of SIN (at the END TIMES right about the time of the Birth Pangs above) the love of MANY shall wax COLD.....Abortion, Murder at a crazy rate, for no reason in many cases. Homosexuality being pushed as NORMAL. People do not understand what TRUE LOVE IS it seems. BUT...........Jesus says, out of all of these things I have described unto you all, (from verse 4 to 13) he that endures all things that might come upon him, he that KEEPS THE FAITH until the END (of his life) the same shall be SAVED. In other words if we turn from God/Jesus and return unto the world, we will be CAST OUT OF JESUS' Mouth, as Lukewarm. We must overcome Satan by the Blood of the Lamb, we can not turn back to living a sinful life, we must endure all of our temptations. It doesn't mean we will not SIN..........It just means we can not turn back unto a sinful lifestyle. WE MUST ENDURE IN CHRIST until the end. }

I think its fairly clear that Jesus is explaining a multifaceted, three part question unto his disciples. This first part is about the Temple being destroyed and the 2000 year period until the End Time comes upon us. So this is the WHEN SHALL THESE THINGS BE part,(Question number 1.) since Jesus told them about the coming Temple Destruction. Then Jesus gave them the SIGNS (Birth Pangs) of what things would look like just before the Rapture, and just before his Second Coming Seven years after the Rapture.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, {whoso readeth, let him understand} 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

{ Verse 14 kind of belongs with verses 4-13, but it can also go on this side of the 2000 year divide. It straddles the gap so to speak. The Gospel must be preached unto all the World, then the END WILL COME !! This is real clear, once the Church has preached the Gospel unto all the world, FOR A WITNESS UNTO JESUS' SAVING GRACE, then, and only then can the End Times come upon us. Jesus then goes on to tell us/disciples about this END TIME PERIOD. He warns the Jewish Nation that when they see the Abomination of Desolation, spoken of by Daniel the Prophet, they should FLEE Jerusalem. THIS IS AN END TIME EVENT.........There is no doubt about that at all. Now Jesus must go further and tell them about the other two questions, when will the SIGN OF THY COMING BE and when will the END BE. }

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

{ Jesus is telling his Disciples, and thus the END TIME JEWISH PEOPLES, what to look for, he is telling them, HEY !! When you flee from Judea, and I protect you in that safe place (1260 days) DO NOT FALL for the Anti-Christ and False Prophets TRICKS, they will try and deceive you, to make you think that I (Israel have accepted Jesus as their Messiah by this time, OR God wouldn't be protecting them in the Wilderness, Malachi 4:5-6 tells us this) have come and am in the Desert or in a Secret Chamber.........DO NOT GO TO THIS FALSE PROPHET !! No doubt Jesus is implying that this Fake Messiah/False Prophet will kill you if you go to them. Jesus then tells them where to look for him when he RETURNS. I will be coming in the EASTERN SKIES......Amen. Jesus says if it were possible they will deceive the very ELECT (Jews who have become Christians or received their Messiah as Jesus) but it is NOT POSSIBLE, for I HAVE TOLD YOU !!! BOOM....... Next Jesus finally tells them about his Second Coming. }

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

{ So, Jesus tells the Jewish peoples the SIGNS of his Coming and WHEN THE END SHALL BE. This is the End of the Age. No Doubt. IMMEDIATELY AFTER the Tribulation of those days (Troubles/Jacobs Trouble), these SIGNS will be in the Sky and then you will see me coming in the Clouds from the East, and all the Tribes and Nations will see the Glory of My Coming. And the Angels will gather THE ELECT from the Four Corners of Heaven, [where the Church has been for SEVEN YEARS, marrying the Lamb] and we will Return on White Horses with Jesus Christ just as Rev. 19 says.}

Now Jesus has covered most all of the bases on the Jewish Nation, because 85-95 percent of them will not Receive the Lord Jesus Christ before the RAPTURE that Paul has spoken about in 1 Corinthians 15 and in other places. So now Jesus must cover the rest of the Jewish Peoples plight about the THREE QUESTIONS the Disciples asked him, after all, the Disciples were "Christians" and even if ONLY 5 PERCENT of the Jewish peoples are Messianic Jews/Christians when Jesus comes back to Rapture the Church, they still need to KNOW THEIR PLIGHT ALSO Right ?

So Matthew 32-44 tells about the coming Rapture of the Church, but I will only post verses 38-42, for it emphasizes everything that needs to be said, Jesus tells the Messianic Jews about their destiny, BELOW:

Matthew 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

{ This of course happens right before the TRIBULATION, or Jacobs Troubles. If they were in the TRIBULATION PERIOD, would they be DRINKING, MARRYING and having a gay ole time ? NO, HECK NO, that makes no sense, the Jewish Nation will be in hiding in the WILDERNESS, and the wicked men of earth would be trying to DODGE THE PLAGUES of Gods Wrath, there will be NO ONE who will be having fun just before Jesus' SECOND COMING !!! But this is the Rapture.

Jesus then illustrates what can only be the Rapture, it CAN NOT be the Second Coming. He says TWO will be in the field and ONE will be taken and the OTHER WILL BE LEFT [Behind]. The same thing is spoken about with the women grinding at the mill, ONE will be taken and ONE LEFT BEHIND.

Then he says WATCH for you know not what hour when your Lord comes. Just like the Bride knew not what HOUR THE BRIDEGROOM CAME !! Now we are starting to see the BIG PICTURE HERE !! We know when Jesus' Second Coming will be. Exactly 42 Months after the Anti-Christ commits the Abomination of Desolation, AND...we will all see him splitting the Eastern Skies, no one will be left behind, believe me, the Wicked will be DESTROYED, not left behind. I will be with Jesus in this Return, after the Rapture. }

So, as we can see, Jesus answers all three questions his Disciples asked him about.

Matthew 24:6 Is Jesus telling the Disciples that the destruction of the Temple is not the END, there will be more wars/famine/earthquakes after this.

Matthew 24:16-26 is about the Times of Troubles.

Matthew 24:27-31 is about the Second Coming.

Matthew 24:32-44 is about the Rapture.

Revelation chapter 6 had nothing to do with Matthew 24, whatsoever.

Interplanner

Ron,
it is not a matter of coming up with a theory. it is from knowing the 1st century events very well, and knowing that christ spoke of them. Waves of zealots impounded people to come and fight for them against Rome. That is the flood he is referring to. That's why it is bad to be taken.

There was no water flood at the end of the 490 years in connection with the destruction of Jerusalem. If anything there was dehydration! It was a picture from Daniel of what the 'rebellion that desolates' (8:13) would be like.

Interplanner

btw, most good comments on this acknowledge the sections are not sequential but layers on top of each other. Calamities, wars, persecution all at the same time, on top of each other.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[The Fig Tree of Matthew 24]

"Mt 24:8 sorrows. The word means “birth pangs.” Famines, earthquakes, and conflicts have always characterized life in a fallen world; but by calling these things “the beginning” of labor pains, He indicated that things will get notably and remarkably worse at the end of the era as these unique tribulations signal the soon arrival of Messiah to judge sinful humanity and set up His millennial kingdom. Cf. 1 Thess. 5:3; Rev. 6:1–17; 8:1–9:21; 16:1–21; see note on v. 14.

Mt 24:14 preached in all the world. Despite all the tribulations that would come—the deception of false teachers, the wars, persecutions, natural disasters, defections from Christ, and all the obstacles to the spread of the gospel—the message ultimately penetrates every part of the globe. God is never without a witness, and He will proclaim the gospel from heaven itself if necessary (cf. Rev. 14:6). and then the end will come. “The end” refers to the final, excruciating birth pangs (see note on v. 8). This is how Christ characterizes the time of Great Tribulation described in the verses that follow.

Mt 24:32 parable from the fig tree. When the fig branch “puts forth leaves,” only a short time remains until summer. Likewise, when the final labor pains begin (see note on v. 14), Christ’s return “is near; it is at the doors!” (v. 33).

24:34 this generation. This cannot refer to the generation living at that time of Christ, for “all these things”—the abomination of desolation (v. 15), the persecutions and judgments (vv. 17–22), the false prophets (vv. 23–26), the signs in the heavens (vv. 27–29), Christ’s final return (v. 30), and the gathering of the elect (v. 31)—did not “take place” in their lifetime. It seems best to interpret Christ’s words as a reference to the generation alive at the time when those final hard labor pains begin (see note on v. 14). This would fit with the lesson of the fig tree, which stresses the short span of time in which these things will occur (see note on v. 32). " MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1438). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

Related:

We are in tribulations

Jerry Shugart

First, the Bible nowhere limits the period of a generation to simply forty years. The one place where the term “generation” is given a specific length of time, it is reckoned to be one hundred years (Gen. 15:13-16). Actually, the term “generation” can mean “twenty,” ”forty,” “seventy,” “eighty,” and “one hundred” years. Sometimes it simply means “contemporaries,” much as we use the term today. That is the way it is used here.

So the contemporaries of those who heard the Lord Jesus' words here were alive when He returned to the earth?:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled" (Lk.21:27-32).​

Rondonmonson

Ron,
it is not a matter of coming up with a theory. it is from knowing the 1st century events very well, and knowing that christ spoke of them. Waves of zealots impounded people to come and fight for them against Rome. That is the flood he is referring to. That's why it is bad to be taken.

There was no water flood at the end of the 490 years in connection with the destruction of Jerusalem. If anything there was dehydration! It was a picture from Daniel of what the 'rebellion that desolates' (8:13) would be like.

Its not a theory brother. Its a deep study of the facts. What are you even talking about with "flood"? I understand the flood being spoken of here is the same as in Revelation chapter 12, a Flood of people/an Army coming against something.But when Jesus spoke of the days of Noah, he was referring to the people marrying and drinking while Noah was building the Ark, or basically laughing and mocking him, instead of fearing God. Its about the Rapture, that is in Matthew 24:32-44, not in this first part of Matthew. I understand what the flood spoken of there means.

In short/abbreviated terms....Matthew 24:1-6 is Jesus speaking about what is going to happen from that moment until the Temple is destroyed. He tells them there will be FAKE MESSIAHS coming since Israel was looking for the Messiah to save them from Roman occupation, he tells them don't follow them/believe in them, remember I am the true Messiah. And when you are away ministering in far away places, you will hear of these things (war and rumor of wars or the Temple being destroyed) but don't WORRY ABOUT THAT !! The END IS NOT YET !!

BECAUSE.......Nation will rise against nation, Kingdoms vs kingdoms, you will have earthquakes, famines and pestilences or disease yet to come, so the point is The Temple Destruction is NOT THE END !! All of these thongs mentioned are the beginning of Sorrows (Birth Pangs of a woman). So towards the end, these pangs should increase in frequency and violence, as should wars, earthquakes and starvation's. In the 20th Century 123 Million deaths were caused by wars !!

Then in verse 9 Jesus comes back to the Disciples, and tells them what shall befall them. They shall deliver you up to be afflicted or beaten, and killed. Then in the same verse Jesus say YE...Meaning all of my followers I think, saying we as Christians shall be hated for his names sake, and family members shall betray family members. Many false prophets shall arise and deceive many. Ad we have seen this time and again throughout the ages. Crazies like Jim Jones etc. etc. and because of sin (the abundance and acceptance of sin) many shall wax cold (hardened hearts) but he that endures until the end shall be saved. The end of what? Until the end of their lives as Christians, of course. So that carries us to Verse 14, where it says the Gospel must be preached unto all the world, and THEN THE END CAN COME ! What was their QUESTION? When will the END BE !!

Now then we transition to the END TIMES the Disciples asked about. The Gospel is first preached unto all the World ( that is basically NOW !! )Then will the End Come. Jesus tells them when you shall see the Abomination of Desolation, as spoken of by Daniel the Prophet, then FLEE JUDEA unto the wilderness or Mountains. Jesus knew his disciples wouldn't be in Jerusalem at this time, hes already spoken to them about the Temples Destruction, this is the END TIME EVENT, the time of Trouble spoken of in Daniel 12:1-2, which says the Rapture happens at the exact same time, GO READ IT.

Daniel 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. 2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

All this TIES IN, it is very clear, this time of trouble that happens at the Abomination of Desolation is an END TIME EVENT !! As Daniel 12:2 says, the Rapture happens at this VERY TIME OF TROUBLE !! And as Matthew 24:22 says, if those days were not shortened (to the 7 Years) no flesh would be saved !! AN END TIME EVENT.......Not something that has happened. The proof s in the scriptures brother.

Verse 23 is where Jesus warns the future Jews who fled Jerusalem to the Wilderness not to fall for the tricks of Anti-Christ/False Prophet/Satan. He understands they will try to get the WOMAN (Israel) who is being protected by God for 1260 days in the Wilderness, to come out of her protective zone, via magic, and lies, so they can kill all of them, OF COURSE !! Thus Jesus says, Lo, if any man says Christ is there, believe it not, for there shall arise false-christs and false prophets that will work miracles and deceive many, even the elect IF IT WERE POSSIBLE, but lo, I have TOLD YOU (So they will know better).

Matthew 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Jesus tells them where he will be coming from (Matthew 24:27-31). What is the Sign of thy coming and the END !! He is answering the UNBELIEVING JEWS, who missed the Rapture, which will be 85-95 percent of the Jewish people, because they are blinded, until the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled, so said Paul. Then of course the Two-witnesses brings Israel unto Christ just before the Abomination of Desolation, and God thus PROTECTS THEM for 1260 Days. Then IMMEDIATELY AFTER the Tribulation of those days Jesus comes back, in the EASTERN SKIES, and we the Church are with him, having been Rapture to heaven to Marry the Lamb (Rev. 19) and Jesus speaks of the Rapture in Matthew 24:32-44.

Matthew 24:32-44 is the Rapture. The writer not understanding the Rapture did not place it in its proper place.

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Meaning they were surprised by the CALAMITIES THAT BEFELL THEM !! Likewise they will be surprised by the coming Wrath of God !! Once the Wrath of God comes upon them, they will not be surprised by Jesus' Second Coming.

Jesus says there will be two in the field, one will be taken, and one will be left. That is the Rapture of the Church which will include Messianic Jews.

Gd Bless

Zeke

The Matthew account reads: Now from the fig tree learn her parable: when her branch is now become tender, and puts forth its leaves, ye know that the summer is nigh; even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

The Luke account reads: And he spoke to them a parable: Behold the fig tree, and all the trees: when they now shoot forth, ye see it and know of your own selves that the summer is now nigh. Even so ye also, when ye see these things coming to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all things be accomplished. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

This section has often been misused by those who have attempted to date the Rapture or the Second Coming of the Messiah. The fig tree is often taken to mean the re-establishment of the State of Israel in 1948. Then, within a generation, that is forty years from 1948, the Second Coming must occur. This would place the Second Coming in 1988. Because the Rapture precedes the Second Coming by at least seven years, it would place the Rapture by 1981. This is simply date-setting–something the Scriptures clearly forbid. Nevertheless, date-setters continue to revise their 1981 “prophecy” year after year. Since 1988 has now come and gone, the new focus is to start the forty years with the Six-Day War in 1967. So now, some are predicting the return of the Lord around 2006-2007.

There are two errors in this type of reasoning and its exposition. First, the Bible nowhere limits the period of a generation to simply forty years. The one place where the term “generation” is given a specific length of time, it is reckoned to be one hundred years (Gen. 15:13-16). Actually, the term “generation” can mean “twenty,” ”forty,” “seventy,” “eighty,” and “one hundred” years. Sometimes it simply means “contemporaries,” much as we use the term today. That is the way it is used here. A second mistake made in this reasoning is assuming that the fig tree is a symbol of Israel and that this passage is speaking of the re-establishment of the Jewish State in 1948. This has not been mentioned anywhere in the entire Olivet Discourse. The re-establishment of Israel has merely been assumed and presupposed in the passage, but it has never been dealt with specifically . Furthermore, the usual scriptural symbol for Israel is the vine.

However, the real point of this passage is that the fig tree is being used literally as an illustration, not as a symbol for Israel. This is clearly seen from verse 29 of the Luke passage, which reads “Behold the fig tree, and all the trees.” If the fig tree represents Israel, what, then, do all the other trees represent? If they refer to other nations, and since a number of nations have risen–and keep rising–since 1948, then when would the forty-year countdown really begin? Neither the fig tree nor the other trees are used symbolically to refer to any nation or nations; rather, they are being used literally as an illustration.

The point of the illustration is this: When the fig tree, and all the other trees begin to blossom, it is a sure sign that summer is on its way, because blossoming occurs in the spring. Then, in application of the illustration, Jesus said, “Even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors.” Just as a blossoming fig tree means that summer is on its way, in the same way, when these events that Yeshua spoke about occur, then they can know that His return is near.

But what is it that signals the soon return of the Lord? It is not the re-establishment of Israel in 1948, because Jesus never mentioned that event in this passage. Rather, the event that He was speaking of was the Abomination of Desolation. When the Abomination of Desolation occurs, it will signal the soon return of the Messiah, namely only 3_years later. More specifically, it will be exactly 1,260 days from the Abomination of Desolation until the Second Coming.

Then Yeshua stated that the generation that sees this event–the Abomination of Desolation–will still be around when the Second Coming of the Messiah occurs 3_ years later. The point of verse 34 is not that the generation that sees the re-establishment of the Jewish State will still be here at the Second Coming, but rather, the Jewish generation that sees the Abomination of Desolation will still be here at the Second Coming. Verse 34 is intended to be a word of comfort in light of the world-wide attempt at Jewish destruction. It must be kept in mind that the Abomination of Desolation signals Satan's and the Antichrist's final attempt to exterminate the Jews. The fact that the Jewish generation will still be here when the Second Coming of the Messiah occurs shows that Satan's attempt toward Jewish destruction will fail, and the Jewish saints of the second half of the Tribulation can receive comfort from these words.

The “coming” referred to in this passage is not the Rapture, for which no signs are promised, but the Second Coming itself. This is evident from the Luke account, for he states that what the Abomination of Desolation signals is the coming of the Kingdom of God. The Millennial Kingdom will be a result of the Second Coming, not of the Rapture. Again, the point of this section is not that the fig tree represents Israel in 1948, but rather, the fig tree is being used literally as an illustration. The point of the illustration is to provide a word of comfort that the world-wide attempt to destroy the Jews is destined for failure, for the Jewish generation that sees the Abomination of Desolation will still be around when the Messiah returns.

Arnold Fruchtenbaum

More literalness that disregards where the kingdom and temple are located! Luke 17:20-21, 1Cor 3:16, so if you apply these being referenced as historic events instead of seeing there inward application Galatians 4:24 you will reap what you mentally sow, a exoteric false christ that fails the test Malachi 3:1, Acts 17:24..

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
So the contemporaries of those who heard the Lord Jesus' words here were alive when He returned to the earth?:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled" (Lk.21:27-32).​
Negative

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The Fig Tree of Matthew 24

More literalness that disregards where the kingdom and temple are located! Luke 17:20-21, 1Cor 3:16, so if you apply these being referenced as historic events instead of seeing there inward application Galatians 4:24 you will reap what you mentally sow, a exoteric false christ that fails the test Malachi 3:1, Acts 17:24..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
548fd3de315edb6a3d5ba5e9dde0e08d.jpg

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I think Fruchtenbaum puts to rest the "1948 generation" error of many christians don't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk