The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
He does have much to say on it.

He and I have discussed my philosophy of marriage and actually agrees with it.

Last year he and his wife had the same type of ceremony that my girlfriend and I had.

Unfortunately, the state does not recognize what my girlfriend and I went through as a "marriage".

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Rational Human
He does have much to say on it.

He and I have discussed my philosophy of marriage and actually agrees with it.

He can't agree with it too much if he got married when you didn't.

Last year he and his wife had the same type of ceremony that my girlfriend and I had.

What type of ceremony would that be?

Unfortunately, the state does not recognize what my girlfriend and I went through as a "marriage".

Does your state recognize common-law marriage?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Z Man
What's the risk of believing that God will forgive you of your mistakes?
What's the necessity of believing that?
Instead of trying to disprove the existence of God, why don't you try and prove His existence. You might be surprised at what you discover...
Like what? Give some examples of what you have "discovered".

Husband&Father

In nature MATTER is not created.

In nature MATTER is not created.

Rational Human wrote:
[And yet that is exactly what you believe, that god created something from the void. So which is it Father? Does something come from nothing or can nothing come from nothing? You are contradicting yourself here.]

Something can not come from nothing naturally. I believe that the universe came into existence supernaturally as an expression of God’s will that it should do so.

Rational Human wrote:
[So you are saying that nature creates nothing?]

I’m saying that in nature matter is neither created nor destroyed. I thought this was a settled issue. Even the biggest big bangers say that prior to the big bang all matter was condensed into a relatively small block ‘o matter. Then Mother Nature farted and the rest is cosmic history…

Rational Human wrote:
[How's this little slice of evoltionary magic father?]

Apparently you missed my observation that evolutionists have to make up strange theories.

As for the fairy tale you site lets not forget that this whole event started as part of a scientific exercise with scientists manipulating every step. Then the "evolution" happened because of a pump failure and backwash. First, there were no scientists back in the primeval days to put all the right ingredients (already highly complex life forms) together in the same Petri dish with ideal growing conditions. Second there was no pump back then to fail and provide the necessary back wash. And third, I thought evolution happened over billions and billions of years by natural selection / helpful mutations / survival of the fittest etc… This new species appears to have happened while the scientists were at lunch when their equipment broke.

This "evolution" was no evolution at all it was some single celled organisms that used their God given ability to react to certain specific circumstances. (that, again, were designed & introduced by a higher form of intelligence [the scientists]) This ability was obviously pre-programmed into the organisms systems or it would not have happened so quickly, so uniformly, so sustainable and so completely.

Husband&Father

All things cool.

All things cool.

Rational Human wrote:
[you have no clue what I know sir]

That makes two of us.

Rational Human wrote:
[And yet it has in the past on numerous occasions.]

Never has a supernatural event been explained by a natural explanation.

Rational Human wrote:
[I have yet to see any evolutionist or atheists here even remotely suggest "parallel universes"]

I am not suggesting that you hold this theory, just that some atheists (some quite prominent) have forwarded it.

Rational Human wrote:
[Again, I have never said that it came from nothing. You seem to think that I believe that there was time when nothing was around.]

I believe you are confused and the more you try to rationalize the more confused you get. Now you have placed yourself in a position of defending the "infinite universe with out beginning or end" theory. Good luck. (A scientist looked into that a few years back and determined that there was nothing to it. You may have heard of him, his name was Einstein)

Rational Human wrote:
[Again, do not assume you know my thoughts.]

Do not presume to tell me what I can and can not assume.

Rational Human wrote:
[I, unlike theists, do not believe that there was EVER a time where "nothing" existed.]
Rational Human wrote:
[It is a never ending cycle, and like all cycles it has had no beginning and will have no end.]

Attention class! It’s time for basic science. Let’s start with something simple, something you can all understand: All things cool off (lose energy) over time.

If the universe has been here for an infinite amount of time (that’s a lot of time) it would have used up all it’s energy by now. Every thing would be the same temperature because there would have been plenty of time for warmer objects to transfer their energy to the cooler ones. As it is the universe is still spending energy this means, as Einstein, Hawkins and my 5th grade science teacher and every other legitimate scientist taught, that the universe had a beginning. Why do you think they came up with the "big bang" theory. They knew they had to have a beginning, so they made one up.

A universe that may be expanding and has stars that generate heat, (have not burnt out yet) Planets that still spin and moons that still orbit planets points to a universe that had a recent (cosmically speaking) beginning.

XRK1

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: All things cool.

Re: All things cool.

Originally posted by Husband&Father
Attention class! It’s time for basic science. Let’s start with something simple, something you can all understand: All things cool off (lose energy) over time.

If the universe has been here for an infinite amount of time (that’s a lot of time) it would have used up all it’s energy by now. Every thing would be the same temperature because there would have been plenty of time for warmer objects to transfer their energy to the cooler ones. As it is the universe is still spending energy this means, as Einstein, Hawkins and my 5th grade science teacher and every other legitimate scientist taught, that the universe had a beginning. Why do you think they came up with the "big bang" theory. They knew they had to have a beginning, so they made one up.

A universe that may be expanding and has stars that generate heat, (have not burnt out yet) Planets that still spin and moons that still orbit planets points to a universe that had a recent
(cosmically speaking) beginning.

This is not correct. Motion is only lost due to other forces acting upon the opbject moving. Whether it be a grain of sand or an entire planet shuttling through the cosmos, provided it is in a vacuum and not other forces act upon it {say, gravity} the object will stay in motion.

This is the very idea behind the perpetual motion engine, however, unless we find a way to remove friction it is a pipe dream.

Z Man

Originally posted by Gawain
Hi Z Man,
If God doesn't exist, neither can love.
Do you have anything that shows that to be true?
Why love if there is no God? What purpose does it serve? Why would evolution even allow such emotions to intefer with it's motives? In fact, what is the ultimate motive of evolution? What is the meaning of life apart from God? Without God there is no need to "love".

Z Man

Originally posted by Gerald
What's the risk of believing that God will forgive you of your mistakes?
What's the necessity of believing that?
To be saved; to know life, love, and hope; to know complete, true, satisfying happiness that can only be found in Him.
Instead of trying to disprove the existence of God, why don't you try and prove His existence. You might be surprised at what you discover...
Like what? Give some examples of what you have "discovered".
Salvation; true happiness; total and complete satisfaction; hope; wisdom.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
...to know life, love, and hope;
Demonstrate conclusively that the unbeliever does not know these things.
to know complete, true, satisfying happiness that can only be found in Him.
And how is this manifested?
...true happiness; total and complete satisfaction; hope; wisdom.
How are these manifested? And again, demonstrate conclusively that the unbeliever does not have these things.

Z Man

Demonstrate conclusively that the unbeliever does not know these things.
What hope does the unbeliever have? That one day he'll be rich, or famous, or get "laid"? What hope can the world offer that is everlasting?

Un-believers may know love and life and hope, but only in this world do they know those things. And everything in this world will fade away, so there is no complete satisfaction in that. For instance, a guy may hope to have sex with his girl tonight, but after it's all said and done, and they had their fun, then what? They both go to look for something else. For ages people have tried everything in this world to satisfy thier wants and needs; drugs, sex, money, fame, power, friends, you name it. But they can never find that ultimate satisfaction unless they come to know God.

The satisfaction that comes from knowing God is eternal. Nothing in this world can compare.
And how is this manifested?
How are these manifested?
Explain. I don't understand what you are asking exactly...
And again, demonstrate conclusively that the unbeliever does not have these things.
The fact that unbelievers do feel love and a want to become satisfied deep down - a longing to find that ultimate love and acceptance - is a clear and obvious affirmation that God exists. Evolution wouldn't have created or evolved emotions amongst humans; or at least the ones we hold so dear. Why would evolution deem "love" neccessary? I could understand the need to reproduce, but why "love"? It's not necessary in evolution terms. It doesn't coincide with evolution's ultimate goals.

Last edited:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
The fact that unbelievers do feel love and a want to become satisfied deep down - a longing to find that ultimate love and acceptance - is a clear and obvious affirmation that God exists.
One problem here: I've never longed to find "that ultimate love and acceptance".

Z Man

One problem here: I've never longed to find "that ultimate love and acceptance".
Maybe not in God, but you have in other ways. If not, then you're not human...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Maybe not in God, but you have in other ways. If not, then you're not human...
Lacking an adequate definition of "ultimate love and acceptance", I'll have to go with not being human...

YMMV.

Z Man

Lacking an adequate definition of "ultimate love and acceptance", I'll have to go with not being human...

YMMV.
That's a silly remark. You're obviously avoiding the issue...

Husband&Father

God is the fixed point.

God is the fixed point.

Without a fixed reference point there can be such thing as direction.

God is the fixed point in morality. Without God standing for an absolute set of values there can be no moral direction, no morals at all, really.

Untimely a life without God must find a substitute fixed reference or be lived in intellectual inconsistency.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Re: God is the fixed point.

Re: God is the fixed point.

Originally posted by Husband&Father
Untimely a life without God must find a substitute fixed reference or be lived in intellectual inconsistency.
Thanks for clarifying!:thumb:

I have a fixed reference: me!

Now accuse me of avoiding the "issue", Z man...