The Death Penalty Could Have Saved Amanda Knox

Frayed Knot

That said, I doubt the court of public opinion really would've cared much if she and the victim didn't happen to be photogenic. This happens all the time.

That was parodied well on the Saving Private Brian episode of Family Guy (sorry, I can't find a clip of this):

[Cutaway to an overturned bus, with a policeman holding a clipboard and the press standing by]
Policeman: We regret to report that not all the children on board the school bus survived. We have identified the body of one victim: nine year old Becky Gunderson.
The Press: Awwwwwwww.
Policeman: [Reading from his clipboard] No, wait. That's, uh, Becky Gutierrez.
The Press: Oh - that's not news!

Flipper

* If Only Italy Would Have Had the Swift Death Penalty: If Italy had the swift death penalty, it is very possible that Meredith Kercher would be back in Britain right now (instead of being slain in a brutal murder), and that Raffaele Sollecito and Amanda Knox might still be dating, or perhaps married, or parted, but regardless, they would likely never have been wrongly accused, and thrown in jail.

Or maybe they would have been executed as soon as the trial was done?

Skavau

Almost as obsessed as you are with defending them.

Actually, I find the subject very tedious. I defend the right of two people to have a homosexual relationship on the basis of supporting individual rights.

I wretch at the prospect of totalitarianism and theocracy that you propose.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Or maybe they would have been executed as soon as the trial was done?

Uh, that's what I took away as well. I mean, yes, it's easier to execute people we accuse of committing crimes, but the implications are slightly ominous.

P.S. Oddly enough, I notice that Enyart has a penchant for assuming the guilty of anyone accused of a high-profile crime. In OJ's case he got it right but it seems as though he rushes to judgment quicker than Nancy Grace.

Last edited: