-peter got the keys
-and
-the power to bind and loose
-that means he was in charge
-someone must be in charge
-that should be clear

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
John 1:42New International Version (NIV)

42 And he brought him to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter[a]).

Footnotes:

John 1:42 Cephas (Aramaic) and Peter (Greek) both mean rock.

Bradley D

The true rock of the church/assembly. "Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I think that what He must have meant to say was "on THE BIBLE I will build My Church." :plain:

-you think?
-so why doesn't the bible say that?
-and
-why don't we have somebody in charge?
-to eliminate what everybody thinks
-you can see what everybody thinks
-but
-who has the authority?
-who has the keys?
-who has the power?
-the church

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
-you think?
-so why doesn't the bible say that?
-and
-why don't we have somebody in charge?
-to eliminate what everybody thinks
-you can see what everybody thinks
-but
-who has the authority?
-who has the keys?
-who has the power?
-the church
It doesn't matter
if
what He meant to say
was
upon THE BIBLE
I will build My Church

You understand. They don't care about the Holy See or about Peter or the keys to the eternal kingdom of our Maker. They don't even believe in the Trinity sometimes. They reject secular, nonreligious history. Facts! Ignored. Explained away. Glossed over. Scorned with reckless contempt.

The Bible.

Nothing else matters.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
-the church feeds us
-Jesus ask peter to feed His sheep
-the church teaches us
-the church guides us

KingdomRose

-18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter
-19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven
-peter got the keys
-and
-the power to bind and loose
-that means he was in charge
-someone must be in charge
-that should be clear

It's not evident from that that Peter was "in charge." I say that particularly because historically James was the one, apparently, taking the lead. Today we call men like that "the presiding overseer" in the congregation. When I read ACTS 15:13-20, I see JAMES as the one making the final decision about a matter.

KingdomRose

John 1:42New International Version (NIV)

42 And he brought him to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter[a]).

Footnotes:

John 1:42 Cephas (Aramaic) and Peter (Greek) both mean rock.

Yes, but Jesus himself is called the rock on which the church was built. He is the foundation, as I Corinthians 3:11 points out: "No one can lay any other foundation than what is laid, which is JESUS CHRIST."

And also: "You have been built up on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, while Christ Jesus himself is THE FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE." (Ephesians 2:20)

KingdomRose

-the church feeds us
-the church teaches us
-the church guides us

I see Jesus as being concerned that we choose the TRUE church to join up with, one that is on the narrow road to life. He said very clearly what to observe about religious leaders and apparent right standing with him. He said that FEW would be going in the right direction, on the road to life. So a majority doesn't make it the right way.

"Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it.

"Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inside they are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will recognize them....Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens. Many will say to me in that day: 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?' And then I will declare to them: 'I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!'" (Matthew 7: 13-23)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
-the church feeds us
-the church teaches us
-the church guides us
Yup, in all matters of faith, doctrine and morals. Plus, the sacraments; though these also are validly celebrated by the Holy Orthodox churches.