ECT The "Church" at Acts 2 Was Not the Body of Christ

Jerry Shugart

I will begin the by quoting this verse which speaks of the "church" at Acts 2:

"Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church (ekklesia) daily such as should be saved" (Acts 2:47).​

The Greek word translated "church" is ekklesia and that word can be found in the Greek version of the Old Testament (the LXX). Alfred Edersheim, a Jewish convert to Christianity and a respected Bible scholar, wrote the following:

"Nor would the term 'Church' sound strange in Jewish ears. The same Greek word (ekklesia), as the equivalent of the Hebrew 'Qahal,' 'convocation,' 'the called,' occurs in the LXX. rendering of the Old Testament, and in 'the Wisdom of the Son of Sirach' and was apparently in familiar use at that time. In Hebrew use it referred to Israel, not in their national but in their religious unity" [emphasis added] (Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah [Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. M. Eerdmans Publishing 1971] Book 3, Chapter 37, p.84).​

According to Edersheim the Greek word translated "church" was in familiar use and "it referred to Israel...in their religious unity."

Next, let us look at the events here which surrounded the ekklesia of Acts 2:

"For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams" (Acts 2:16-17).​

The exact same events are foretold here by Joel and these events surround the church, which in this case is Israel in her religious unity:

"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).​

So the ekklesia mentioned at Acts 2:47 is referring to Israel in her religious unity and it is not referring to the Body of Christ.

Cross Reference

"Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church (ekklesia) daily such as should be saved" (Acts 2:47).​

The Greek word translated "church" is ekklesia and that word can be found in the Greek version of the Old Testament (the LXX). Alfred Edersheim, a Jewish convert to Christianity and a respected Bible scholar, wrote the following:

"Nor would the term 'Church' sound strange in Jewish ears. The same Greek word (ekklesia), as the equivalent of the Hebrew 'Qahal,' 'convocation,' 'the called,' occurs in the LXX. rendering of the Old Testament, and in 'the Wisdom of the Son of Sirach' and was apparently in familiar use at that time. In Hebrew use it referred to Israel, not in their national but in their religious unity" [emphasis added] (Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah [Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. M. Eerdmans Publishing 1971] Book 3, Chapter 37, p.84).​

According to Edersheim the Greek word translated "church" was in familiar use and "it referred to Israel...in their religious unity."

"For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams" (Acts 2:16-17).​

The exact same events are foretold here by Joel and these events surround the church, which in this case is Israel in her religious unity:

"Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation (ekklesia) , assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts...And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions" (Joel 2:16,27-28).​

So the ekklesia mentioned at Acts 2:47 is referring to Israel in her religious unity and it is not referring to the Body of Christ.

Israel had no religious unity as the "Church"; Body of Christ, of Acts 2 exampled.

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

You are unable to see that the churches are the cradle for the members of Christs Church which is His Body, the Holy nation of Israel yet to be gathered, both the dead and the living.

LA

God's Truth

When the Holy Spirit came, the people who believed and obeyed Jesus were given the Holy Spirit...that is when they became the body of Christ.
There is only ONE GOSPEL, and ONE MESSAGE THAT SAVES. Jesus preached it, and it came to fruition after he ascended to the Father and gave those who obey the Holy Spirit.

DAN P

When the Holy Spirit came, the people who believed and obeyed Jesus were given the Holy Spirit...that is when they became the body of Christ.
There is only ONE GOSPEL, and ONE MESSAGE THAT SAVES. Jesus preached it, and it came to fruition after he ascended to the Father and gave those who obey the Holy Spirit.

Hi , and you say , but do not have proof that OP is wrong !!

Only the Lord ADDED ( imperfect tense ) to that EKKLESIA !! Acts 2:47 !!

The Holy Spirit is the ONLY that adds to the Body of Christ , 1 Cor 12:13 !:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Where is your proof ?

dan p

Last edited:

God's Truth

Hi , and you say , but do nopt have proof that OP is wrong !!

Only the Lord ADDED ( imperfect tense ) to that EKKLESIA !! Acts 2:47 !!

The Holy Spirit is the ONLY that adds to the Body of Christ , 1 Cor 12:13 !:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Where is your proof ?

dan p

Jesus had to ascend back to heaven before he would send the Holy Spirit. There is only one gospel preached, but the beleivers had to wait for the Holy Spirit.

Jerry Shugart

Why do you just ignore what I said in my initial post? The events of Acts 2 were foretold and those events were in regard to Israel in her religious unity.

The people who believed on the day of Pentecost were given the gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit and that is the gift to speak in tongues. And that is what happened when the Holy Spirit came upon them.

DAN P

Jesus had to ascend back to heaven before he would send the Holy Spirit. There is only one gospel preached, but the beleivers had to wait for the Holy Spirit.

Hi , and you say ONE Gospel ?

t Where is it found and what is it called ?

Give me a verse ?

I will give you a LIST of at least of 4 , minimum , want to try ?

Three in Galatians and one in Rev 14 :6-7 !

dan p

God's Truth

Why do you just ignore what I said in my initial post? The events of Acts 2 were foretold and those events were in regard to Israel in her religious unity.
I have ignored nothing. Help me then, show me exactly what you think I am ignoring.
Help me see what you see. Why do you think I have ignored something?
The people who believed on the day of Pentecost were given the gift bestowed by the Holy Spirit and that is the gift to speak in tongues. And that is what happened when the Holy Spirit came upon them.

The gift of the Holy Spirit is given to ALL who believe and are saved.

God's Truth

Hi , and you say ONE Gospel ?

t Where is it found and what is it called ?

Give me a verse ?

I will give you a LIST of at least of 4 , minimum , want to try ?

Three in Galatians and one in Rev 14 :6-7 !

dan p

Jesus.

There that is it.

Jerry Shugart

Yes, they were to wait for the Holy Spirit to come upon them for power:

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:8).​

That power was the ability to speak in tongues.

God's Truth

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:8).​

They didn't just speak in tongues, they healed people, they gave sight to the blind, and the paralyzed walked, and they raised people from the dead.

Cross Reference

Is that what being a witness is all about __ tongues speaking??

What's wrong with my mind? should be the question you should be asking yourself?

Jerry Shugart

They didn't just speak in tongues, they healed people, they gave sight to the blind, and the paralyzed walked, and they raised people from the dead.

The only gift they received on the day of Pentecost was to be able to speak in tongues. The other gifts came later.

Jerry Shugart

Is that what being a witness is all about __ tongues speaking??

The speaking in tongues was in fulfillment of what was foretold here:

The Greek word translated "prophecy" has a much wider meaning than foretelling future events. It also means "to utter forth, declare, a thing which can only be known by divine revelation" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon). That is exactly what happened when the believers began to speak in tongues on the day of Pentecost.

These tongues were know languages so the Lord was speaking to men through the believers:

"Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?" (Acts 2:6-8).​

To answer your question, the Lord chose that method to witness to men but that is not the only way that we can witness to others.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Jerry, you said the following in your Theology Club thread (I can't use the quote function because I'm not a member of the Theology Club)

"All of the Jewish believers living in the first century did indeed call on the name of Jesus Christ so therefore all of them belonged to the Body of Christ." - Jerry Shugart

So, how could the Jews of the Acts 2 church not be members of the BOC when we look at your statement above which says "all Jewish believers in the first century belonged to the BOC?

Jerry Shugart

One verse proves that the Acts 2 church was indeed the Body of Christ:

(Acts 9:4) He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"

The Jewish church which Paul was attacking was established by the Lord Jesus so when Paul attacked that church He was in effect persecuting the Lord Jesus.

Of course, you did not even attempt to answer anything which I said in my initial post.

Cat got your tongue?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The only gift they received on the day of Pentecost was to be able to speak in tongues. The other gifts came later.

Paul spoke several languages as many people do today. The speaking of other languages was not listed as a fruit of the Spirit by Paul.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV)​